Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

What Are You Playing?

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
These games might have threads but they've been out for a couple years so I don't think it's worth bumping each thread for one post, unlike a new game where there's actual talk about it coming out and then as people explore it etc.

I've been playing Dragonball Evoultion 1 on the pc. I just finished the main quest. I haven't enjoyed a DBZ game this much since DBZ Budakai 3. I liked that more but this was pretty fun. I'm going to finish all the parallel missions and I need to get the time shards to unlock the extra chapters.

I had also been playing Witcher II and am probably 65% done before I got sidetracked. Really great game that I need to get back to.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I got Mega Man Collection 2 and I finally beat Mega Man 7. I'm working on Mega Man 8.

Sonic Mania should be coming tomorrow and I'll start playing it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Finishing up Horizon Zero Dawn and just bought No Man's Sky so that will be next. Seems like a really relaxing game for the fall.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
About 53 hours into Persona 5 right now. It's a good RPG. But the longer it goes on the more I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Also playing a little Friday the 13th and I'll pick up Mario Kart on Switch now and then.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Doing the usual switching between GTA/Rocket League with some friends, with Helldivers and Planetside 2 tossed around. Also got The Division on sale for $20 and I'm enjoying it.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smite, Paladins, Overwatch, Smite Tactics (aka Hand of the Gods), Fortnite.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Fate/Grand Order and Final Fantasy XIV. All I've played recently.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Splatoon 2. Salmon Run mode is simultaneously hella fun and hella frustrating.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly Splatoon 2, too. I stick to Turf War, though. I tried Salmon Run, but I wasn't a fan of not being able to choose my weapons.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Towards the end of the second disc of Final Fantasy 8. I haven't played this game since 2000 and I never finished it, so I wanted to put it to rest. But now I actually know how to use the junction system that my 13-year old self didn't know and its a lot easier than I remember it being.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Once you figure out the Junction system, the game is a breeze. I beat the game with a level 45 Squall, 31 <Gun Slinger>, 28 <Love Interest> and everyone else just barely above 20. Aura, I think it is called becomes your best friend. Also, yes I can't remember anyone's name in the game other than Squall's. I didn't really like the game back then.

If you get into fights with the Tyrannosaurs early on, you can steal some Quakes from them before running away. Stock up enough of those you can then fight the Tyrans and easily power level yourself early on. Sometime in disc two you can get access to Aura. Also, I think if I remember correctly, you have to switch to magic for fights in either disc two or three, but in the last disc (four, I believe), you'll want to stick strictly with weapons, because you don't want to use your magic at all for that last one other than Aura. Well, I mean healing spells too, but I think I got around that for the last fight by having a way to spam party potions.

The drawing mechanic I think would've been better if you could equip the spell, but the amount of stocks you could possibly have of the magic dictated your stats, rather than the actual stocks you had. I entirely despise the fact that you had to hold onto your precise magics to keep certain stats. Even now I hate mechanics like that.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you grind out the first couple of hours for drawings spells (and even spend the time grinding out the items needed to get Squall his strongest weapon before the end of disc two like I did), the game flies by in the middle and I assume into the end.

I'm really into the junction system as it requires me to have long battles here and there rather than leveling up. It feels different from most RPGs in that sense, especially the final fantasy series.

I was young when I played this and I remember liking the story and characters more than I do know. Squall is literally the worst hero I've ever played as in a game and the story is a convoluted mess. I'm reaching that point where I can't wait to finish it and move on.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
What is this Dragonball game that you speak of? Because it sounds good but the only Dragonball Evolution game I know of is the awful PSP one based on the awful movie.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have a huge backlog that I'll never get to it feels like. Especially because I keep getting sidetracked.

Currently I'm playing Sleeping Dogs. I am still at the beginning but it feels like it's getting repetitive already. I guess I'm used to the deepness of GTA 5 for my sandbox games.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
DBX is a good game, though a bit flawed. Second game irons out a few of them though.

HSJ said:
If you grind out the first couple of hours for drawings spells (and even spend the time grinding out the items needed to get Squall his strongest weapon before the end of disc two like I did), the game flies by in the middle and I assume into the end.
Yup. Pretty much until end game. Quake is overpowered as fuck.

I'm really into the junction system as it requires me to have long battles here and there rather than leveling up. It feels different from most RPGs in that sense, especially the final fantasy series.
Yeah, it is a nice system that I think if utilize more like I said, it would've been a lot more well liked.

I was young when I played this and I remember liking the story and characters more than I do know. Squall is literally the worst hero I've ever played as in a game and the story is a convoluted mess. I'm reaching that point where I can't wait to finish it and move on.
Yeah, the game just sadly devolves from a great game, to a poor game. You can almost tell when. I think it is the end of disc one or two, when Irvine goes to kill Ultimecia and that doesn't work.

-----------------------------

Stupid Fate/Grand Order. I swear to God, if this wasn't a Fate title, I wouldn't be bothering with it. No, it isn't a bad. Just a Gacha game, and I have the worst luck with those. Give me Nero (Saber from Fate/Extra), Mordred (Red Saber/Acrophya), Jeanne (Ruler from Fate/Acrophya), Altria (Saber from Fate/Stay Night), or Altera (Saber/Extella) dammit. I want my favorites!

Well, I did pick up a few golds, so I guess I can't complain too much. I have St. Martha (Rider/Grand Order), Herakles (Berserker/Stay Night), Emiya (Archer/Stay Night) and Altria Lily (Saber/Grand Order). Those be my golds. I also have Cu in Lancer, Caster and Prototype forms. Kiyohime, Boudica, Ushiwakamaru, both of Gillis' forms, Kojirou, to name a lot but probably just half of my roster. Everyone's not fully leveled up yet, so I need to work on those. However, I shall be soon! Then it is hunting down the stuff to ascend to higher levels and more grinding. Then do what I can to get stuff to buy more chances to earn servants...

