Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Toys to Life Game Thread

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Thought we had a thread on this topic but searching around didn't find one. Anyone ever jump in on this?

I know I thought the Skylanders concept was interesting but quite a cash grab when it rolled around. As Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions were released, I was always tempted.

In November, Best Buy had a huge sale on Lego Dimensions. I had some certificates and with that and the sale I probably got like $600 worth of the stuff for around $100 out of pocket getting the base game and some characters/sets I was interested in (Portal, Simpsons, DC Comics). Been busy with life stuff and didn't chance to set it all up but liked some of the stuff I have and read about.

Then right before Thanksgiving, Best Buy had the Disney Infinity dirt cheap. I guess this is in preparation of the cancellation but they had the starter kit for Version 3.0 for $9 after my discount and a lot of the $13-$15 figures ranging from 40 to 80 cents. So I got like $300 worth of Disney Infinity for $30.

Having fun the little bit I messed with both since getting cheap but seeing as I am usually a collection completionist and interested in so many of the properties of these games, this could've been insanely pricey.

Lego is cool because there is one base game and it continues to grow with the packs they sell and updates they do. It plays just like all the other Lego games where each character has their specialty but it can be a pain in the ass because at times it wanted me to get up and switch where characters figures were standing on the platform. Getting the whole setup at once is a litlte tricky with this one because you have to build everything but there is some fun "extended play" in there, as I can't remember the last time I messed with Legos - just don't go in looking for a quick start.

I kinda enjoy some aspects of Disney Infinity more. The original built on a lot of the popular Disney characters of recent years. Version 2 focused on Marvel and a few other Disney trickled in. Version 3 brought more Disney, more Marvel and then brought in all kinds of Star Wars. I guess while this made a ton of money for Disney, it "underperformed" to some's standards as they mass produced figures not wanting any to be hard - like I hear Nintendo's Amiibo line has characters that are impossible to find and sell for hundreds online.

Now that the game is shut down, there are a few hard to get. I noticed in getting a bunch of the ones for $4 or less that Baymax from Big Hero 6 is hard to find and expensive. I'm kind of weird about getting used ones because they are basically little storage discs, so the used Iron Man I got cheap came all pre-leveled.

The thing with Disney, which I see as being a pain buying at full-price, was if you got the Spider-man set from Season 2, you can use Spider-man and Nova that came with it but that actually playset only works with Season 2. So I ended up buying the Season 2 kit for $8 online. You can use 1-3 in V.3 but can't use characters from V.3 in the earlier games. Seeing the first one isn't on Xbox One, I got the original kit for the 3DS since I found it for $13 shipped and it came with Sully/Jack Sparrow/Mr. Incredible - though the 3DS version is supposedly pretty panned as just a collection of junky mini-games.

The online servers for Infinity shut down in March, so I am downloading some of the expansive games built by the community, which includes legit game developers. Heard great stuff for people who like building their own levels, which isn't really a specialty of mine but may be fun to try with the variety of properties involved.

Basically, I got big chunks of two of these properties at heavy discounts but still probably spent a good amount. I think there had been people in Lego game threads talking about Dimensions before but figure we can go Toys To Life in here - anyone have it? Thoughts? Questions? Blind or justified hatred?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If anyone on the fence on jumping in, Best Buy has a sae in their 1/1 ad where it is all going to be the cheapest prices, especially if you have GCU.

With GCU, all fun packs will be $4.79 (normally $11.99), team packs $9.99 (normally $24.99), Level Packs for $11.99 (normally $29.99) and Story Packs will be $19.99 (normally $49.99) - the starter isn't listed to be as cheap as it was over the holidays but a good time to pick up some stuff if you have the main game or thinking about watching for sales.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Some of the Disney stuff getting cheaper and cheaper in prep for the server shutdown, so you can still get in to load stuff before shutdown to make this playable.

Anyone interested in Legos with the pink 99 Cent Only stores around (think they are all CA/AZ/TX), they have a ton of the early Dimensions sets, including some of the recent out of print ones, popping up in stores for 99 cents. If you don't have a store nearby, resellers are drowning the market on eBay for sets that retail for around $30 for about $6 last I heard.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Best Buy continues to have sales on everything Lego Dimensions so I just got the two new (and final?) fun packs of Hermoine and Chase from Lego City for $10. Think I have every piece to this game but the new Goonies set which I think has only been at the $30-ish price point.

Looking how much I spent on this game, it was a lot but I got everything way below retail. Seeing I like the Lego games, it will be fun once I really sit down and get involved in it, as I haven't played much - but the reasons I stayed away, I can only imagine the people who dropped full price on stuff - ridiculous prices.