Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TNA Impact 4/2/09

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TNA apparently set yet another record rating with a 1.3

- Impact had its largest average audience ever (1,970,000 viewers - nearly 100,000 more than the previous high) on Thursday, April 2 (9:00-11:00pm)

- Impact also had its highest M18-49 (1.3) and M18-34 (1.3) ratings to date for a 2 hour telecast.

- Impact scored a 1.33 cable rating on 4/2, a 1.3 in M18-49, a .9 in P18-49, a 1.3 in M18-34, and an average audience of 1.97 million viewers.

- Competitive Ranking - Among Basic Cable Networks between 9p-11p, TNA ranked #2 in M18-49 and M18-34 behind TNT (NBA basketball).

Qtr hours:

source: Nielsen Media Research

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know what, with the upcoming spoilers showing good shows are coming, those ratings might just keep up.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
It's a shame I wasn't that impressed with last night's show but
the return of Christopher Daniels in two weeks should kick all kinds of ass.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You're not kidding JHawk. Especially considering
who he wrestles.. Kurt Angle

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From the looks of the way mometum is heading at the moment...it looks like they should do some better buys for Lockdown. I'd like to think that they'd recognize that some better written building of matches (Foley/Sting promos, Beer Money/3D promos, and Lethal Lockdown are all being done better than they generally do things) leading to ppvs results in better numbers...but they did a good job building Lockdown last year and then spent the next full year ignoring that is worked. Last years Joe/Angle build was the best the company has ever done IMO. As soon as it was over they went right back to business as usual though.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alright, guys.. I HATE Lauren. The backstage girl. She's fucking terrible.

Whenever she interviews a heel and he goes into heel mode, she gets the typical girl look on her face when she's around a geek. She gets a look of disgust as in 'why am I next to this moron'?

She constantly acts like she doesn't want to be there and it's very offputting.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How long has Stevie Richards been on TNA TV? I haven't watched Impact in a few weeks.

This is a strange segment with Abyss.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He hasn't been on long. They've done 4 or 5 of the Dr. Stevie segments in the back...but he's never been referred to as Stevie Richards...even though everyone knows it is

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When he was on top of Abyss screaming at him, I was awaiting 'I'll show you.. you'll see'.

Silence

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Adam said:
Alright, guys.. I HATE Lauren. The backstage girl. She's fucking terrible.

Whenever she interviews a heel and he goes into heel mode, she gets the typical girl look on her face when she's around a geek. She gets a look of disgust as in 'why am I next to this moron'?

She constantly acts like she doesn't want to be there and it's very offputting.

Since TNA likes to replace blonde interviewers every year, expect her to be gone before the end of 2009.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't know where else to post this, so here it goes.

Female Japanese Talent Ayako Hamada has signed with TNA

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=37849&p=1

The Ito Dojo held a press conference today at Colosseo to announce the card for their Apr. 19 show. But Ayako Hamada announced that her match against Kaoru Ito in the main event of this show would be her final appearance in Japan and she has signed with TNA.

Though she has spent most of her 11 year wrestling career in Japan, she was born Feb. 14, 1981 in Mexico City. Her father El Gran Hamada currently works for Michinoku Pro and her older sister Xochitl was a wrestler in the 90s. Back in 1997, women weren't a big part of the Lucha Libre scene so Ayako's dad took her to Japan to work for the new company ARSION. Ayako is considered a protege of Aja Kong. Ayako was very popular and won several titles but things started to go sour after Aja left ARSION in Feb. 2001. She left in Jan. 2002 and expressed interest in working for the WWE. So she's been interested in coming to the US for a long time.

Though Ayako was technically a freelancer, she worked exclusively for GAEA beginning with Akira Hokuto's retirement match in Apr. 2002 and that included a title run teaming with Meiko Satomura. She branched out in 2003 and won the WWWA Singles Title over Monoe Nakanishi on AJW's 35th anniversary show in May 2003.

At the beginning of her career, Ayako usually went home to Mexico once a year. As the Japanese business continued to flounder and CMLL began to show more interest in women's wrestling, she went home more frequently. She worked for AAA mostly because of her long friendship with the Apache Sisters and also worked for CMLL. Three years ago Ayako started working as a trainer for the Kaoru Ito Professional Wrestling Classroom. She continued to wrestle occasionally but I suspect her price may have been too high for some of the other joshi feds.