...I haven't spent a dime on the game yet. So you can not judge me!

Seriously though, it is simple for some brainless fun, and the story isn't bad either. You won't need to know anything about the multiverse from Kinoko Nasu (the creator of it). It pretty much is stand alone, though fan service for those who do. Right now North America is waiting on the latest expansion for the story, which is the third order. Has some fantastic music as well.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flik said:
DBX is a good game, though a bit flawed. Second game irons out a few of them though.

I played through the first one twice but never picked up the second one because I was afraid it'd just be a continuation of the first one. Is that the case?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Sleeping Dragons was a great game but I understand if you're getting tired of open world games. There are too many of them.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Xenoverse is fun but only being able to go up to Super Saiyan 2 (and 3 if you play as Goku/etc) made me sad. I need my full array of insane transformations.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
I have a huge backlog that I'll never get to it feels like. Especially because I keep getting sidetracked.

Currently I'm playing Sleeping Dogs. I am still at the beginning but it feels like it's getting repetitive already. I guess I'm used to the deepness of GTA 5 for my sandbox games.

Sleeping Dogs is actually my favorite open world crime game of all time. It may not have the depth and all the systems of something like a GTA, but it's just flat out fucking *fun* above all else, which is something that a lot of other open world games lost sight of in their map-size dick measuring contests.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Flik said:

I played through the first one twice but never picked up the second one because I was afraid it'd just be a continuation of the first one. Is that the case?
It is a continuation, but they do stand alone as well though. Because even though you can import your old character, you have to use a new character instead. So if you just want to jump into the second one that's alright.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just finished Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2. Fantastic turn-based JRPG series. Unfortunately now I'm anxious waiting for Part 3.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Falcom is one of the best story crafting companies I know of. I want Trails of Cold Steel as well as the rest of Trails In The Sky (I own 1st chapter).

Also the music is simply fantastic. I usually am against synth because it can be terrible, but damn can they blend it in so well that I don't care.

It is funny that the Legend of Heroes series spun out these Trails series. There's also Legend of the Heroes VII that I want to see come over because it supposedly continues the awesomeness that comes before it.

It also is a continuation of the same world as VI as it takes 3 months after VI's 3rd Chapter. The story is made up of Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki, and takes place in the country of Crossbell this time. In fact this occurs at the same time as Trails of Cold Steel.

I'd assume the titles for VII would be something like Trails of Naught and probably Trails of Melancholy/Mourning. At least that's my guess. Simply because Zero would most likely not work in the title and the second title may be the Japanese word for blue (Ao), but being blue would usually mean those two words. I'm not sure Naught is the right title, but it suffices for what I'm getting at.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to see the Crossbell games come over.

You get a brief stopover there in Cold Steel 2 where you get to play as Lloyd and Rixia.

I suspect the hangup is Ao no Kiseki which doesn't have a Japanese PC release.

As for the names, I usually hear them translated by fans as Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure, but who knows what they would be in an official translation.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'm getting near the end of I Am Setsuna. It's ok, but I've rapidly lost interest as I've gotten further in it. The story just keeps stalling and one of the characters even says at one point it feels like it's one step forward two steps back. No shit!

Good music though, and I dig the Chrono Trigger combos and techs.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got back to Witcher 2 and finished up Act 2 just now. I'm on the Ioverth path. Wasn't big on the undead battlefield finale after all the collecting but the siege was a lot of fun.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I own all 3 Witcher games and I've played like 5 minutes of 3. I keep forgetting I own them all and keep forgetting to play them. I'll probably do a let's play of the whole thing. You guys could laugh as I fail again and again.

I suck at action games.

Kahran Ramsus said:
Yeah, I'd love to see the Crossbell games come over.

You get a brief stopover there in Cold Steel 2 where you get to play as Lloyd and Rixia.

I suspect the hangup is Ao no Kiseki which doesn't have a Japanese PC release.

As for the names, I usually hear them translated by fans as Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure, but who knows what they would be in an official translation.
Those where the names I thought of when I originally saw the Japanese titles, but I think the other titles were more in line.

And dammit, I really need to buy the rest of the stories. :( Stupid money from government needs to get here.

<_< I need some recreation stuff.

Smues said:
I think I'm getting near the end of I Am Setsuna. It's ok, but I've rapidly lost interest as I've gotten further in it. The story just keeps stalling and one of the characters even says at one point it feels like it's one step forward two steps back. No shit!

Good music though, and I dig the Chrono Trigger combos and techs.
Yeah, that's something I hear a lot about Setsuna. I'm hoping Lost Sphere (its pseudo sequel) plays it out better than that. Though, I still need to get Setsuna, so I'm not really one to talk.

---

So what am I playing? Found Pokemon Sun so I put my Pokemon from it into the Pokebank and blew up my game and started anew. Why? Because why not.

Also working on Scholar for FFXIV. Grinding out POTD is just a pain to do.

And yes, I know grinding out will be hypocritical of me saying that since I also am playing Fate/Grand Order and doing a whole bunch of grinding before the next story chapter comes out. Great story, grindy as FFFFFFFFFFFudge. Also, give me the characters I want RNG. Oh, I scored Marie Antoinette. FUCK YES! :mad: Do not say a word about how I'm addicted to a Gacha game. Because I'm not. I can stop this at any... I want Nero dammit game! GIVE ME NERO!

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm an old school Final Fantasy fan and am currently playing my way through Bravely Second. It and its predecessor are basically SNES Era Final Fantasy games in all but name, complete with an expanded FF5-style job system. Story is "meh," but the battle system is a ton of fun.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Free trial weekend for Rainbow Six Siege. I'll probably be jumping on that with a few friends.