Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Uncharted Series

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Yeah, it's pretty crazy! I've probably played it the most out of all the online stuff, though. It's a great way to get cash and level up without having to worry about 24/7 guys who snipe you with their eyes closed, lol. Also, the Co-op Survival mode is crazy.. wave after wave of baddies.. I always fail that one. I'm not sure it ever ends at this rate!

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score

dubq said:
I finished Normal difficulty in about 3 days.. mind you I took one of those days off work. ;)

Cool, I'll probably rent it during a weekend that I'm off (girlfriend usually works early on weekends so she has to go to bed around 8 or 9 at night which gives me lots of uninterrupted gaming time)

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score

dubq said:
I finished Normal difficulty in about 3 days.. mind you I took one of those days off work. ;)

I just started Chapter 26 Tree of Life, got a question for anyone who has beaten the game,

Is there any particular thing you have to do to beat that russian guy or do you just basically run from him, spraying him with bullets and grenades when you get the chance, and try to avoid getting shot or thrown around? I have tried beating him a couple times and wasn't sure if there is something more I should be doing or not

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score

You want to use the pods to your advantage. Get him near one, blast it. He should go down to his knees then re-up his charge.

You need to "drop" him like, 6-8 times before you trigger the final cut scene between you and him.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

Ok I beat him and the game. Yeah I was doing the right thing all along I just wasn't sure if there was something more to it then that. I kind of feel the ending was a bit of a letdown only because of how awesome the game was up to that point, but I was also prepared for it because of other reviews I have read.

Overall a fantastic game with a great multiplayer tacked on that will provide plenty of reasons to keep this game in my collection for a long time rather then trading it in.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score

I just beat it, and I pretty much agree with you about the end of it, but still, it's a great game. One of my top favorites of the console easily.

I guess I was lucky with co-op mode or really good, because the first and only time I've tried it, we beat the level we played. It was a long mission, but we stayed strong and fucked everybody up.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yeah, I love those co-op missions.. especially when you get good team mates who don't leave the match because they "don't want to play as a girl." o_O

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score

Anybody play multiplayer over the weekend? You got doublecash anytime you played, which was pretty sweet. And the teams were divided into fat Drake and fat Lazarevic, which was pretty funny.

Right now I'm doing my second playthrough focusing on getting all of the treasures, and a lot of trophies.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Uncharted 3's multiplayer will be a stand alone free to play download starting today on PSN (whenever the store updates)!

Joystiq:

This week, Naughty Dog will try its hand at the free-to-play market by making the multiplayer component of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception available for all to download.

As a standalone PSN download, the free-to-play version of Uncharted 3's multiplayer introduces a host of microtransactions for players to compile the online version of Uncharted 3 they want to play, with the first 15 levels of competitive multiplayer available for free.

Naughty Dog lead game designer Robert Cogburn told Joystiq that the studio's plan to go free-to-play is an attempt to accomplish two goals: reinvigorate the pool of Uncharted 3 players and test the freemium waters.

Some of the transactions available, according to Cogburn, include raising the level cap to 25 or removing it completely. Cooperative content won't be included in the free-to-play version of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, rather the 'Co-op Arena' and 'Adventure' modes have been split into their own separate pieces of premium downloadable content in the new free version.

For game owner completionists, the 'Game of the Year' edition of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception will be available to purchase digitally, eschewing the franchise's adventure into the world of microtransactions all together.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Just going to leave this here for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2cL-pp6p8

Bah-Gawd!

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been playing through the first game on the PS4 for the last few days (I have it on the PS3, never got more than an hour or so into it), how much better is the 2nd one? Other than looking good, I don't get all the praise this one got when it first came out.

The first one is really fucking boring and repetitive and I wouldn't mind the gun fights so much if they weren't all the same shit over and over again. Do you at least get to do a little bit of exploration besides looking for shiny "treasures"?

