Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kamala, you are hopped up on beer. The NXT In Your House PPV is next week

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • We have run out of things to talk about

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised ROH didn't use them as surprise entrants in the ROH/NJPW Rumble but I guess they were working Joey Janela's Spring Break that night. Which actually is probably what helped them get those ROH shots in 2019.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They have to. They just do. Anything Liger can do the RNR can do.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
RnR Express smoked pot for Juggalo Championshit Wrestling, which clearly is a bigger bucket list item then MSG.

Real talk though, I wonder if the RnR Express even cared about MSG given their southern roots. They hit the Omni and Mid-Atlantic's big towns, starred in the Superdome and the Mid-South Coliseum, were headline acts for Starrcade and stadium shows, etc etc. New York may never have been high on their list(?)

Corny just talked this week about how JCP likely made around 1 million dollars selling RnR Express fan club packages in 86/87, of which the Express were each paid $21,000 for their share. (20 dollars a piece times 50,000 sold)

It's interesting to look at how the Express drew from 1984-1987 and then just meant very little to the bottom line. I'm not sure if the early 1988 Sheepherders/Express feud would have even been the B-tour co-main event Maybe Morton bleeding buckets and having his head shaved would have spiked interest had Dusty's vision played out?

In 88 they were in and out of JCP and then Morton jumped back in again briefly. They got ESPN TV exposure on the AWA show, but even that ended with Morton no showing so IIRC Groovy Greg teamed with Gibson. They were back in the AWA by years end for SuperClash 3, but clearly drew nothing in Chicago or PPV with their presence.

The most interesting stuff for 88 was their Memphis feud with the Midnight Rockers.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's like they went everywhere but MSG.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bischoff says on this week's pod that 1996 Shawn Michaels was a "basket case" and he wouldn't have wanted him in WCW. I'm not sure if Hall's issues were even thought of when Eric made this comment, then again Hall was a mess away from the arena, while Shawn was a pain backstage and in the real world.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
LOL at the idea that Bischoff wouldn't have signed HBK in '96 if given the chance. Even if he had his issues, you're telling me they wouldn't have made a play for the top guy in the company just to further fuck with your competitor?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He signed Savage in late '94. And he brought in Warrior in '98. I don't think he'd have even needed three minutes to get a check to Michaels in 1996 if he could've signed him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bischoff is a fool and clown for thinking he can work us into believe that statement. He signed Scott Hall to a big contract and he's twice the headache and half the talent.

Hell, he even briefly signed MARTY JANNETTY! Are you telling me someone would pass on HBK but take his famously less successful counterpart that WWF fired nine times!?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jim The Anvil Neidhart. Plus bringing back SID, who only stabbed Arn Anderson (another one of your tentpole stars) a month before you planned on making SID a World Champion. List goes on and on really.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Same episode had him saying Sting was penciled in to be the third man in the NWO. How would that have worked with Sting's contract? One would think they would have to rework the deal... or is Nash getting the World title in this scenario? Either way the whole Fall would be the NWO taking leg drops and the whole thing would likely be dead by Superbrawl.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, Sting being the backup choice for third man is well documented (and I'm 99.9% sure was confirmed by the Stinger himself). I think an alternate universe where the nWo is basically a more interesting Dungeon of Doom is fascinating. I still think WCW wins the Monday Night Wars for a period of time but is not quite as dominant.

Also I feel like an alternate universe where Hogan never turns heel and is basically his generation's John Cena (cue cursing from @BruiserBrody ) probably makes his scandals in the '00s and 2010s even worse.