Scott Holtzman vs Alan Patrick

Prelims (Fight Pass)

Lina Lansberg vs Yana Kunitskaya
Gray Maynard vs Nik Lentz
Ryan LaFlare vs Tony Martin

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Suga Sean O'Malley caught a USADA case over what he's saying is tainted supplements, pulled from the FS1 main event.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
There are actually a few bars around here showing this that haven't shown UFC in years. Might just hit one of them up

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I envy people who can tolerate the length of a UFC PPV in public not to mention dealing with drunken Conor fans.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seconded. Haven't been out to many in bars but it detracts from the experience significantly.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
It's been years since I tried so if I do (no guarantee, I work until 9:30 and might just decide to go home) it will be interesting

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder if you can bet on the odds of how many fights will take place in the crowd during the show. It's almost a certainty that somebody is gonna get hospitalized and I'd bet on it being Conor fans especially if they're trying to step to hardline Muslim fans of Khabib cause they'll be stone cold sober and the Irish fans are gonna be trashed.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/26/17870536/ufc-229-conor-mcgregor-and-the-cartel-shady-figures-kinahan-hutch-khabib-mma-crime-gangs-news

I'm sure that the United States government is all over this shit but I imagine the percentage of undercover agents in Vegas is being drastically increased for the fights this weekend. Conor is connected to some legit mobsters.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Card has been edited slightly, they couldn't find a replacement to fight Quinones but it sounds like O'Malley's USADA snafu is going to get cleared up because the UFC said that the fight will be rebooked at a later date so it's obviously something that they want to keep intact. Alan Patrick vs Scott Holtzman is on the prelims now.

Rogan and Schaub were discussing this on his podcast yesterday and Schaub brought up that he doesn't see this fight breaking any records in terms of PPV buys and I'm inclined to agree with him. The buzz amongst the hardcore fans is there but they don't move the needle, usually when Conor fights I get messages on social media from friends and family but I don't see any buzz amongst casual fans for this one. For what it's worth on that same podcast Schaub said that Josh Thomson told him that if Khabib beats Conor on Saturday he wants to retire.

Staff member
Reaction score
It's gonna do 900k-1m at best. Khabib did draw a lot of eyeballs for the Iaquinta fight, but this hasn't been promoted very well.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Khabib said he wants to fight 2-3 more years. His family also makes it sound like he really wants the T-Ferg fight.

I think this does 800k, but Dana said it's trending to hit 3 million lirl

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it does around 1 to 1.2 million. It definitely doesn't reach Conor/Nate II numbers, no fuckin way.

Also worth noting that the main card is fantastic but outside of Formiga/Pettis those are some prettttty weak prelims. Luque is way better then fighting a DWTNCS graduate, Ladd vs Evinger from a rankings perspective I guess makes sense but Ladd has dropped out of two of her three scheduled UFC fights. Lansberg is ranked #12 at BW but hasn't looked that great in any of her fights and the rest of the undercard is all unranked and they likely will never crack the Top 15.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Just because it's Conor in the main event I'm willing to say this at the very least breaks a million buys. I do find it crazy that it seemed like casuals moved on from him quickly. Like I know people will say this hasn't been promoted at all but just a year ago we were at point where whatever antics McGregor was coming up with and were being put online got more attention than actual pressers for some big cards the UFC were putting out as a whole.

The cokehead rage at a bus had this much of an effect?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There are several places around here that never have the PPVs that are getting this one.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
⚰ said:
Just because it's Conor in the main event I'm willing to say this at the very least breaks a million buys. I do find it crazy that it seemed like casuals moved on from him quickly. Like I know people will say this hasn't been promoted at all but just a year ago we were at point where whatever antics McGregor was coming up with and were being put online got more attention than actual pressers for some big cards the UFC were putting out as a whole.

The cokehead rage at a bus had this much of an effect?

Rogan made a good point on the podcast that the UFC might have very well wanted Conor to do the full press media tour and he told them to fuck off.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I've seen lots of promotion in terms of billboards and TV ads and stuff like that. I think they are pushing this hard. But going by social media/search stats, it doesn't seem like this is an old Conor PPV. It feels like it will hit 700-800k buys.

It could be that people already are interested and don't feel like talking about it. That's a possibility if the bus thing resonated that much with people. But I'm skeptical.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm torn on the fight itself. I think for Conor to come back after two years away from the cage to knock out the guy who everybody said would style on him would be amazing. The huge downside is of course whether or not he'd ever want to defend the belt again and the UFC has already had to create two interim belts because of him. I think a Khabib win assuming he plans on sticking around is better for the division and the continuity of things plus I don't give a fuck if they book it for the fourth time I WANT TO SEE TONY VS KHABIB GODDAMNIT.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This just feels like it will do crazy buys. Call me crazy but it will be closer to 2 million than 1 or less.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure how big a difference it being Thanksgiving weekend in Canada will have on this (if I recall Canada is still a huge PPV market for them), but I know in my case I'll probably either have to stream it or order it online while at my wife's family's Thanksgiving dinner.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, bars have to pay based on the maximum occupancy of their building. I think these count as "buys", too. I've seen double the amount of bars scheduled to show this PPV than a normal card.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Dowp54_XgAEql7y.jpg

wow these guys both look dehydrated as fuck

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/sports/mma/no-ufc-229-wont-do-3-milllion-buys/

that's the article I was talking about, good read.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Lord of The Curry said:
Conor once again with the hand punching/slapping at weigh-ins. SMH.

The weigh in pull aparts are far and away the most WWE part of the organization. It’s pretty predictable. Dana shouting “don’t touch him” was eye-rolling as fuck

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Yeah that got a groan out of me.

Khabib is p. popular worldwide and actually seems to have more interest than Conor right now, but I'm not sure how well those translate to PPV's. As far as I know, the bulk of the PPV buy business comes from North America. I think in Russia they get it as part of a cable package, so those don't count towards PPVs.

I guess I'll say it will do 1, 1.1 million buys then. Still not nearly as big a deal as they're making it out to be.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Khabib's chin does look a little suspect, but I feel p. confident skills-wise that he wins this. His striking defense is much better than people give him credit for, and Conor leaves lots of openings to be hit and taken down. It's Khabib's fight to lose.

The prelims on this card are surprisingly weak. As far as the main card goes, I hope Derrick Lewis earns a title shot and makes the sport cool again. That fight should be five rounds. So should the Pettis/Ferguson fight, but there's a good chance those fights have finishes within three. If T-Ferg wins, the promo he makes after the fight should be angry about the disrespect to his title.

Waterson's stock has fallen a lot, a year ago I wouldn't have thought she could possibly lose against Herrig. But it's a toss-up fight to me now. Reyes is the only real prospect at 205, Anthony Smith is not good. Reyes has a big test tonight but I think he passes. I think he knocks out OSP, probably in the second. If his takedown defence is as good as they say, the first.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Paper Industry said:
Khabib's chin does look a little suspect, but I feel p. confident skills-wise that he wins this. His striking defense is much better than people give him credit for, and Conor leaves lots of openings to be hit and taken down. It's Khabib's fight to lose.

The prelims on this card are surprisingly weak.

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT THE 2011 MEGA FIGHT OF GRAY MAYNARD VS NIK LENTZ