Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TSM goes Step by Step to the Full House of Family Matters

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hung over and watching Full House reruns. Ugh. This is not helping anything. Bob Saget just paid the kids to pretend they enjoy his hippie girlfriends' cooking. Who does that?

The episode where Stephanie hangs out with a bunch of smokers ( :eek: ) is next, bob_barron.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

I think the producers of Full House were hinting at something by having poor Candace Cameron on a treadmill during the opening credit.

Aw man, it's from one of those later seasons Uncle Jesse had those annoying twins. Why'd they try to cash in on the success of the Olsen Twins when they already had the Olsen Twins?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Thanks for reminding me, Kamala. I'll watch it now.

I wouldn't call Vicki a hippie, she was more of an upper class woman who liked snobbish food. They actually did an episode where DJ thought she was fat and became anorexic. Which, she kind of was, so maybe it was a good thing.

The smokers episode is a classic. Which do you like better- Teen Talk or Yakking With Youth?

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Kung Kamala said:
Hung over and watching Full House reruns. Ugh. This is not helping anything. Bob Saget just paid the kids to pretend they enjoy his hippie girlfriends' cooking. Who does that?

The episode where Stephanie hangs out with a bunch of smokers ( :eek: ) is next, bob_barron.

I feel very sad to know the food in question is goat cheese pizza, which they all enjoyed legit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Hey! I think Michelle's friend was in Kindergarten Cop. I always wondered why Jodie Sweetin has never posed for Playboy. I guess there's still time.

Fun fact: The episode of Full House where Stephanie went to a makeout party set up unrealistic terrifying/awesome expectations of what middle school would actually be like. God, twelve year old Kamala was such a weenie.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Kimmy Gibbler just dropped a wrestling reference.

I've seen every episode of this damn show albeit most of them years and years ago and I barely remember D.J's boyfriend, let alone him being a regular.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Miko Hughes, yes, he was in Kindergarten Cop. He looks so different now.

The makeout episode is one I don't recall seeing the original run, so I was shocked to see it in sydnication. That and the Andrew Keegan episode were the last two episodes I saw.

Am I the only one who owns a copy of Unsweetined?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Steve was a regular in Season 7, as DJ and him started dating while she spent the summer in Spain.

They had known each other prior to that, as DJ and him went to the movies once. Her plans were foiled when she had to babysit Stephanie and Michelle and took them along as well.

They broke up when DJ realised the fire was gone in their relationship, though he showed up in the series finale to take DJ to the senior prom.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Steve was the voice of Aladdin. Didn't Miko Hughes also get his head stuck in a stairway banister?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

That was another kid, I think his name was Tommy? They got him out with mayonnaise.

The Tanners did look after Aaron in the afternoons in one episode as I believe his mother was working

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Unsweetined was a great book even if it didn't delve into Full House as much as I would have liked.

Kung Kamala said:
I think the producers of Full House were hinting at something by having poor Candace Cameron on a treadmill during the opening credit.

Aw man, it's from one of those later seasons Uncle Jesse had those annoying twins. Why'd they try to cash in on the success of the Olsen Twins when they already had the Olsen Twins?

They only used one Olsen Twin at a time and wanted to cash in on actually having twins. Also you know how these shows always try to add kids as the series progresses.. pretty much every sitcom tried it eventually.

And yeah, amazing foresight to say 'this 15 year old will eventually have kids and may need to lose weight, get her on a treadmill now so we look like geniuses in 15 years.'

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Unsweetined was fantastic, in that it was terrible. I don't believe that she is now clean and sober. As someone who loved Stephanie Tanner growing up, Jodie Sweetin really comes off like a horrible person. What a cunt.

Her 2nd husband is on facebook and has nothing but bad things to say about her.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Yea, Marla Sokoloff became quite attractive. She has a nice rack.

She was a regular on The Practice (she sued her dentist for nibbling her breasts and a neighbour in her building spied on her in the shower) and starred on the ABC sitcom Big Day. She was also in the movie where Mrs. Seinfeld gives Andy Griffith head.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

wnyxmcneal said:
Unsweetined was fantastic, in that it was terrible. I don't believe that she is now clean and sober. As someone who loved Stephanie Tanner growing up, Jodie Sweetin really comes off like a horrible person. What a cunt.

This is why it's a great book. She makes excuses on practically every page. She's like Lindsay Lohan without the inexplicable popularity.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Psycho Penguin said:
wnyxmcneal said:

This is why it's a great book. She makes excuses on practically every page. She's like Lindsay Lohan without the inexplicable popularity.

