Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Unsolved Mysteries

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Unsolved Mysteries 1990 Opening

The greatest mystery show in the history of television.

Growing up, this show gave me the creeps. I remember being fascinated with the unsolved murder/disappearance cases as those were usually the creepiest (and saddest).

My favorite cases

- Kurt Sova - Teenager found in a ravine with no apparent cause of death. He was last seen at a party. A "crazy from Detroit" foretold the finding of his body a day or so before it was actually found.

- Angela Hammond - Indiana woman went missing from a telephone booth while making a phone call to her boyfriend (had no telephone service in her home). She was actually on the phone when her kidnapper kidnapped her. Her boyfriend gave chase to the kidnapper but the damage from changing his transmission from drive to reverse to drive (in order to turn around to chase him) caused his transmission to fail. She's still missing to this day.

- Don Devereaux- A man is murdered nearby with an identical car. Turns out the hit was meant for him. The killers were never found.

I'm forgetting some but these are just from the top of my head.

DailyMotion has a ton of these cases up, I'll be gone all day tomorrow so I won't be able to link to them until Sunday.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was going to mention Angela Hammond, but I think she was in Missouri. There was a string of murders in the area and they think she might have been a victim of a serial killer. Wow, that case was so freaky.

I like the one about the Hollywood area girl that died in her apartment. Her neighbors heard weird screams for hours but didn't call 911. There was evidence she was murdered, and evidence she died of natural causes. Really weird case, wish I could remember the name of the victim.

The murders made to look like suicides are always interesting, too.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do they still show the new shows on Spike? I know they moved it around the schedule a lot, but I never see them on anymore.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
treble said:
Do they still show the new shows on Spike? I know they moved it around the schedule a lot, but I never see them on anymore.

Not that I know of.

The girl's name was Crystal Spencer. I'll see if its still on youtube.

Crystal Spencer Part 1

Sometimes I get the idea UM 'modifies' easy cases, but this one.. wow.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
I agree. Stack (along with the creepy opening theme) WAS that show. Now that he is gone, I can't watch the newer episodes - no matter how compelling they are.

He was just perfect for that role.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How about Dick Hansen, the guy who was killed by a random stalker and UM made he claim it might have been because he's a 49ers fan? Their dumbest theory yet, but it made me laugh. =P

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
treble said:

Not that I know of.

Crystal Spencer Part 1

Does anyone think that boyfriend may have had something to do with it? For as close as they seemed to be, it'd weird for him not to be concerned when she suddenly fell off the radar for a week. He'd have a motive too, given her recently being outed as a stripper and his shame over it (he was a respected Ph.D candidate).

There's plenty of sufficient evidence to show that the autopsy meant nothing and was likely wrong. They were way off on Crystal's height and weight. Who knows if it was even her body that was examined under her name?

It's just too bad she was cremated because a 2nd autopsy was definitely warranted in this case.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Obviously based on my thread that has crossed 3 boards now, I love me some Unsolved Mysteries.

I have 17 5 hour DVDs of the original show taped off NBC (Lifetime editted them - but not nearly as bad as Spike TV has) Way too many "favorite" cases to list.

Some cases ENRAGED me (Victorio Peak treasure - "Texas Most Wanted" Murder etc )

The UFO cases used to make me be too scared to even go downstairs alone after watching them.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:
treble said:

Not that I know of.

Crystal Spencer Part 1

Does anyone think that boyfriend may have had something to do with it? For as close as they seemed to be, it'd weird for him not to be concerned when she suddenly fell off the radar for a week. He'd have a motive too, given her recently being outed as a stripper and his shame over it (he was a respected Ph.D candidate).

There's plenty of sufficient evidence to show that the autopsy meant nothing and was likely wrong. They were way off on Crystal's height and weight. Who knows if it was even her body that was examined under her name?

It's just too bad she was cremated because a 2nd autopsy was definitely warranted in this case.

Yes, but I wonder why he would be so out in the open about it if he did kill her. And he said she was going to Japan or some shit... I do wonder how her body wasn't found for a week, though. Maybe they were not as close as the show indicated.

Trying to remember other freaky cases.. I watched a bunch last month.. oh how about the convenience store clerk that went missing and someone stopped to buy cigarettes at the store and a weird guy in a Megadeth t-shirt sold them to her?

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one. It remains unsolved.

I'm a big fan of your topic on this board here, it got me into watching unsolved murders and disappearances on youtube.

How about the cop's son that got murdered.. Cary Grant Jr. I think his name was. The friend knew something, confessed, but it wasn't him, then the cop kept getting messages about his son's death.. they think it was someone he arrested getting revenge, but I think maybe the cop knew more than he was letting on. Maybe.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Can anyone find the video of the Kevin Ives and Don Henry one. It's about the two teens whose bodies were found run-over by a train but were later ruled already dead. Some big conspiracy involving drug smuggling, local police and even local politicians is suspected.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Jerry Falwell made a lot of money blaming Bill Clinton for those deaths.

