Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

We haven't talked about our first concerts in a while

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We undoubtedly have had this thread in the past but what the hell?

my first concert chaperoned was Weird Al Yankovic on Halloween Night 1999 at the State Theatre in Portland. Save for maybe KISS (who always came on school nights) or a Beatle, I can't think of a better first concert for an 11 year old. What a blast.

First unaccompanied concert was seeing SR-71 and The Exies at a punk club called The Skinny in '02/'03. I have no idea why I went other than the tickets were cheap. I did see an angry dad shove some moshers who bumped him and his kids. That was really about one of the only memorable parts of that concert. A few years later, I would find out that my high school drama teacher's husband owned the venue. I was super bummed when Wesley Willis came there and it was 18+. Now that's a concert I wish I could've gone to.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
1996 was my first concert. Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan, I saw Korn with opener The Urge (a solid funk-metal band), and The Pharcyde. I've listened to more of The Pharcyde since then and like them more, but back then I didn't give a damn about them, and they weren't very good. They kept playing a longer set the more people booed. We just wanted to get to Korn, who absolutely killed it.

Dandy

Reaction score

The next to last show of The Monkees reunion tour in 1986 because of their renewed fanfare from the 60s television show that was played on Nick at Nite and MTV.

The Grass Roots and Herman’s Hermits opened up for them.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Assuming "Chipmunks on Ice" in 1985 doesn't count, George Michael the "Faith" tour in 1988(?).

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First overall, circa 1997: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I went for free doing some volunteer help with my father's Vietnam vets group.

First ticket bought, May 2000: Slipknot/Sevendust/Coal Chamber/Mudvayne/Hatebreed

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
1995. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers “Dogs With Wings” tour. Went with my dad. Great show. Pete Droge opened up, he kinda had one song that got some airplay around that time.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
WAAF Merry Mayhem, December 1999. Megadeth headlined with Sevendust and bands I don't remember in support. 13 year old Laz walked away with a greater appreciation for Sevendust, who put on an incredible live show with a ton of energy, and the beginning of my outright loathing for Dave Mustaine (mostly brought on by the 15-minute "Paranoid" cover that closed the show while "Peace Sells" and "Hangar 18" weren't on the set list at all).

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i snuck into a hell's angel run bar/club to see Gob when in the mid 90's and gave the door guy 20 bucks to not check my ID. I also saw such major acts there as Jet Set Satellite and post Edwin I Mother Earth.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Snocore 2002 headlined by Alien Ant Farm. Also on the bill were ADEMA and Glassjaw (local hardcore legends).