Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

What utensil do you eat mashed potatoes with?

What utensil do you eat mashed potatoes with?

• Total voters

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This was subject of "Ask John Hodgman" in New York Times and made me curious. Askee was incredulous that her husband ate mashed potatoes with a spoon and while I think a fork is preferred, I don't think eating them with a spoon is that weird. I've always eaten with a fork but I eat potato salad occasionally with a spoon and that's really not that far off from mashed taters. I can see the appeal.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Good mashed potatoes should be stiff enough to eat with a fork comfortably. Still, a spoon might always be objectively the best instrument to use. I always use a fork because I'm an adult and having a separate "mashed potato" spoon is a few steps too far for me.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I believe I ate them with a spoon after I had my wisdom teeth removed. But its very rare that I eat mashed potatoes on their own. They’re usually a side dish for meat loaf or chicken or whatever and in that case I use the same fork I use for the main course.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
With the exception of the wisdom teeth part, I‘m in the same boat as Mr. BUTT.

I can imagine people using a spoon but honestly I use a fork for nearly anything I can think of that uses a utensil outside of soup, cereal, ice cream or pudding.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Generally only get mashed potatoes as a side to a good roast or hamburger steak, so I'm forking it.

Oddly enough, we were talking food stuff at work yesterday and a coworker is a mashed potatoes fan, her favorite food. She said it wasn't until she got an adult job did she realize her family was the only family that had mashed potatoes as a side dish to hamburgers on bun. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's not something I had ever heard of either and was trying to figure ways to poll similar aged people without starting a thread about ''what do you eat with your burgers because my coworker makes mashed potatoes?"