Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

What Are You Playing?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I took a break from RE2 to play FF7. Spent 40 hours with that and I’m back in the RE2 remake. My nerves are doing a little better with it than before.

It’ll either be Days Gone or South Park: Fractured But Whole next.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Been playing the Return to Arkham: Arkham Asylum game as I don't think I ever played that version but I've been enjoying it a lot. I think the combat system is better in Arkham City but I like the story/vibe a bit more in AA.

Staff member
Reaction score
I am finishing Detroit: Become Human and I'm about to start Dark Souls II against my better judgment. I did not realize that the first of those two games would basically be Westworld.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Finally got through the Leon run of the RE2 remake. That was the only game to give me anxiety like that before. I had gotten two hours into the game, then stopped to play through the FF7 Remake.

Going to start The Last of Us 2 tonight.

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm about to start Dark Souls II against my better judgment.

Um, I forgot how hard this series was. The first area with enemies I died four or five times between bonfires. But there was some progress as during the first game I could rarely even get back to my bloodstains, and I didn't have that problem now.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
started AC Odyssey and im digging it so far as i expected to. not sure if i like it more than origins though. Black Flag is for sure the peak of the series.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dark Souls 2 is some bullshit. I need to get back on it.

Staff member
Reaction score
Dark Souls 2 is some bullshit. I need to get back on it.

The hardest thing is retraining myself from almost three decades of playing games. Instead of rush into battle, sometimes I find that it’s best to just make one attack at a time until I learn how those fucks attack. Usually this works, but I also have to remember not to panic and leave my shield up, because if I panic I won’t regain back any stamina.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's also kinda busted. You need to level up things that are already there in other games, so it takes longer. There's just weird stat stuff that apparently isn't there in the other games; I shouldn't have to level up dodging so much just to beat the second boss in the game. I still try to bulldoze in on every enemy because it's just reflex, though, so some fault is mine but there's some genuine bullshit moments from the game itself.

I started DS3 a while back just to see what it was like, and it feels totally different.

Staff member
Reaction score
It's also kinda busted. You need to level up things that are already there in other games, so it takes longer. There's just weird stat stuff that apparently isn't there in the other games; I shouldn't have to level up dodging so much just to beat the second boss in the game. I still try to bulldoze in on every enemy because it's just reflex, though, so some fault is mine but there's some genuine bullshit moments from the game itself.

I started DS3 a while back just to see what it was like, and it feels totally different.

For the second boss (The Pursuer) I just used my shield and/or went backwards, then after his third attack rushed in and hit him once. Didn't even have to heal. Circling was also extremely effective but I was so close to him and I didn't have the patience for it. I died a couple of times with that method.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fuck the The Pursuer. It took me way too long to wrap my head around the Dark Souls logic, if that makes sense. In the end I think he fell off the ledge.

Staff member
Reaction score
Fuck the The Pursuer. It took me way too long to wrap my head around the Dark Souls logic, if that makes sense. In the end I think he fell off the ledge.

I just learned that you run into that motherfucker throughout the game. I beat four bosses tonight and only died six times so I feel like I accomplished some shit, but he was responsible for half those deaths.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I have no idea where I found it, but there's a giant Castlevania whip somewhere. I found it way underleveled and it was a mess. Just felt right using a whip, though.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
3 hours into The Last Of Us II. I like being back in this world.
I'm finding it a bit tedious, but I like it. I can't usually play it for more than an hour or so at a time or I start getting annoyed at how often you need to find an alternate route because a door is locked or whenever bad guys just show up seemingly randomly.

I do like how its structured with the flashbacks, though.

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea where I found it, but there's a giant Castlevania whip somewhere. I found it way underleveled and it was a mess. Just felt right using a whip, though.

I tried that but it wasn't moving fast enough for me. So I use a big greatsword and shield. I had a dose of reality today when I was moving through an area two shotting everything until running into four powerful enemies at the same time. Whoops. That was hard to deal with even when I paid attention.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just finished Last of Us 2. Holy fuck that game just DOESN'T WANT TO END.

