Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kamala, you are hopped up on beer. The NXT In Your House PPV is next week

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • We have run out of things to talk about

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was a wise career move to make the jump over to co-hosting Bingo Break with Gorilla Monsoon Bob Marella for Sean though undoubtedly.
I vaguely heard a reference to Bingo Break once years ago but completely forgot about it. Just looked up an episode now, and this is like watching something from a parallel universe. Also, I think this is the first time I have ever seen Gorilla in non-tinted glasses.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at history of wwe site and the one taping Luger appeared on post Summerslam 95 (day after the show) set up a Luger v Mabel match for the Sept. IYH PPV. I assume Mabel would have went over to get his heat back after losing to Diesel and he was about to feud with Undertaker.

I've always heard Luger was going to work HHH at the Sept. ppv as well but don't think that was the plan. Maybe they would have done the match at the Oct. IYH?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sean in pastels, trying to be hip, going full Poochie would've been awesome. Dressed like a Sunny D commercial in what New Generation Vince's idea of what was cool. Banter with Wiand. Cool dad.
I feel like the only time Mooney showed up on RAW besides maybe some reunion/nostalgia shows in 2010s was the 1st episode. Besides the first episode, I skip over almost all of the Rob Bartlett episodes whenever I rewatch '93 WWF (which is more often you'd think/is necessary) so I could easily be wrong.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's a great straight man to all the wacky late 80's and early 90's WWF announcers. I became a Mooney fan as a kid with his cheesy Coliseum Home Video stuff. I listened to his podcast as well and it was pretty fun. He seems like a nice guy and he has a pretty fantastic memory of his time in WWF.

I much preferred his style to the screaming, singing, and impressionist announcer that replaced him. The Moon Man had a professionalism about him that I missed even as a kid.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He got a lot of undeserved derision from the early IWC (self included) but I’ve grown to appreciate him as a very solid hypeman (he did the Events Center segment as well as anybody) and C Show announcer. He is still moderately annoying as a backstage interviewer though, I’m sorry.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
During his podcast, he made sure to credit Al Hayes for how much he helped him with broadcasting.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
There was a six-man tag the week after Mania X8 with Rock/Hogan/Kane vs Nash/Hall/X-Pac. That might have been where Nash got hurt, actually. Then Kane was out by the time Nash came back from that injury, and Nash had torn his quad by the time Kane returned.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m sure @King Kamala needs to know about the recent Jey Uso interview where he talked about when Papa Rikishi and Uncle Yokozuna would come home from loops, they’d get the kids who were sleeping out of bed in the middle of the night and make them dance to Bel Biv Devoe while grilling.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I rewatched the 1995 Rumble this past week, and I actually liked it a lot more than I had in previous viewings. I still wouldn't put it on my list of favorite Rumbles or probably even in the top half, but the shorter intervals and faster pace of the match wasn't the worst idea, and seems to at least keep the crowd invested. It's just hurt by lazy writing and a weak roster. In hindsight, Shawn was so obviously going to win that match

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it is unfairly lumped in with the worst Rumbles. ‘98 and ‘06 (which ripped off ‘95´s story) are worse but aren’t mentioned alongside ‘99 as the worst as often.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
'98 is up there with most forgettable. There's Foley, but that's kind of it. I think 2006 would be thought of higher if it closed the show, even with the Eddiesploitation. Not great but more like 2002-level.

1995, just as a show, is really fun and I like it more every time. The Rumble just doesn't feel special despite being totally fine. You book that match with normal intervals and it's a fucking trainwreck, so the right call was made in general. Owen and Backlund were just needed more than ever to make it have an air of prestige, for lack of a better word (by 1995 standards), but it's fun. Well Dunn got to ogle Pam Anderson for fuck's sake.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I disagree about the ‘95 edition being bland. Michaels surviving the whole time was cool, and the way he won was really memorable at the time. Steamboat had skinned the cat already but nobody had done it so dramatically, hanging with one arm and touching the floor with one foot at points. The fact that there were such high stakes on the line made it that much better, and I remember them replaying the hell out of that finish on the road to Mania, and with good reason.

also the Bret/Owen stuff was sick too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I have no recollection of this. I hope Polo sold the hell out of it in the next few weeks though.

