Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kamala, you are hopped up on beer. The NXT In Your House PPV is next week

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • We have run out of things to talk about

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He would've been where Jarrett was.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I think the big difference would be Austin. Austin has talked how much he loved working Shane in WCW when Austin was with Pillman and Douglas with Steamboat. Whereas Austin hated good ole Double J.

If you look at the roster at the time, after Austin won the world title in 98 there weren't a ton of guys lined up for him. He basically worked Foley, Kane and Taker until Rocky was ready. I think you would've had a Franchise/Austin feud at some point that year.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I don't see Shane gaining any footing in the main event scene with HHH slowly gaining prominence in '99. He didn't have the megastar aura that Rock had. I can see him possibly getting a short run at the top following WM14 but that's it. He probably would've gone back to ECW by the end of '99. I don't know where that leaves him with WCW, though.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna agree with @The Valeyard and say Shane would've been Jeff Jarrett level if he had somehow stayed nice with The Clique and stayed with WWF in the Attitude Era. Maybe a few Intercontinental Title and European Title runs but that's it.

Being a big fish in a small pond was best thing that ever happened to Shane Douglas so people could believe that he was held down by guys that were actually way better than him.

Did I mention I hate Shane Douglas?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I'm gonna agree with @The Valeyard and say Shane would've been Jeff Jarrett level if he had somehow stayed nice with The Clique and stayed with WWF in the Attitude Era. Maybe a few Intercontinental Title and European Title runs but that's it.

Being a big fish in a small pond was best thing that ever happened to Shane Douglas so people could believe that he was held down by guys that were actually way better than him.

Did I mention I hate Shane Douglas?
I don't think he would've been a main eventer all the time like Austin, Taker or Rock. But, they even planned to put Jarrett in the main event against Austin in a program, but Austin turned it down. Jarrett not getting his planned program with Austin is why he jumped to WCW.

I think if Shane had stayed he would've gotten a program with Austin (one of the reasons Austin picked Foley as his first opponent after Mania is because he was comfortable working with him). Not saying he would've stayed at the top of the card, but I think he would've had a few month run at some point in 98.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I gotta think that's a bit overstating Austin's feelings about Douglas. I'm sure he'd get a TV feud to make Austin look strong going into a ppv (and by association made Douglas look better by even being six feet from Austin). I think he would, however, probably get the heel push Owen got in 1998. Douglas vs Shamrock would've been the epitome of a midcard Attitude Era feud.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The bittersweetness of that picture and her being MAGA is more than my heart's dick can bear.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As long as she isn't tweeting MAGA stuff constantly or appearing regularly on Fox News or OANN, my dick can be bipartisan.

I'M SORRY I HOPE I DON'T LOSE MY WOKE CARD FOR THIS!

Valeyard

Reaction score
She looks great, though, in all seriousness. Test run for onlyfans great.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Isn't Sunny in jail or something?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good! Better keep her in jail if she wants to insist on driving around than have her drunk drive over a kid like Heavy Metal Van Hammer.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Agreed. One of the ones I always want to get her shit together, but she never will.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She seemed so close for a minute in the late '00s but it fell apart. I'm gonna blame her banging Dolph Ziggler.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
s-l400.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I literally didn't realize until just now that that was Alundra. I owned that magazine for years and always just assumed it was a leftover pic with Pam Anderson from her one photo shoot with the WWF Superstars.

Wonder if NASH tapped Alundra.

I wish I hadn't thought of that cause now I have to think of Big Daddy Cool and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine being eskimo brothers.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score

That sounded like a legit shocked reaction from Lawler (not his usual "what???" he does). When we talk about guys like Steamboat and TIto who were always babyfaces and were great at it, Davey was kind of in that same boat for me prior to this happening; I could never have seen him as a heel. But then it happened and I thought he was actually a really entertaining heel, especially when paired with Owen.

It's also strange that they basically gave away the result of SummerSlam here by lining up Diesel's next feud. Lex was smart to leave when he did, because I'm not sure where he goes from here if they insisted on keeping him babyface. Which to turn Davey, while admittedly a fresh idea, shows that they obviously did.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was during the super brief Bill Watts era in WWF and it is really a textbook version of his style of angle.

And you're right, @Alfdogg , Luger was right to leave when he did because I don't see any scenario where him staying in WWE doesn't involve him putting a number of people over and getting gradually pushed down the card. For someone who is known as kind of a doof (except to @The Art of Postin' ), he read the room perfectly.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Shawn and Diesel vs heel Allied Powers would absolutely have been the endgame. Maybe Shawn eats a steel forearm instead of Owen's ensugiri.