Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WCW Thunder

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The original B-show is finally coming to the Network.

WWENetworkNews is reporting that episodes are finally being loaded in two weeks - Monday, March 19th. No word on if it will be the full run or partial. The show was rumored before last fall but delays supposedly happened when Buff Bagwell and Raven were suing over royalties. Now that the lawsuit has been settled with prejudice, seems like we got some on the way.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Final Thunder - 3/21/2001 - don't know if I saw it but Baby AJ Styles in Air Raid vs. Jung Dragons has me interested

AJstyles_jungdragons_012716.png

Lots more Horace Hogan on the way

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day. Early reports indicate that it won't be the full run. Sounds like it will be the January 1998 launch through September 1999 that will be available to start. 72 episodes - 108 hours of THUNDER.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I never watched Thunder on purpose. That window has the show with Nash on commentary, I hope. That I'd watch.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
See I have fond memories Thunder because I just loved everything wrestling at that period. I collected tapes and just loved that I could watch wrestling every night of the week. Looking back, there may not be many Thunder to actively go out of my way to watch. Then again, it is a short enough run in a period I was interested in where I could maybe sit through every episode start to finish, which I couldn't see myself do with something like Nitro, which may be the next shortest.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread not being called REVIEW WCW THUNDER is a crime against humanity.

If I still had the network though I'd totally be all over this.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was doing this as a general discussion thread for Thunder. Smues. But if you really want to dare me to watch every Thunder ever, first, I don't know what I did to you, but second, I don't know why I am getting more and more tempted...

Valeyard

Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
See I have fond memories Thunder because I just loved everything wrestling at that period. I collected tapes and just loved that I could watch wrestling every night of the week. Looking back, there may not be many Thunder to actively go out of my way to watch. Then again, it is a short enough run in a period I was interested in where I could maybe sit through every episode start to finish, which I couldn't see myself do with something like Nitro, which may be the next shortest.

I was just never a WCW guy, but I'd catch the weekend shows once in a while to see what was up. When Thunder came on, those shows either became irrelevant or just disappeared. When I'd catch Thunder, I'd see the WWF guys I loved (mostly Bret) being so obviously misused or broken down Savage and it just didn't work for me.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish Thunder started in 96 or early 97. Another 2 hours of WCW during its heyday would've been a good thing.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
Baby Shoes said:

I was just never a WCW guy, but I'd catch the weekend shows once in a while to see what was up. When Thunder came on, those shows either became irrelevant or just disappeared. When I'd catch Thunder, I'd see the WWF guys I loved (mostly Bret) being so obviously misused or broken down Savage and it just didn't work for me.

That makes sense. That's partially why I never was as into WCW but by end of 98, early 99, I was consuming as much as possible. I'd catch stuff that didn't run head to head but if it was head to head, WWF always won. I did luck out being on the West Coast on a non-DirecTV feed at the time because basically when WWF/WCW started going head to head, TNT would air the live East coast feed but WWF was all on channels that I had to wait for the normal West Coast airing. So I'd watch almost all of WCW, then get WWF starting up.

snuffbox said:
I wish Thunder started in 96 or early 97. Another 2 hours of WCW during its heyday would've been a good thing.

Also true. WCW was still solid but headed down when the show started. Though the original concept of making Nitro/Thunder separate shows for WCW and nWo, it may have been brutal in other ways, despite being at peak programming times.

Staff member
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
I was doing this as a general discussion thread for Thunder. Smues. But if you really want to dare me to watch every Thunder ever, first, I don't know what I did to you, but second, I don't know why I am getting more and more tempted...

I have every intention of watching every Thunder, but it will be a little while.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
The Valeyard said:
Baby Shoes said:

That makes sense. That's partially why I never was as into WCW but by end of 98, early 99, I was consuming as much as possible. I'd catch stuff that didn't run head to head but if it was head to head, WWF always won. I did luck out being on the West Coast on a non-DirecTV feed at the time because basically when WWF/WCW started going head to head, TNT would air the live East coast feed but WWF was all on channels that I had to wait for the normal West Coast airing. So I'd watch almost all of WCW, then get WWF starting up.