I really hated him and those shitbag Quebecers. First they screw the Steiners out of the titles with a hokey gimmick match, then screw them several other times in rematches and stuff like Scott Steiner having a one on one match with one of the Quebecers where he had to win in under 10 mins to get the team another title match, and Polo helped screw them out of that too.

Polo beat either the Kid or Marty in a 1 on 1 match on RAW too IIRC. That lead to more matches, including one where Marty used the mic rope to hog tie Polo -- again IIRC.....

Marty and the Kid beating them for the belts (Raw 1 year anniversary maybe?) was a HUGE mark out moment for me and my neighbor watching with me. Then those Quebec scumbags won the belts back at MSG a week later. :(

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Marty and 123 Kid winning the tag titles was a giant mark out moment for me as a kid. Savage running in right after their victory and raising their hands added to the moment. I was pissed when watching one of the weekend shows and seeing that the Quebecers had won them back.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had a tape as a kid that I imagine my mom or dad recorded with around 5 episodes of Superstars from the Summer of 1993 and The Quebecers squash on that tape was incredible. They absolutely destroyed the jobbers and PCO did like 5 or 6 moves I never seen before. I would rewind that squash a lot. The Quebecers ruled and I wish their run lasted longer. They will only around as a team for like 10 months all things considered.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it was on Peter Winson's GFA Live this week where they talked about Macho Man watching from the sidelines in 1994 as Bob Backlund got a heel run, with his age being part of the pushed package....meanwhile Savage was benched in part due to his age. Maybe that helped send Savage fleeing to WCW? Hearing them talk about it made me wish Savage had gotten the Backlund heel run instead. He and Hart would have had some bangers, and Diesel may have done better with his first round of drawing if it was Savage against him and not nutty ol' Bobby Backlund.
Savage could work with HBK too after Mania 11, and the summer could have been Diesel/Shawn vs. Savage and SID~!

I did love me some Psycho Bob in 1994 though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never got why The Quebecers broke up so soon. Did Jacques retire briefly in '94? When they came back a few years later in WCW and for their second WWF run in Attitude era, all of a sudden they sucked. It's like Jacques realized "Crap. I got out right before the boom period. I should go back in there and make some money) and put on most perfunctory performances ever. And PCO seemed rattled for a few years after The Clique kneecapped his Jean Pierre Laffitte push and didn't seem like he regained his confidence at all until his short TNA run.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never got why The Quebecers broke up so soon. Did Jacques retire briefly in '94? When they came back a few years later in WCW and for their second WWF run in Attitude era, all of a sudden they sucked. It's like Jacques realized "Crap. I got out right before the boom period. I should go back in there and make some money) and put on most perfunctory performances ever. And PCO seemed rattled for a few years after The Clique kneecapped his Jean Pierre Laffitte push and didn't seem like he regained his confidence at all until his short TNA run.
Matches u never knew existed crossover post:

Jacques' Wiki: Rougeau teamed up with his brother, Ray (who at the time was a commentator, announcer and host for the French-produced WWF programming) alongside Ouellet in a dark match for WWF Shotgun Saturday Night in 1997. They defeated the team of Edge, Shawn Stasiak, and Tom Brandi.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
After a few minutes of Jacques being attacked in front of his hometown crowd, Raymond Rougeau (who by this point was an announcer for the WWF's French-language broadcasts) ran to the ring to save his brother. This angle led to Jacques Rougeau's first retirement match, which, over the next few months, was heavily promoted on WWF TV shows broadcast in the Montreal area and in the local media. The match, held on October 21, 1994,[37] drew a sell-out crowd of 16,843 to the Montreal Forum, and resulted in a victory for Jacques, when he pinned Pierre following a seated tombstone piledriver. Jacques, who was accompanied by Raymond, used Queen's song "We Are the Champions" as his theme music for the night.

Sounds like he retired in '94, came back to WCW in '96, then retired a 2nd time after their late 90s WWF run.