Overall I enjoyed the hell out of it, although I would place it below the original. Probably somewhere in the 8.5 range.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just finished Last of Us 2. Holy fuck that game just DOESN'T WANT TO END.

Overall I enjoyed the hell out of it, although I would place it below the original. Probably somewhere in the 8.5 range.
I'm not sure why, but I started liking the game a lot more once
you start playing as Abby. I know the game play really isn't any different, but I guess I care more about that side of the story.
I'm not sure how close to the end I am, but I feel like I still have a ways to go.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but I started liking the game a lot more once
you start playing as Abby. I know the game play really isn't any different, but I guess I care more about that side of the story.
I'm not sure how close to the end I am, but I feel like I still have a ways to go.

I feel like the
section where you play as Abby
just went on for way too long. Really seemed like they could have cut that by about 50% and still gotten across what they wanted.

Also (general gameplay spoiler, not a specific story spoiler)
fuck the Stalkers. As someone who likes playing the game as stealthily as possible, having an enemy that you can't even pick up in listen mode is a horrible fucking addition.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like the
just went on for way too long. Really seemed like they could have cut that by about 50% and still gotten across what they wanted.
I'm feeling that. I just got to the part where
Yara dies. You spend all that game time keeping her alive just for her to end up dead at the end.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just played through Life is Strange 2. I got what is probably the darkest ending, which is kind of messing me up. I didn't think my morality was that low.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like the

Also (general gameplay spoiler, not a specific story spoiler)
fuck the Stalkers. As someone who likes playing the game as stealthily as possible, having an enemy that you can't even pick up in listen mode is a horrible fucking addition.

You're upset that in a horror survival game that the designers inserted an element that makes it more difficult? That's a bit silly.

Anyways, finished it last week and LOU2 is a masterpiece. If it weren't for the pacing issues I'd give it 10/10 but as it stands it's 9/10 and stands up there with Red Dead 2 as the best game I've played in the last few years.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been trying my luck with the Link to the Past/Super Metroid randomizer. First one took me over 18 hours, I'm hoping to dramatically decrease my time. 2nd playthrough seems to be going smoother but I dont know what time I'm at so far. I REALLY should have refreshed myself on LTTP first though, I keep getting stuck because of my lack of LTTP knowledge.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
started AC Odyssey and im digging it so far as i expected to. not sure if i like it more than origins though. Black Flag is for sure the peak of the series.

Still would say that Black Flag is the best game but this is better than Origins at this point (which was great). Making Naval combat a big part of the game again and refining the best parts of Origins plus the fact I'm a gigantic mark for Greek history/mythology.

I'm still only maybe a third of the way through the main story and maybe a bit more than that of the world explored but im almost to level 30 of 50 leveled up (the game levels enemies/regions with you so you cant just cruise through)

Staff member
Reaction score
Um, I forgot how hard this series was. The first area with enemies I died four or five times between bonfires. But there was some progress as during the first game I could rarely even get back to my bloodstains, and I didn't have that problem now.

Somehow I finished. The last three bosses are easier than the rest because once I got better at this game, I could bring in NPC summons for those fights due to not dying so much. Didn't die on any of them.

Now I just started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. First mission wasn't too hard, but I haven't played this series in a little while and I need to learn the controls.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You're upset that in a horror survival game that the designers inserted an element that makes it more difficult? That's a bit silly.

It's not that it makes it more difficult so much as TLOU is designed to allow you to play it either stealthy or action oriented depending on your play style, but it feels like that choice gets taken away from you in those sections.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you got to the LOU2 subreddit there's a link to a YouTube video of somebody using just bottles as a distraction to sneak past the Stalkers so stealth is possible. I just baited them all to follow me by running around like crazy then either used my melee weapon in close quarters or molatov'd the fuck out of them.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just a hoarder I guess. Anytime I do anything other than a stealth kill it feels like a waste of resources, and I think I used a molotov exactly one time in a non-boss situation.