I had that kind of setup until mid-'99. I don't remember when it changed, but I'd catch Nitro an hour before Raw, so I'd get meaningless cruiserweight matches or non-main event nWo stuff, then it was all about the taped Savio Vegas and Smoking Gunns.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Network just uploaded February through June 2000 episodes.

That one includes where Brian Knobbs fell off the side of a building and died.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Turned on the 1/6/2000 episode of Thunder. At one point during the opening, there's a 5 person commentary team (Tony Schiavone, Scott Hudson, and Mike Tenay plus Oklahoma and Shane Douglas). Shane Douglas never actually said anything and just threw down his headset before saying anything. LOL.

And the opener is Madusa Vs Asya for the WCW Cruiserweight Title ::) ::) ::)

Perry Saturn attacked hiw own stablemate Asya to give Madusa the win for no real reason. I forgot the period where Saturn dressed up like Jim Brown.

Also the crowd is chanting USA at The Revolution and Shane Douglas is getting upset.

Oklahoma shattered a bottle of BBQ sauce on Madusa's head but it wasn't captured on camera cause they were too busy capturing the Filthy Animals doing a run in.

Also there's two guys in the front row dressed up like ICP.

I HATE YOU, VINCE RUSSO!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On the previous Nitro, David Flair and Crowbar won the WCW Tag Team Titles thanks to the help of Arn Anderson then they attacked Arn and Arn got kidnapped by nWo 2000.

Tony Schiavone looks absolutely miserable. This is a weird af commentary booth. Three PBP guys.

We're gonna get a shoot fight between The Wall and Jerry Flynn later tonight. I hate wrestling.

Oh here's Juventud Guerrera in an armsling and Psychosis. Oh a Juventud Guerrera promo. Juvy wants to kick Tony Jabroni out of the commentary table. Tony half heartedly pretends he doesn't want to leave. Psychosis weakly shoves Tony Schiavone against the guard rail and Tony Schiavone shuffles off.

New WCW Commissioner Terry Funk shuffles out and whoops Juvy & Psychosis' ass and powerbombs Psychosis while Juvy's underneath it. LOL

This is way better than RAW on Monday tbh.

Terry Funk calls out nWo 2000

Jeff Jarrett's Kid Rock "Cowboy" knockoff theme comes on.

Terry Funk: YOU SONS OF BITCHES! YOU SONS OF BITCHES!

No one in wrestling swears better than Terry Funk.

Jeff Jarrett revives his Attitude era "Don't Tick PISS ME OFF[/s] catchphrase and storms out. Terry Funk wants Arn back dammit.

Mean Gene is with The Revolution who cut a promo on Janitor Jim Duggan.

Juvy shows up and takes Mean Gene's mic. Mean Gene doesn't really care and just wanders off. Hahaha. It really was a Battle of Who Could Care Less amongst WCW's on screen personalities in '00.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Backstage, nWo 2000 tortures Arn Anderson. I want Scott Steiner's airbrushed "Hollar If Ya Hear Me" shirt. C'mon EBay.

We get a poorly done video package on the breakup of Harlem Heat. This seems like the 2nd breakup of Harlem Heat but I think it was actually the first. Stevie Ray turned heel and joined the nWo in '98 but I don't think they turned against each other until this angle.

Booker T does an interview with Mean Gene and Stevie Ray storms down. He's tired of Midnight ruining Harlem Heat. He wants a match against Midnight so he can beat her into a conniption. Hot Take but Stevie Ray was probably a better promo than Booker T at this point in their careers.

Sign: DRUNK TERRY FLUNK

Booker T is fine with Stevie Ray Vs Midnight as long as they can all be united after.

Backstage, new WCW World Tag Team Champs David Flair & Crowbar arrive with the Goth Goddess Daffney

nWo 2000 are pouring HOT COFFEE ON ARN ANDERSON.

Daffney watches on a monitor and laughs while David Flair looks pained.

OH SHIT! IT'S PG-13!

AMWAY SALESMAN CHAVO GUERRERO JR! They're teaming up against Three Count. Way better than 2019 WWE.

Three Count look like way more like Seth Green in Can't Hardly Wait than boy band members at this point.

They win a nothing match. "Can't Get You Out Of My Heart" is dubbed over. I HATE WRESTLING!

Terry Funk beats up some security guards.

OOOOH! we get some clips of Tank Abbott fighting Jerry Flynn in THE BLOCK.

