Trump's Taxes Leaked: NYT Article

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, this will sway a small segment of his/the erstwhile Republican Party's voters. It doesn't have to be a large number to turn a few states' electoral votes. And, maybe, but a more probable outcome, this might cement some of the remaining undecided votes for Biden. Again, probably not a large amount, but almost certainly larger than the GOP crossovers, and enough to turn the states that need turning.

And this could help some of the close, incredibly important Senate races down ballot.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1601253024170.png
from MAD Magazine almost 30 years ago. I would like to be more optimistic but I don’t see it as a huge game changer but like snuffy said, I would settle for a small to medium game changer rn.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Small is all not-Nazis need to flip Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've written off this changing his base too. I'm more curious how the independents/undecideds leaning Trump react to this though especially in the key swing states. Nobody likes seeing others pay fewer taxes especially somebody who is supposedly as rich as Trump claims himself to be.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think a lot of the reaction I've seen from middle class and closer to the poverty line is on the rare occasions we pick up overtime shifts (just recently I had a pay period with 30 hours of overtime and Labor day) our biweekly tax deduction sniffs close to that $700 margin he paid in entire years, and the wage earners I'm reading are pissed. (note: I have no idea how payroll and W4s work other than to know they're a thing and sometimes get botched)

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that's unfortunately accurate for working people. No, I do not think it will be a large number of voters swayed. I used the words "small" and, repeatedly, "maybe" above for reasons. But, again, it need not be a large number. If a few thousand new voters, a few thousand 3rd party or sat it out voters, and a few thousand of 'undecideds' go for Biden, and, maybe, a thousand, or just hundreds, of Trump voters switch, that's enough for states like MI and WI.

Yes, to the vast majority of his voters, Trump has literally become their god. But I am not talking about big percentage points switching. But, with the above scenario, just a fraction of a percent would shift dozens of electoral votes. Just a fraction of 1 percent of people too disgusted by a celebrity politician paying less in taxes than they do digging ditches, mucking stalls, welding mufflers, changing depends, and stocking shelves.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trump only won Rust Belt States by 10k-15k which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. I'm more optimistic about Biden's chances than I was Hillary cause we've seen what Trump will do as POTUS (not much and stuff he does do is NOT GOOD) plus weaker 3rd party candidates than in 2016. I'm very, very cautiously optimistic but who knows what the next 5 weeks will bring? *sigh*

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The NYT didn't leave Chris Wallace much time to figure out how to defend the president on this front tomorrow night.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah this doesn't change anything. Most people are happy that he's sticking it to the IRS.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most people? Are many people saying that? Are you looking into it very strongly?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
On social media I'm certainly seeing a lot of people saying he's smart for finding tax loopholes and that we would all do the same in the same situation. This isn't just two or three dolts on Twitter with single-digit followers. I would link to some but don't want to give these people the time of day.

As was said before, his followers are very unlikely to be moved by this.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On social media I'm certainly seeing a lot of people saying he's smart for finding tax loopholes and that we would all do the same in the same situation. This isn't just two or three dolts on Twitter with single-digit followers. I would link to some but don't want to give these people the time of day.

As was said before, his followers are very unlikely to be moved by this.

That's because if they had millions of dollars they would do the same thing.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Social media is a terrible barometer. I can point to a "lot" of people who are saying they are now voting for Biden who have lots of followers too. It's a giant morass of bullshit, fake accounts, posturing and anecdotal evidence. It's everything wrong with the world and the truest form of human nature at the same time.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with the possibility, slim though (imo) real, that a fraction of one percent of voters will switch sides instead of using the twitter measuring stick & saying it will change zero votes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
brb. I'm going to the nearest hipster coffee shop to ask the millennial customers what they think of Trump's tax returns.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why bother when you can just read whatever Jacob Wohl made up about 20/30-somethings that work 2-3 jobs.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No. God lieutenant Barr is more focused on Hunter Biden.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Drudge is ensuring that millions of Republicans are seeing this Trump tax stuff in bright blinking lights. Disrespectful!