Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

"What if's" of sports history

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
What if the chargers trade Phillip Rivers instead of Drew Brees....does it make a difference over next few seasons?

NoCalMike

Reaction score
What if Jeremy Giambi learned how to slide into home plate?

What if Jerry Jones never pulls off the Hershel Walker trade?

OG

OG
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
What if Jerry Jones never pulls off the Hershel Walker trade?
The dynasty doesn't happen because they don't have the draft picks of their own for a massive rebuild. With Johnson coaching and Walker and Michael Irvin, they're still competitive but don't reach the peaks they did.

teke184

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Cowboys had Aikman, regardless of that trade, because they went 3-13 during the '88 season.

It would have prevented some of Jerry and Jimmy's dumber moves, though, like drafting Steve Walsh in the '89 supplemental draft with what would have been the #1 overall pick in the '90 draft.

OG

OG
Reaction score
A lot of those extra picks added depth and two of them netted Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson, without whom there is no dynasty. With no Emmitt, they maybe win an SB and maybe not.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
How many of the O-lineman came from draft picks that were gained from the trade?

That was really the glue that won them the championships.

I think Michael Irvin is the only one of the triplets that still might have thrived without that beast of an O-line.

teke184

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
How many of the O-lineman came from draft picks that were gained from the trade?

That was really the glue that won them the championships.

I think Michael Irvin is the only one of the triplets that still might have thrived without that beast of an O-line.

Per Wiki-

Minnesota Vikings received

RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys received

LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

These picks and players were RBs, WRs, and DBs, NOT O-line guys, though some of the picks were subsequently flipped in other trades which aren't recounted here such as getting the #1 overall in 1991 to use on DT Russell Maryland.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Another expansion what-if:

What if the NBA only expands to Toronto in 1995 for an even 28 instead of adding Vancouver in there?

This could mean that the Bulls, being the westernmost team in the East, are shifted to the strangely-named Midwest Division to round it out to seven while the Raptors knock Miami or Orlando into the Central. This, however, assumes that the Bulls don't have the clout to stand pat, the same way the Cubs and Cardinals wouldn't let baseball flip-flop them with the Braves and Reds. Whether they're in the West or not, the Bulls probably don't win 72 games, and maybe they don't threepeat.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
nfl_ap_norwood_195.jpg

If that kick went through the uprights, we'd be talking about the Bills as one of the greatest dynasties ever and it might have changed the future of the franchise.

I don't see them making the next 3 if they had won the first one. The losing is what drove them...and there were a bunch of stuck up assholes on that team so it probably would have imploded if they weren't humbled every year.

The real compelling thing is what happens to the city if they had won that game. The overriding mentality in this city is a loser one...and I've seen that it's more a product of sports failures than economic or climate ones. Maybe that kick goes through and everyone isn't such an asshole. Maybe there is an attitude around here with some silver lining on the bad instead of doom and gloom on the good. Maybe we'd all know our neighbors and laugh a little louder and brush off things a little easier. Maybe the region wouldn't feel as irrelevant as it has become and is. Maybe the winters feel a little less cold and the summers a little less short. Maybe I don't let that girl leave because of the constant reminder all around that nothing can ever be good weighing so heavily that it's impossible to ever try to make anything...good.

At the very least maybe Ralph wouldn't have started to look at the franchise as nothing more than a business where he has to get his 30 million in profits at any cost and I don't have to plan the trip to piss on his grave in Detroit upon his death.

Tickets still available.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
What if there was competent referees in Super Bowl XL? Does Seattle win the big one?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Baron said:
What if there was competent referees in Super Bowl XL? Does Seattle win the big one?

No. Seattle played like shit the entire game, refs or not.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
What happens if Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't tear his hamstring in a spring training game in 2001, causing him to eventually have a never before done surgery where the muscle is re-attached to the bone with screws. It allows him to play, but from that point forward he never has the power of his legs underneath him, instead he swings mainly with his upper body.

Does he break Hank Aaron's record? Does he hit more home runs then Bonds?

