Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Which team should get the next "Last Dance" style multi part documentary?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I have a two disc DVD which is part doc and full games. Also, one of the first 30 for 30's was A Kings Ransom, which talked about the trade from Edmonton to LA.

I have another idea: what about early NASCAR. It started out as drivers trying outrun the cops and became one of the most popular sports in America and is declining now. There's a lot of unique personalities in racing like Richard Petty, Dale Ernhardt, and others.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"A Kings Ransom" was the first episode of 30 for 30.

I'm not a NASCAR guy fan at all but I think that deserves the next Ken Burns treatment. I think he would crush it just like he did with Country Music.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 1994 San Francisco 49ers would be an interesting subject. They have enough personality with Deion, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Merton Hanks, Ken Norton Jr, etc. + the NFL Films aspect which probably has a ton of good footage that has never seen the light of day.

Seifert's run kind of gets glossed over/ignored but that was the last winning SB 49ers team of that dominant era, came off losing 3 of 4 NFC Title Games, and would collapse nearly overnight into mediocrity in just a span of 5 seasons.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trying to write this without being immediately dismissed as a BITTER NEW ENGLAND MAN. Derek Jeter is a very good baseball player and a stand up fella but it just seems like ESPN and New York sports media thinks he's way more interesting than he actually is. Unless ESPN turns into just E! and talks about all of the hotties he's schtupped.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Trying to write this without being immediately dismissed as a BITTER NEW ENGLAND MAN. Derek Jeter is a very good baseball player and a stand up fella but it just seems like ESPN and New York sports media thinks he's way more interesting than he actually is. Unless ESPN turns into just E! and talks about all of the hotties he's schtupped.
I think that's fair. Jeter was a very good to great ballplayer. As a personality he shunned controversy as much as possible and tried to project professionalism as much as possible. It doesn't seem like fodder for a fascinating documentary unless you're into creating demigods.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought "Well, wasn't he raised by a single parent?" but no! From sounds of Wikipedia, he had an idealistic childhood. I'm just really wondering where conflict in story is. It seems like it'll be very easy to verge into hagiography.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Relatively speaking IRT to the all time greats (people who get hagiographic docuseries produced about them). How many MVP Awards did he win?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was surprised to find out Jeter got most votes for MVP in 2006. He came in 2nd place and just barely lost to Justin Morneau (who presumbably won't get an ESPN docuseries).

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I know. But he hit .310 and at the end of the day his team made it to the playoffs several times despite his horrendous fielding.
I know about the advanced stats but

Him being on this list has to mean something.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm always curious how those docs are, same for any HBO Max original specials, etc. I've found them to be mostly split with some being good and others being so so.