Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TSM COVID Kitchen

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Normally, my cooking tops out at cheesy eggs or nachos. With a lot of free time on my hand, I've had time to try out things that I kind of wanted to do in my back of my mind but never prioritized. I've been making a lot of homemade pizzas and I cooked a pork butt (low and slow baby) in the oven yesterday.

This weekend, I'm going to make sausage and peppers sandwiches for WRESTLEMANIA RESTRICTED, when normally I'd be like "Hey what's the goofiest fast food I can order?"

I know a lot of people have been baking and flour has joined soap, hand sanitizer, and TOILET PAPER (has anyone been able to explain this one) as items that are sold out at p. much every grocery store. Although one of the Asian markets just posted that they still have plenty of flour. I WONDER WHY PEOPLE WON'T GO THERE!
Racism

Even with this extra time on my hand to explore the culinary arts, I doubt I'll get into baking outside of pizzas unless this isolation stretches into August/September.
Misogyny

So what's cooking in your kitchen, TSM?

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used my crock pot for the first time in about 5 years last night.

https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/06/best-crockpot-bbq-chicken.html

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bought pork butt that I'll probably roast tomorrow to take over to my parents and then use some for split pea soup in a few days.

I'm trying to cut weight, so some of the recipes are not exciting, but I'm just cutting back on pre-lifting calories and am going to try more chicken & pork slow cooker recipes this week.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
treble said:

That chicken looks right up my alley. I actually have all the ingredients but the Worcestershire sauce, so ordering a bottle now to try

I had surgery earlier this year that limited my cooking ability (due to bending and lifting restrictions) but I just made my spinach enchiladas for the first time in months recently.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My moods for cooking and braving the elements to order groceries has started to vary. Today I had a couple fistfuls of honey mustard pretzel bites and some spicy Italian pickle spears for breakfast. I remembered the old Poor Man's Delight thread here.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
yeah my motivation to constantly cook is waning. I've started eating more frozen shit. i won't stoop to eating marie shitender's, though.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'd love to cook more, actually. It's just with how hit or miss trips to the grocery store can be with what's in stock that's been keeping me with trying new things in the kitchen. Since this whole thing started, I've only been eating fresh fruit, salad, grilled cheese sandwiches and veggie burgers.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Broccoli and Cauliflower are good friends of mine nowadays. Same with cheese, blackberrys and well, any berries. Cooked mushrooms are the best. I too have been freezing food more.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Been trying to buy from local butchers and grocers as much as I can afford. Been eating a lot of hogs head cheese (souse meat in other parts of the country), boudin, crawfish. Also at the local grocers I've been enjoying cheap stuff like sardines, corned beef hash, bologna. Stuff likely to put me in an early grave.

Wal-mart here is opening an hour earlier than the rest of the places, so when I'm on nights, it's easier to go sit in their parking lot for 30 minutes until they open as opposed to 90 minutes for the local.

For take out, we've been using the local equivalent to Uber Eats/Doordash and trying to make sure it's only the mom and pops. The only issue with eliminating national chains is that they still employ locals, so it's not something that should be an absolute stand.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Made an Easter ham for my parents bathed in Founders Dirty Bastard Ale, plus some basic spices. I usually get a lot of cooking anxiety when I am making food for others (in this case I thought I scorched it, but that was just the burnt ends). It was pretty awesome, and I used the rest for split pea and ham soup, which also caused me angst since I kept waiting for the dried split peas to soften....

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So bored I made a marinade for some chicken thighs I had in the freezer. Honey BBQ sauce, hot sauce, peanut butter, and mirin all mixed together. Honestly...PRETTY GOOD!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I made a Brussel sprouts salad with chopped up bacon, craisins, and sliced almonds with a honey mustard/pear cider dressing.

Something I NEVER imagined myself making two months ago.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
i guess i'm not cultured but that sounds worse than those pizza pics you posted WILL SOMEONE GET ME A HAPPY MEAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tQKwWTxs9g

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last night's meal was IPA beer cheese ziti with some smoked sausage with diced up onions, peppers, garlic, and green apple. Mannnnnnn, that was a good dinner. Would've posted pictures of it but I was too busy eatin'.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
treble said:

Just got done putting this together for later. Smells really good so far.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I looked up the cost of a tofu press. Wasn't seriously considering buying it when pressing it between two heavy plates does a fine enough job but I think the fact that I was curious shows how much time I've spent in kitchen last three months.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’ve still been fairly lazy. Like I can make a lasagna pretty easy but I’m breaking out frozen lasagna that I normally wouldn’t. Need to sit down and get some fresher foods but early on I was stocking up so much shelf stable and frozen type things that I need to work my way through the trash still.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's come and gone during the pandemic. I've also done a lot of Stouffer's Dinners and DoorDash. Tonight was a combination. I did some nice home fries with some random ass vegan parmesan cheese in the fridge, garlic, salt & pepper with some Morningstar Buffalo fake chicken patties. I'm doing inverse tomorrow, making "homemade" tofu nuggets with frozen tater tots. Monday, I'm going to attempt to make make some stir fry calamari.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Made a some killer bone in-pork chops with a soy honey mustard sauce.

I put them on a rack and put some diced baby red potatoes and onions underneath to catch all of the excess pork fat and sauce drippings. Bah gawd.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I found Pad Thai sauce at the store recently so been making all sorts of noodle dishes these past few weeks trying to perfect one that I can brag on social media about. Still experimenting.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's everyone making tomorrow? You doing traditional Thanksgiving dinner or something different based on unusual nature of this year's holidays?

I'm going latter route since it's just me and the lady. I'm going to make corn chowder with bacon & scallops, butternut squash macaroni & cheese, and a roasted vegetable medley (brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and I think carrots). GF is one of the few women (or really people in general but definitely one of only women I know) who doesn't like sweets at all so we'll probably skip dessert. I might get a pint of Ben & Jerry's or something though just to really tie it together.

Oh and shrimp cocktail for an appetizer since I randomly found jumbo shrimp in the freezer.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We will be doing a combination of traditional thanksgiving food but all vegan and for the non vegan element of my family, We will have steak and seafood boil.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We will probably get take out [whatever's open] since it will be just my fake brothers (childhood friends whom I always have Thanksgiving with) and I. Their mom usually cooks for the whole family but we aren't doing any of that this year.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Actually, I just talked to them. We have plenty of Thanksgivings left so we are just gonna all stay home. Maybe we will make it up around Christmas, although I doubt things will improve that drastically.