Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

What games did you dislike that were universally praised?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
The problem with Fire Pro is that it emulates wrestling too realistically. I have to hit my finisher at least three times in order to get the win.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That's actually one of the things I love about the series, that you can hit your finish at any time but it's not guaranteed to work unless you've beaten your opponent down quite a bit.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Mario 64 set the bar tremendously high when it came out, but even in 96, i thought the control was rough and the camera killed the experience for me.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sonic CD is a colorful, lush game with two great soundtracks, and some creative boss battles.

That being said, its levels are complicated pains in the ass, lacking any of the streamlined stage design of the Genesis titles, and completely counterintuitive to either finding the special stages or going back in time to make a good future. A high percentage of the play time feels like a series of amateur Super Mario Maker levels by someone who felt you can't have enough platforms, spikes, and conveyor belts.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Yeah after finding a Past post, I have trouble building the momentum to travel in the past. Other than the FMV in opening and closing, Sonic CD could have been a Genesis game.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't. I'm just referring to the 2011 remaster which has widescreen, a better physics engine, and improved special stages. I can't even imagine how much more frustrating the 1993 release was.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
My one friend who had a Sega CD had it, and we spent way more time playing Sewer Shark and Night Trap. And C&C Music Factory Make My Video.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I'm one of the very few people who had a Sega CD that didn't own it