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's a huge evolution. The second game lives up to its reputation as one of the best of all time. I played through all three for the first time in the past year, and the first is definitely dated. By 2, they had the controls ironed out, got rid of the annoying boat sequences, and brought the huge action movie moments to their peak.

The first one came out in 2007 and hasn't aged well. 2 still feels like it came out this year, and is as good as Tomb Raider 2013.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh shit, the jetski parts are the worst. I was excited that there was going to be something different to do and then I ran into my first exploding barrel and realized it was the slowest part of the game.

I really liked Tomb Raider and heard the Uncharted comparisons when that came out, but I never expected the first game to be so linear and really uninspired.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The 2nd one is one of the best games on any platform of any time period. It's that good.

The 3rd one is really good too, but not as good as the 2nd.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
The 2nd one I picked up at a midnight launch and played through it in one sitting, other than a brief break with about 2 hours left of gameplay to go.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Which one opens with climbing the train hanging off the cliff? That's the best one.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Anyone pick up #4 today? I have it pre-ordered but since i don't get paid until Thursday and the likelihood I simply wouldn't have the time to play it until Friday, I am waiting to snatch it up until pay day. My friend just got a 4k TV and said it looks absolutely stunning once the game really gets going.

I can't wait.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I rented it from redbox since I had a 1 day rental code. It looks absolutely fantastic, but it starts out pretty slowly like UC3

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask the obvious here: how important is it that I play the previous games for me to really understand this one?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You really should, they're all fantastic games (well...maybe not 1 so much anymore)

As far as the base story, so far there isn't anything that's directly dependent on you knowing the first three games, but it would really add to the weight of everything and help you connect to the characters.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Re: Uncharted (1) I don't even remember it releasing to that much fan fare. I didn't get it when it was released and bought it on a whim several months after. The series hype really seemed to coincide with Uncharted 2, and had many folks going back retroactively and buying the original.

I don't think you necessarily have to play the first 3, if you are mostly just looking for a kickass game, however since 4 is being billed as the end of the series, it might be a good idea to pick up The Uncharted Collection to see how the series got here....not to mention they are 3 pretty kickass games.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I played them all for the first time in the past 2 years. 1 is a little dated, and you wouldn't lose that much from skipping it, but 2 is phenomenal and 3 is really good. If you've never played 2 and 3, the remastered PS4 collection is a no-brainer.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Re: Uncharted (1) I don't even remember it releasing to that much fan fare. I didn't get it when it was released and bought it on a whim several months after. The series hype really seemed to coincide with Uncharted 2, and had many folks going back retroactively and buying the original.

That's pretty much how it was with me. Granted, I didn't even own a PS3 until after Uncharted 2 came out, but that game was one of the main reasons that I bought one (that and the PS3 finally coming down to a reasonable price.)

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I ended up beating UC4 last night. Without getting into spoilers, I'll say that all their talks about how their ending is so divisive and will cause controversy blah blah blah was incredibly overblown. Also while playing I was reminded of how cover based shooters are complete bullshit at times. Just once I'd like to see someone come up with a cover based shooter where you aren't constantly stuck in a "No! No! Why are you sticking to THAT side of the cover?! Fucking move! Get out of there! Get to the other side of the fucking cover! GREAT NOW YOU'VE ROLLED OUT INTO THE OPEN YOU STUPID FUCKING DEAD MORON!" loop

That said, despite the frustrations with that it was still really freaking great and a fun time.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
I am playing it in short spurts due to all the normal time constraints of of being a parent to two small children. Just passed the graveyard mission. Having a blast so far and other than some fire fights I can tell that things haven't even kicked into high gear yet.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got through the graveyard/completed Chapter 8 and am thoroughly enjoying this game, awesome stuff.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Didn't realize I hadn't checked in since beating the game. Was thoroughly satisfied with the ending. I like how they simultaneously made it Drake's final adventure but left the door open for........."other things"

I would still say Uncharted 2 is the best of the franchise, but 3 & 4 were very good too.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished it a few days ago. Great stuff.