Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Warner Bros. to send entire 2021 movie slate to HBO Max on DAY OF theatrical release

Staff member
Reaction score

Staff member
Reaction score
I made a mistake. They are sending them to HBO Max on the same day they're released in theaters, then they take them down after 31 days. That last part doesn't make any sense to me.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think I've looked forward to a new movie my whole life like I am to The Many Saints of Newark. I haven't had cable in years so I hope I'll still get to see it next March.

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't wait to watch Mortal Kombat from my couch let's fuckin go

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I wonder if the weird thing with 31 days has to do with either contracts for OnDemand or their perception for sales of home video/digital sales.

Either way, I was super excited for the Wonder Woman announcement and more excited for this. When the world becomes more normal again, I’d still go to the theatres for some stuff regardless of being on here but this will have me engaged with their stuff I was unsure about much sooner.

Staff member
Reaction score
It won't be sustainable to make feature films and always send them to streaming, at least with the same budgets they have for these movies. That being said some of the CGI in these movies is totally ridiculous and unnecessary. I get why they're doing it now, but I can't see this being the future of cinema.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With the decline of cinema I'm going to miss the stories of parents bringing their kids to R rated movies and then being surprised at the content ("Sausage Party", "Dead Pool", "Ted") .

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head over this move. To me, this is premature at best, other than perhaps announcing this for films to be released in that first quarter of 2021. But to go this far out ahead of uncertainty seems a bit strange and self-inflictive in a sense.

Wouldn't it make sense to release it 31 days AFTER its released in theaters and VOD/PPV concurrently (typically I see "premiere" releases with a $20 pricetag)? Even if a theater is wide open and the covid numbers on said state are low enough to warrant a full opening, I'd venture to bet most still won't do it if they have that option if HBOMAX is just willing to give it to everyone with no strings attached. This point is really sticking it to the theaters who are just hanging by a thread to continue operating in the future. This is a huge blow to the theater industry any way you slice it.

I'm shocked that they aren't at least also offering a secondary tiered plan or in the least, a small additional fee to watch those on HBOMAX but I guess I shouldn't complain too much, but I just really miss and want to get back to the theater experience. On a side note, films like WW84 and Godzilla vs Kong likely will have the 3D aspect of those films trashed now if theaters will barely release these in the first place.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
EqualAngryGalago-small.gif

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the Tom & Jerry movie for what it was. The final act seemed to really go on forever though despite the overall run time.