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:
treble said:

Not that I know of.

Crystal Spencer Part 1

Yes, but I wonder why he would be so out in the open about it if he did kill her. And he said she was going to Japan or some shit... I do wonder how her body wasn't found for a week, though. Maybe they were not as close as the show indicated.

Being a USC grad student, it could be assumed that he was reasonably intelligent and would probably know how to best keep suspicion off of himself. I'm still not 100% convinced he was innocent.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:
treble said:

Not that I know of.

Crystal Spencer Part 1

Being a USC grad student, it could be assumed that he was reasonably intelligent and would probably know how to best keep suspicion off of himself. I'm still not 100% convinced he was innocent.

But there was no suspicion on him, the case was closed. And he wants to reopen it.

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:
treble said:

Not that I know of.

Crystal Spencer Part 1

But there was no suspicion on him, the case was closed. And he wants to reopen it.

I had forgotten that little detail (I haven't seen the case in a couple of years and haven't had the time to rewatch it). I just found it EXTREMELY weird though that a boyfriend could go a week without talking to his girlfriend and not get the least bit concerned. Especially since the last time they talked, Crystal was complaining of being sick. You'd think he'd want to know how she was doing and would regularly check in.

There's no doubt in my mind that she was murdered. People usually don't die naked in the corner of their apartments of "natural causes."

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep, which made me suspicious too. He said she told him she was gonna be in Japan. I'm wondering if he was as close to her as the show let on.

Oh man, how about the guy that 'committed suicide' by lowering himself into an oven at work?

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Yep, which made me suspicious too. He said she told him she was gonna be in Japan. I'm wondering if he was as close to her as the show let on.

Oh man, how about the guy that 'committed suicide' by lowering himself into an oven at work?

That was at a nuclear plant or something right? I'm also 100% sure that that was murder. There's no way a person commits suicide by lowering themselves in a furnace that is hundreds (if not thousands) of degrees.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:

That was at a nuclear plant or something right? I'm also 100% sure that that was murder. There's no way a person commits suicide by lowering themselves in a furnace that is hundreds (if not thousands) of degrees.

Yep, he was a potential whistle blower and was probably 'silenced'.

I also liked the security guard that got 'held up at gunpoint' and millions of dollars of platinum disappeared, along with both him and the gunman. And he was acting unusual that night, and looked in the camera funny. Dale something.

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Big Green said:
Psycho Penguin said:

Yep, he was a potential whistle blower and was probably 'silenced'.

I also liked the security guard that got 'held up at gunpoint' and millions of dollars of platinum disappeared, along with both him and the gunman. And he was acting unusual that night, and looked in the camera funny. Dale something.

My favorite robbery story on UM was the one about the guys who dug elaborate tunnels underneath banks in (I think) Los Angeles and tunneled into the vaults. They were never caught. The tunnels were very impressive and whoever did it was obviously a good craftsman and highly intelligent.

Fartsauce

Fartsauce
Reaction score
[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQagqs9HVM[/flash]

UPDATE!

chuck415

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BruiserBrody said:
"Texas Most Wanted" Murder etc

Is that the one with Matthew McConaughey where the guy gets out of his car with no pants in front of kids, then when confronted shoots the ex-Marine to death in front of his mother? That one pissed me off too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
chuck415 said:
BruiserBrody said:

Is that the one with Matthew McConaughey where the guy gets out of his car with no pants in front of kids, then when confronted shoots the ex-Marine to death in front of his mother? That one pissed me off too.

Yeah. Larry Derkins or something was the poor guy. Got Shot him 4 -5 times with a smaller gun. Still won't give up the pedo's keys , so as his mother lays him on the cement - the other bastard goes and gets a shot gun and blows his head off in front of his sister and mother

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BruiserBrody said:
chuck415 said:
BruiserBrody said:

Yeah. Larry Derkins or something was the poor guy. Got Shot him 4 -5 times with a smaller gun. Still won't give up the pedo's keys , so as his mother lays him on the cement - the other bastard goes and gets a shot gun and blows his head off in front of his sister and mother

Larry Dickens was his name IIRC

It was on the UM Bizarre Murders DVD set that was released a few years ago.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BruiserBrody said:
chuck415 said:
BruiserBrody said:

Close I was :

Details: Edward Harold Bell was discovered outside the home of Larry Dickens getting out of his truck and walking up to a group of boys playing in the street without any pants on. Larry's mother called him to stall Bell until the police could get to the location, but Bell took a rifle from his truck and shot and killed Larry in cold blood. Bell lead the police in a chase and escaped the scene, but he remained at large for fourteen years.
Extra Notes: This segment ran December 2, 1992. Actor Matthew McConnaghey portrayed Larry Dickens in the recreation.
Results: Caught. Bell was arrested in Panama on Dec, 2, 1989.
Links: None