Now it's the shoot fight between Jerry Flynn and The Wall. Tank Abbott is on commentary. He calls out Jerry Flynn for wearing pajamas in the ring. He's a pit fighter! He doesn't believe in disciplined martial arts. Probably would've had a better record in MMA if he believed in disciplined martial arts.

He calls The Wall "The Beach Ball"

I can't believe Tank Abbott was the hottest free agent in wrestling for a spell. He's like the opposite of Can't Miss Prospect. I guess he looks tough but that's about it. His mic work was unintentionally hilarious, he didn't seem to have any interest in actually learning pro wrestling. Just seemed like definition of "Pin me, pay me."

His leather original UFC Logo/POW MIA leather jacket is cool as hell tho.

Tank knocks out Jerry Flynn to give The Beach Ball Wall the win. After the match, Tank beats up Flynn, The Wall, and Doug Dillinger.

Backstage, Terry Funk and David Flair go nose to nose.

Ah. I got rehearsal so I can stop watching this garbage.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I was all about Thunder simply because it meant more of a showcase for the Raven/DDP/Benoit feud which was going on and more cruiserweight action, which I was always game for.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Picking this up.

Jeff Jarrett is defending the US Title in a Bunkhouse Brawl match with Screamin' Norman Smiley.

Well, OK

Norman Smiley is in complete South Carolina Gamecocks football uniform, complete with pads. Jeff Jarrett is wearing an nWo 2000 tanktop and black jeans.

This is the last episode of Thunder on Thursdays. On Smackdown!, Triple H would defend the title against Rikishi. PROBABLY a better episode than this.

I have no idea why the #2 heel in the company is having a semi-competitive No DQ match with a comedy wrestler. But the main event of Smackdown was the #1 heel having a great match with a comedy wrestler and we all loved it! Wrestling is weird.

Jeff Jarrett wins after the El Kabong and Stroke.

Terry Funk saunters down, cursing out Jeff Jarrett.

David Flair sneaks up and attacks Double J. What a swerve. Terry Funk handcuffs Jeff Jarrett as David Flair chokes him with the crowbar. Terry Funk says the nWo 2000 has two minutes to get out and they'll trade Flair for Double J.

We're back from commercial break and Funk is comically bonking a garbage can lid against Jarrett as Flair chokes him with a crowbar.

Kevin Nash, Bret Hart, and Big Poppa Pump come out with Double A. They'll make the trade if Terry Funk agrees to a match with Kevin Nash at Souled Out. If Funk wins, the nWo 2000 will become dismantled. If Nash wins, he becomes Commissioner. Tony Schiavone pops in and says this all sounds very heavy. I thought he just wandered off when Juvy and Psychosis showed up.

Terry Funk agrees to the match but he wants a match tonight. He thinks SID is the man to win the WCW World Title but he wants a non title hardcore match with Bret Hart. DOES BRET HART HAVE THE KAHUNAS?

Bret Hart: You wanna challenge me for the belt?
Ooh boy. Bret's concussion is showing a bit.

Bret Hart: I might just kill you Terry Funk!

nWo swaps Arn for Double J but Bret hits Arn Anderson with the bat on the way down. ARN IS SUPPOSED TO REF THE WORLD TITLE MATCH AT SOULED OUT! Well, remember what the other guy in the match did to Arn.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Mamalukes make Disco Inferno shake down a convenience store owner. Disco doesn't want to beat up the convenience store owner so he trades his watch for the money the store owner owes the Mamalukes.

Stevie Ray harasses Commissioner Funk, David Flair, and the badly wounded Arn Anderson into barring Booker T from ringside.

If this were EWR, they'd be complaining that the booker is over using Terry Funk.

Midnight is among the more forgettable WCW wrestlers. "Eh. Well, Asya didn't work out. What if we had a BLACK version of Chyna?"

Intergender sure has come a long way in the past 19 years.

Booker T runs out before Stevie Ray uses the flapjack. He wants his brother to beat her fairly. I forgot Stevie Ray used a literal flapjack,

Stevie Ray gets cocky and gets rolled up by Midnight. Now Harlem Heat is back together. There'll be no trouble from here on out.

No, wait. Stevie Ray beats Booker T and Midnight up with the flapjack.