Would his chase bring in more people to the Reds park, meaning better free agents?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Baron said:

I dont have any doubt that Seattle wins if the refs didn't have a winner in mind before the game started. That was horrible.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
Red Baron said:

I dont have any doubt that Seattle wins if the refs didn't have a winner in mind before the game started. That was horrible.
I think Pittsburgh still wins, but I think it would have been a squeaker probably won with a score in the last minute or so.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
The late 90's and early 2000's should have belonged to the redskins after getting like 9 picks in the Ricky Williams trade (Barron were you a fan then? What did you think?) Combined with Snyder's Free Agent frenzy spending.

I'm going to see who the Skins drafted later and maybe add further comment.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been a Saints fan my whole life. I wasn't thrilled with it. The whole Mike Ditka era was one big fail

stevejrogers

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All Star Mike Zagurski said:
What if the Dodgers moved the Queens and played in Shea Stadium instead of moving to LA?

-Gene Autry would still petition for a team in So Cal. The Giants still suffering attendance issues would look for a new market to play in. The Giants would move to San Franciscoand the expansion Angels would play in the NL in LA.

Haven't read rest of thread, but the Giants were all set to move to Minnesota before everything went down with O'Malley and Brooklyn.

stevejrogers

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What if Duaner Sanchez doesn't decide to go for an after mid-night snack in South Beach?

No Million Dollar Arm with a 10 cent head filled of headaches over the course of the next 4 seasons.

No need to bring in Heilman in face Yadir Molina.

Maybe things wouldn't have been all that different (the "we're bored" malaize and sheer deer in the headlights look while in mid-collapse of the Minaya/Randolph/Manuel years Mets would still be there), but the pen really has never been the same, and Perez really did hamstring the rotation for 4 years.

stevejrogers

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Because I'm getting nauseated with all the Mariano Rivera is the Paragon of Virtue nonsense in the wake if his getting the All Time Saves record, what if instead of happening in Panama, the accident that claimed the lives of Rivera's wife's cousin and that man's son happened here in the States somewhere?

First off, there is no way the investigation is as short as it was. Guarantee you that at least the national media would be all over this story more, sniffing out every single angle possible.

Chances are good that Rivera is held back from Spring Training 2005 due to the distraction the impending legal case would bring. Soooo, Yankees need a closer.

Oh and yes, there would be a trial. At least charges of negligent manslaughter based on the electrical wiring being FUCKING LETHAL! Along with questions about why Rivera would be so intent in killing, rather than scaring off would be intruders or wild dogs from his pool.

To say nothing about a civil suit brought on by Rivera's wife's family, no doubt leading to the couple divorcing.

In other words, Saint Mariano had better thank his lucky stars that it happened in a country, and married into a family where he is the meal ticket. Because his perfect image would be forever tarnished, and it should be actually, if the accident happened here in the States.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What if the Yankees had beaten the Tigers in 2006?

Would Cory Lidle still be alive?

There.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Beating the Tigers wouldn't have improved his flying abilities. Could Flydle just doesn't have the same ring too it.

But to play along, let's say the Yankees beat the Tigers and go on to beat the Cardinals in the world series. Does having no world series celebration prevent Josh Hancock was drinking, and for some reason causes him to not drink and drive the next year and kill himself? JOSH HANCOCK WOULD BE ALIVE DAMN YOU 2006 DETROIT TIGER.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
What if the Pirates had won the 1972 World Series?

Roberto Clemente gets a huge World Series bonus. He uses the money to buy a better plane. Instead of crashing into the sea, the plane safely reaches Nicaragua with emergency supplies. Nicaragua is saved and thrives, growing into the economic power of Latin America. The country bails out America during the 2008 debt crisis, eventually owning 75% of our debt and ensuring that we all learn Spanish instead of Chinese. Chevrolet is unable to garner goodwill by sponsoring the Roberto Clemente Award and is forced to cease business operations. With no Roberto Clemente Award, Derek Jeter sees no reward to his good deeds and instead turns to a life of crime. The Pirates meanwhile win four World Series titles in the aughts behind manager Clemente.

All because Manny Sanguillen can't block a pitch in the dirt.

stevejrogers

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I made a more logical outline of events leading to the tarnishment of Mariano Rivera's pristine image!