With the joshi business still stagnating and Ayako way too young to be semi retired, it's not surprising that she would sign with TNA. She's always wanted to work for one of the big US companies and she really has nothing left to accomplish in Japan or Mexico. You can be sure that Awesome Kong is glad to see her as the two have had some tremendous matches like their May 2, 2004 match for the WWWA Singles Title.

Ayako is also very good friends with Samoa Joe going back to the days when he used to go to Japan on a regular basis.

From what I've seen of her on youtube she seems good, anyone else familiar with her work?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't seen her work...But Meltzer wrote in the Observer that she is far better than anyone TNA has. So her vs. Kong can hopefully bring back some of the awesomeness the title had when Gail Kim was there.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
ayako hamada vs aja kong (part1)

For anyone interested.

If they built on her Joshi background as something unique they might have something. Although saying that, what percentage of TNA fans would really care about Joshi, besides the fact that they like Awesome Kong?

Assuming they're still around, what's the betting she's alligned with Kiyoshi and No Limit?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd say that's likely. I'm not sure how long No Limit will be around...but Kiyoshi isn't going anywhere. She'll get over pretty easily if she has good matches with Kong. That's all anyone really cares about I think. Kong rules.

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From Alex Shelley's LJ: he, Sabin & Petey Williams have formed a band...

-----

I dunno how many people still read this or use livejournal but it's worth a shot.

So, over the years, I remembered that a lot of people with pretty solid musical taste used to frequent my journal. Lord knows if they still do or not, and while music is a lot like food in that you can't tell someone what tastes/sounds good or bad, I stand by an affinity for punk, 6t's rnr, and garage. Even the newer "revivalist" bands are pretty good, despite the fact I consider garage rock to be inna state of constant revival anyways.

That said, me, Sabin, and Petey Williams formed a band with 2/3 of Idol and The Whip. Pure garage punk stylee.

Check us out! Please and thank you.

www.myspace.com/thehighcrusade

We played our first show last night. More to come!

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They sent out a text alert that a "former world champion from another company" was in negotiations and that they hoped to have a deal done by Lockdown.

I would Really Really Really Really like to see Tazz take over on color in TNA. Plus...Lockdown is in Philly and Tazz has no no-compete clause...the pop would be awesome.

Silence

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TNA should use one of The High Crusade's songs for MCMG's new theme since their current one still sucks.

LuckyLopez

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hamada's been one of those people I've been aware of for a few years and liked enough of what I saw to really want to see her more. Her and Sarah Stock, so if the latter's rumors prove true I think that would be pretty awesome for TNA.

I don't know that I really feel the Kiyoshi/Bashir/No Limit group so I'm not sure I want to see Hamada as part of it. But I do imagine her coming in as a heel as it seems Kong is going face. Kong playing hesitant face for awhile without Saed, teaming up with the likes of Taylor Wilde and Daffney could lead to Saed returning angry and bringing Hamada in. Could work for a nice introduction and kick to the division.

I can't however get excited for Hamada after getting excited for Stock supposedly signing with TNA and months later still waiting to hear if that actually happened or not.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Stock thing was pretty much just an internet rumor though wasn't it? Hamada confirmed this her self.

LuckyLopez

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:
The Stock thing was pretty much just an internet rumor though wasn't it? Hamada confirmed this her self.
That's what I was assuming, BS like the "Mistico/Negro Casas to WWE" rumors from a year or so back. But I read somewhere or another that Dave Prazak, founder of SHIMMER, said Stock was signed to TNA but had a list of commitments left to fill. How legit that is I have no idea but it did breath new life into my hopes. And I figure if its being credited to someone notable by name that throws a LITTLE credibility behind it.

Of course a better source than Lordsofpain.net quoting a messageboard would be nice.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna/1325.html
-- There are two conflicting stories regarding "Dark Angel" Sarah Stock's status with TNA Wrestling. As reported earlier, Mexican wrestling news website SuperLuchas.net is denying reports of Stock signing with TNA. Although, they acknowledge that there have been negotiations between the two sides, but a deal has yet to be reached. On the other hand, SHIMMER Women Athletes founder Dave Prazak is saying she is headed to TNA as Stock personally told him herself (she appears on his shows). Prazak wrote the following on the official SHIMMER forum:

"Actually, the only reason I didn't report it first is because Sarah didn't give me the green light to do so. PWInsider broke the information on the net first, but that doesn't make the news any less accurate."

While she'll likely wind up in TNA, it probably won't be for a while. Stock has a number of CMLL dates to fulfill, which is her number one priority.