Mike Tenay is SICKENED!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mean Gene is with The Revolution. They're fighting The Revolution at Souled Out '00 and facing David Flair & Crowbar for the Tag Titles tonight. Juvy brings in a hot babe to fuck Mean Gene. Mean Gene makes an O noise. I wish I had forgotten Mean Gene's horny gimmick.

Backstage, Terry Funk is sitting and looking anxious.

Mean Gene is in the ring. The babe is at ringside, blowing him kisses. He needs to do an interview before he gets horny. Crowd pops for horny Mean Gene. He is interviewing DDP. DDP insists Buff Bagwell isn't getting horny with his wife Kimberly. That sonuvabitch was hitting on her while DDP was filming Ready to Rumble! DDP "shoots" about how Buff Bagwell has cheated on his ex wife. He also claims Buff Bagwell is bisexual!? But he doesn't care. Buff can stick his stuff wherever he'd like. He just doesn't want him hitting on his wife. He closes the promo by talking about how his peen is bigger than Buff's.

The peen remark triggered Buff Bagwell and he runs out and the two brawl into the crowd.

Scott Hudson: When DDP was shooting like that, you knew it had to set Buff off.

What a horny segment of Thunder.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Backstage, Mean Gene and his groupie are leaving the building.

Juvy Guerrera is trying to interview Bam Bam Bigelow. Bam Bam doesn't have time for this. Chris Champagne Kanyon attacks him. Kanyon doing a pimp gimmick is another thing that I forgot about.

Kevin Nash is out to wrestle Bam Bam Bigelow. Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner attack Bam Bam before the match. They wheel an unconscious Bammer to the ring.

Nash then beats him up with a bat.

Why was NASH so intent on ruining Bam Bam Bigelow's life?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Filthy Animals Vs David Flair & Crowbar is next.

Eddie Guerrero is out injured but will be back at Souled Out '00. Would he though?

Tony Schiavone: Two weeks ago, Crowbar was a gas station attendant in Salisbury, Maryland and now he's a WCW Champion.

I hope Dominic and Rey's other kid watch these videos of Rey in '99 and '00 and have a good laugh cause their dad looked friggin stupid!

Rey is on the outside and we're getting the Konnan-Kidman duo for some reason.

I want to point out that the juggalos have held up ICP related signs all night except one of them held up a Norman Smiley hat during the US title match. LOL.

Arn Anderson limps out. He's been tortured for the past 3 days but he wants to watch the end of his godson David Flair's match.

He whacks Konnan with the crowd to give the Tag Team Champions the win.

Were they still doing the "David Flair is undeserving a WCW roster spot and needs the Four Horsemen's help" angle? Probably not cause LOL at the idea of WCW actually thinking of long term storytelling.

The Revolution come out to beat down Rey.. He just had knee surgery which explains why goofy Konnan was in the match instead of him? Konnan and Kidman make the save.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Main event time! Bret Hart Vs Terry Funk. Scott Hudson waxes nostalgic about

Underrated tragedy of end of Bret Hart's career. The fact that he wrestled his last few matches in a nWo 2000 t-shirt, shorts, and skateboard shoes (did he borrow that outfit from one of his teenage sons!?) cause all of his ring gear got stolen out of the locker room due to WCW's security being incompetent.

This is Bret's 2nd to last match (assuming we're all agreeing to pretend his 2010 "comeback" never happened).

Bret Hart taking chairshots is PRETTY, PRETTY UNCOMFORTABLE.

Bret Hart knocks out Charles Robinson.

Severely injured Arn Anderson wants to referee the match. David Flair (in a WCW Nitro Grill: Where The Big Boys Eat shirt) tells him to sit down and offers to referee himself. He locks Arn in the room.

nWo 2000 runs down to beat Terry Funk.

Nash steals David Flair's crowbar and beats him with it.

Crowbar and Daffney try and fail to make the save. NASH powerbombs Terry Funk through the stage to end the show.

I like that at the end of his WCW tenure, Vince Russo was probably like "Bro, if horny Mean Gene doesn't pop things. We can just always end with the nWo relentlessly beating all of the babyfaces like ya used to do, bro"

Valeyard

Reaction score
I need to watch more 2000 WCW shows.