Glad we're on the same page then, Psycho Penguin. At the end she's like: I'm clean, y'all, but she's still only allowed supervised visits with her daughter

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

The page where she says 'at least I'm not having sex for drugs! I have my morals!' or some shit was fantastic.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Uncle Joey is the worst character in sitcom history. Him and Urkel can go to hell. In fact, Urkel wasn't just a stalker-he's was a budding rapist. The final episode of "Family Matters should have ended with Carl planting cocaine in Urkel's basement or whatever, and the Winslow family coming to grips with the fact that Urkel is a creep who watches Laura through a telescope with his pants down his ankles. All while the police beat Urkel mercilessly.

Come on, the idea of police brutality directed at Steve Urkel is fucking hilarious.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Psycho Penguin said:
The page where she says 'at least I'm not having sex for drugs! I have my morals!' or some shit was fantastic.

Agreed. Or when she's like: Come on guys, at least I didn't do heroin! Or when she throws up at DJ's wedding, or when she ODs with these guys and passes out on the LA sidewalk.

I need to re-read that book

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

'Uncle' Joey was a creepy bastard, but I wouldn't put him up there with the worst characters in sitcom history no.

wnyxmcneal said:
Psycho Penguin said:

Agreed. Or when she's like: Come on guys, at least I didn't do heroin! Or when she throws up at DJ's wedding, or when she ODs with these guys and passes out on the LA sidewalk.

I need to re-read that book

What's crazy is those probably aren't even the craziest stories. She has had a pretty fucked up life.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Kung Kamala said:
I don't understand gary floyd's HTQ level hatred towards Family Matters star Michael Jaleel White.
Honestly, half of it is just a joke. I hate the character, but not that much. The idea of Urkel being the recipient of police brutality does crack me up to no end. Come on, imagine it.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Full House Divided

wnyxmcneal said:
And Gary Floyd, would you be okay if someone mixed up who was an uncle and who wasn't in a horror movie you love?
Not really.

Psycho Penguin said:
The whole storyline with Urkel becoming cool via some magic machine was one of the stupidest storylines in sitcom history.
It's internationally accepted that "Family Matters" jumped the shark so to speak when they started adding shitty Sci-Fi plots, to a point that none of the characters were surprised when Urkel and Carl went back in time or whatever.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Re: Joey

Yea, Joey was kind of an odd duck, but he didn't have a father growing up, and when his father was around, he was kind of a douche, so that explains why he used cartoons and comedy as an escape.

Also, the family made him live in the alcove when he moved in, while Jesse got his own room. Hello, second class citizen.

I always thought it was weird that they never even attempted to give Joey a long-term relationship. The only girl he had that lasted for more than one episode was Roxanne, and she sucked. I guess when you have a full house, there's only so many stories to go around.

I always liked the episode where Joey flips on the family for thinking he's a big joke.

They never called him Uncle Joey. He was just Joey. Jesse was Uncle Jesse. It's just that people get mixed up.

Re: Family Matters

Yea, it jumped the shark when Urkel became Stefan for the first time. Once you do that, there's no growing back. I remember the 7th season premiere, when they transported to Paris (?) and I realised that Family Matters had passed me by.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

I think they didn't have Joey be in a relationship much was because the show focused a lot on Jesse and Danny's relationships, and yeah it'd be hard to juggle all three, especially with the teenage girls getting into their own storylines. Plus he was always seen as the comedic relief I suppose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he initially like the woman that Danny ended up with? Like invited her to dinner and Danny stole her or some shit?

The Uncle Joey Freakout was one of the better episodes in the series.

Did you hear there are plans for a Full House reunion movie? They might as well just call it The Surreal Life at this point.

Jesse called him Uncle Joey to his sons once, but more of a 'did you guys have fun with uncle today' kind of thing, wow I always forget he was never referred to as an uncle. It really WAS always Uncle Jesse and Joey. No wonder poor Joey felt so abused.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full House Divided

Waldo Faldo is the funniest character. Ever. No debate.

Youtube the episode where Waldo testifies in court...it's so funny.

I always liked the Speed rip-off where Carl has to stay on a treadmill.

re: Joey-

Don't remember the backstory between Danny and Pam and Joey, just that they met in college and Danny and Pam married really young.

If you mean Vicki, then no. Vicki replaced Becky on Wake Up San Francisco and they went out so Danny could prove he was a nice guy.

Here's one:

Danny is always there to send the kids off to school, so when did Wake Up San Francisco actually air? If it aired in the morning, wouldn't he be at the studio when the kids are going to school? Even if it aired at 10 or 11, well, San Fran has already woken up.