Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Vinny!: The Poll!

Pick one.

• upon being eviscerated to the press by Ben Gordon for bad coaching, replies "it's okay, I'm Italian,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I have no predeceived notions about this team. I'm not a magician. I mean, I've never even coached

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lou Holtz hired as a motivational speaker.

• "My style will be to put my arms around them and take them to lunch."

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Bans food from the locker room, until his players make him reinstate it.

• Has been calling Kirk Hinrich "Curt Hinrich" ALL YEAR LONG and nobody has corrected him.

• tries to make Quentin Richardson miss a jumper by walking like five feet in bounds and yelling in hi

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Holds a Super Bowl party at his house. Attendance is mandatory. Players make him make it optional, b

• upon being eviscerated to the press by Ben Gordon for bad coaching, replies "it's okay, I'm Italian,

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Day after an overtime loss at Miami and day before game at Orlando, cancels practice to take the tea

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Does not put Derrick Rose in the last minutes of games until John Paxson calls him out on it in publ

• Spends at least two days talking about the time Joakim Noah hit a jump shot.

• Total voters

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So we've made it through the first, and hopefully last, year of Vinny Del Negro. The blunders he has provided us with in his first year of coaching have been numerous and ridiculous. I'm not sure to what extent his bumbling ways have garnered national coverage, and I'm not sure I've hit them all on the board, so I'd like to make them all available, to the best of my recollection. Then you get to pick your favorite one! Which one incident or quotation best sums up the Vinny Del Negro experience?

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I went for the Food Man Ban. Bowling alley was close, but the fact that his team made him repeal the no-food credo shortly thereafter really sealed the win for me.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Predeceived notions" still gets a chuckle out of me, and his botched attempt at a Super Bowl party was funny/sad, but I think if anything sums up the year, it's that his idea of preparing for Dwight Howard is to not even have practice at all and instead spend a day bowling. The various mental pictures are all too much: Joakim Noah at the counter renting bowling shoes, Luol Deng trying to enter his name into the computer but doing it wrong and typing LUON, Vinny taking a head count to make sure he buys enough pizzas for everybody, and Ben Gordon sitting around having absolutely no idea what the fuck is going on.

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

I voted for the Lou Holtz one because I have no idea who this is or what any of this means. Kinda like when Lou Holtz talks.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
6 different categories chosen in just 11 votes means I want Vinny around for a long time. Sorry, Czech.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vinny strikes me as the kind of coach that lingers around for a year or two too long, and once fired, the Bulls start really doing well, and the fans would credit Vinny with the development of those players.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
My Cousin Vinny is one of the best coaches of all time. The joy and pleasure I gain with each new story I hear about him and the Bulls, or each game I watch him coach his heart out... this has been one of my treasured joys of this year.

I voted for when he wouldn't shut the fuck up about Noah making that jumper... it was high quality comedy.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Like I said in the NBA playoff thread.

Taking your players to dinner and movies = Success! Fuck X's and O's...

Rick Adelman needs to take a page out of Vinny Del Negro's book if he ever wants to win a championship!

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
John Paxson just got the old upward firing, like when Bob Pulford was "promoted" from running the Blackhawks to doing whatever the hell he does now. This is great, because it means there's now just like a 2% chance we wind up with Tyler Hansbrough, which was probably around 50% with Pax. Rumor has it Gar Forman was the guy who put together the Salmons trade, anyway. I'm also optimistic that Gar will make the Point B--->Point C move as soon as possible.

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score
I like him yelling at Quentin Richardson. It's not as funny, sure, but is just sad: a scrub move for anyone to do, let alone a coach, showing how much of a clown he is. It's all out there on film, too, so we can all see it rather than just hearing about it.

I'm torn between wanting him to coach the Bulls for years to come and being fired immediately. I want more material from him, but not at the expense of retarding the development of Rose or turning the Bulls into mere first round outs every year.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chicago Bulls announce Vinny Del Negro as New Coach-Part 5
"Predeceived notions" is around the one-minute mark, with "I'm not a magician" and "I've never coached before" a little later.

Here's some primary source on the Super Bowl party, just so you know I didn't make it up.
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/feb/02/sports/chi-02-bulls-johnson-chicagofeb02
Del Negro occasionally has befuddled players with missteps, including a plan to make attendance at a Super Bowl party at his house mandatory.

But just as the Bulls appear to be playing harder and more together, Del Negro is correcting mistakes along the way. He changed the party attendance to voluntary.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I wonder when Vinny will get into his first "fight" with one of his players? It's the only thing that would complete his legacy as pure LOLcoach. Or maybe not... he seems like the type of guy who players would go, "Well... he's a nice guy." while tuning him out or thinking about where they're going to sign next when their contract is up.

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score
I don't doubt any of it. It's all just so ludicrous and needs to be seen. Unfortunately a press conference or Vinny thinking he's back to pick-up games on the playground and that it'll actually work is the closest any of us will get. He's like a real-life Michael Scott. Even looks a little like him.