Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TSM Question of the Day (6-10-21) : What's your relationship with caffeine?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's right a FOOD FOLDER edition of QOTD.

Posting this cause I'm out of coffee for at least the next few days until I get my paycheck and can make it to the store. I'm trying to hack it with AHA Caffeine Sparkling Water but it isn't hitting quite the same.

I got to say even though problem was never nearly as bad, not drinking caffeine (COFFEE in particular) is a lot harder than not drinking alcohol. I just feel like caffeine gives me the extra push I need to really seize the day. Exercise helps some with energy levels but I don't think I could live a caffeine free lifestyle. No siree. I don't know how the Mormons do it.

I drink roughly 3 to 4 cups of coffee a day. Usually try to keep my coffee consumption between late morning and late afternoon. I like to ease my way into the day and drinking it after 5 PM sometimes keeps me up at night cause I'm a big baby.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Caffeine is all mental. Your mind tricks you into thinking you want/need it. It's harder for me to go without caffeine than alcohol but for someone that's never been a heavy drinker it's easy for me to say.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Caffeine is all mental. Your mind tricks you into thinking you want/need it. It's harder for me to go without caffeine than alcohol but for someone that's never been a heavy drinker it's easy for me to say.
I've never actively tried to go without caffeine for more than a few days, week's max. I've done sober free stretches for up to a month at a time but mannn, idea of a caffeine free September just seems terrible.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to drink a pot a day, but I cut it down to one cup every morning about a year ago. I sometimes have a cup of tea in the afternoon as a slight pick-me-up if I'm feeling draggy, but that's mostly it. I pretty much never drink pop anymore, too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, I stopped drinking soda years ago and pretty much exclusively drink water and seltzer.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never drunk coffee, and cut out regular consumption of soda a few years ago. Fast food or pizza joints call for having a soda, but those places aren't regular components of my diet. I did have 1 of those small cans of Coke at the gf's last weekend, which is the 1st time I've had a soda in probably months.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Back when I was religious I gave up caffeine for Lent 2000/1(?) and did so well I was off of it until a work trip to Western PA in 2006. My dad's side the family was only 3 hours further west in Eastern Ohio so on the Sunday I took the rental for a drive to visit all the ones that would probably be dead the next time I'm this close to the state. The ride back I was dozing, pulled into "last gas for X miles" station a bought a red bull. Since then I've been off and on energy drinks. Usually I'm trying to quit because I'm a heart patient, but the doctor said he'd rather me drink energy drinks than prescribe me something to stay awake on night shifts. That a 32 ounce Monster is safer than *insert pharmaceutical.*

I'm current ON caffeine, hoping to be off when I get my counselor license and have more stability work wise.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Never been a coffee guy. I do enjoy an ice cold pepsi now and then. So I do get some caffeine.

Before bed I usually drink chamomile tea with valerian root to help me sleep.

Reaction score
One coffee a day. I mostly drink it because I like how it tastes with sugar. And obviously cafe con leche.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Maybe worth a thread all its own, but it seems nothing you eat or drink, outside of celery and water is good for you without proper moderation.

Veganism robs you of B-12, which can fuck your heart up. brussel sprouts are good for fiber, unless you eat too many, then they block you up (my veggie of choice each night), etc. Etc etc

I have tried to eat better as I know I won't be lucky enough to die of an exploded heart anytime soon and instead will eventually be a victim of my own girth. Much like when I drank booze and beer like a fish for 7 straight years in my 20s, I have yet to suffer consequences from carrying around a 300 lb frame from age 13-20, and again from 30 something onward after having run off 100 lbs at age 20 so I could breed with females.

I'm not sure where the eye of the tiger will come from this time around. I feel almost like if I just work out one day, I'll get the itch again and go all in. Side effect - I might live longer and 20 year retail employees only feel the desire to die.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg: I had one cup of coffee. That's why I've never had two cups of coffee.

I used to drink a ton of caffeinated soda, though: Surge, Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper were my vices of choice. I drank so much of it that I developed a tolerance: I could drink a can of Mountain Dew, and be asleep, within 30 minutes. I decided that I wanted the caffeine to work, so I weaned myself off to almost nothing. These days, I only have a can a day, only on work days, and never after 10am.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
You drink soda before 10am? Not sure why but I couldn't imagine drinking it that early in the day.

Dandy

Reaction score
I do not drink any caffeine normally, but will occasionally have a pop (soda to you hoity toity types). Water and alcohol (almost exclusively bourbon now) is all i out in my body.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I used to need 2-3 large black coffees a day to function, when I was 19-mid 20s. I now have a coffee in the morning before work and usually one cup on the weekends while I'm making breakfast for my son and partner.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually 3-4 cups a day. One in the morning when I wake up, 1-2 at Noon/early afternoon, then 1 after dinner around 7 PM or so. Some of that is partly due to my schedule the last couple years of working overnights (so needing something to keep me awake) or working shifts from 3 PM to 11 PM (again, needing something to keep me awake for the drive home).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'm not a morning person. And, like I said, I don't like coffee. Energy drinks cost too much money.
They sell 20 packs of energy water additives for like 3 bucks at Wal mart. Its what I use now when I am in need of a boost on the go when I am trying to stay up for day time adventures with my buddies.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had a very weird week that involved me being up all night and until 3pm Wednesday afternoon. Woke up at 5am Thursday morning to do school work because I have assignments due over the weekend and I'm working. Drank a diet Dr. Pepper around 7. That wore off by 10. Hit the Quick Stop type store by my apartment and loaded up on 2 Monster energy drinks that I drank over the course of 8 hours. At dinner I had a 32 ounce soda from a local seafood/hamburger joint. In between study breaks I kept fuckin around on Snapchat and posting stuff to other social media. This one got the most "likes."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maaaaannnnnn, my tolerance of caffeine has been really out of whack since I had to stop drinking coffee for a half a week because of my recent COLON IRRITATION mentioned in the weird health issues thread. Some days I feel like I need a pot of coffee to get through my day and then right now, I've drank one and a half cups and I feel like I'M READY TO EXPLODE!