Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WNBA THREAD

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: 2014 WNBA SEASON THREAD

Britney Griner just got gouged in her right eye.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Already bruised and there's a cut, but maybe it won't look too bad. Stay strong, Phoenix fans! (Baby Shoes?)

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I turned this on to see if DellaDonne is doing anything positive. Turns out she is but Phoenix is just on a tear.
And Diana Taurasi is still in the league? It feels like a long time ago she was playing at UCONN. Maybe it wasn't as long ago as I thought.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

I think the East vs. West coast in the WNBA this year was like real NBA.

Phoenix was like 29-5, whereas Chicago was 15-19.

I got invited to Sunday's game but had stuff to do. My friend is at tonight's game. I'd go to Game 5 if it comes back (Best of 5 series) but I don't think it makes it back.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score

Baby Shoes said:
I think the East vs. West coast in the WNBA this year was like NBA.
It's not just this year: Indiana is the only current eastern conference team that has ever won a championship. The only other team to ever win a championship for the eastern conference relocated to the western conference, six years ago.

Phoenix was like 29-5, whereas Chicago was 15-19.
This is also the fifth consecutive year that the #1 seed in the east failed to reach the Finals. In fact, it's the third time in five years that the #1 seed in the east failed to get out of the first round.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

All I know is it is a lot like college basketball.

If all the players loved to scissor each other.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

There is something wrong when the champion of your league might have a record of 15-19. That's just sad. I don't know how anyone, except maybe for fans of the team, can be excited that a team that is 4 games under .500 might hoist the trophy.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score

Detective Ventriloquist said:
There is something wrong when the champion of your league might have a record of 15-19. That's just sad. I don't know how anyone, except maybe for fans of the team, can be excited that a team that is 4 games under .500 might hoist the trophy.
If it makes you feel any better, they're not going to win.

Most of the positive sentiment regarding Chicago being in the Finals revolves around the fact that 1) Elena Delle Donne is one of the 2-3 most popular women's basketball players in the world, making her as close to a "ratings grabber" as actually exists for the WNBA, and 2) most WNBA fans claiming to be sick of the fact that the actual best team in the eastern conference keeps getting to the Finals and losing. So, a lot of the sentiment is less "pro-Chicago," and more "anybody but Atlanta." I think a lot of WNBA fans have a blind spot to how terrible the east, outside of Atlanta, really is.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Chicago didn't even have DellaDonne for most of the season. She's been out with Lyme disease and a bad back here recently. And she's trying her hardest to remain on the court with her back.

Even with her though, they are pretty terrible. I'm just glad she is back out there even though she is nowhere near 100% and may never be again.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The Russian Club Team that Diana Taurasi plays for is paying her to sit out the 2015-16 WNBA Season.

Baby Shoes, you must be so crushed! :(

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score

Of course, nobody mentions that one huge difference between the WNBA and those foreign leagues is that most of those foreign leagues are subsidized by their respective governments.

If US taxpayers were footing the bill for the W, we could pay the players a half mill a year here, too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I was kind of shocked though that a top WNBA player like Taurasi only gets paid a 100 grand a year. I know WNBA's not terribly popular but still seems like it should be more than that. That's like a fifth the NBA league minimum!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score

What's more alarming is the fact that 36 other players in the WNBA make as much as Taurasi. That's insane; it's literally a quarter of the league. Can you imagine how fucked the NBA would be, if there were a hundred guys making as much as LeBron James?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/sports/basketball/diana-taurasi-focusing-on-playing-in-russia-where-the-money-is.html?_r=0&module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=Pro%20Basketball&action=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article
Good New York Times feature on Diana Taurasi's life playing in Russia.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

ISIAH THOMAS IS NOW PRESIDENT OF THE NEW YORK LIBERTY

LET THE GREATNESS CONTINUE

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

People are saying this is Dolan's worst decision.

I heard he's making the move to prepare for Isiah to move in after Phil abruptly retires. Okay, THAT would be the worst decision.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score

Tom Cena said:
I heard he's making the move to prepare for Isiah to move in after Phil abruptly retires. Okay, THAT would be the worst decision.

CANT WAIT

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Well, if that is why, at least it makes sense.

I didn't say rational. Just a type of sense that you'd normally give to crazy people or the mentally insane.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score

The CBA, the Raptors, the Pacers, the Knicks, FIU... now he's moving on to ruin the WNBA? Is Zeke working off a fucking checklist?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Changed the title from 2014 to an all-purpose one.

Got an offer from Groupon to get a Mercury ticket WITH selfie stick for $17. HOW CAN I PASS?!?!?!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I know...

I normally don't check in on women's basketball between Columbus Day and Memorial Day (mainly because I loathe college sports, of all flavors), but I had time to kill yesterday, while I was waiting for the trailers to start at the showing of Doctor Strange I went to, and I happened on this:

https://www.facebook.com/13teams1journey/posts/10153937998876611

Since it's not evident by that post, let me just point out that those two women are teammates, on the same WNBA team. Last year, it became briefly noteworthy when Britney Griner and Glory Johnson got married, and subsequently divorced, but they didn't play on the same team... I find myself wondering how that would play out in a men's locker room. Like, even if there were openly gay players in a men's league, can you even imagine two guys on the same team dating each other? How would that play out, if they broke up? Hell, just looking at hetero relationships, I remember, back in 2009, that WNBA player Camille Little (a borderline All-Star talent) demanded a trade out of Atlanta, after she broke up with Marvin Williams, who was still on the Hawks at the time; she ended up getting traded to Seattle and, the next season, Seattle beat Atlanta in the WNBA Finals. That breakup may have literally cost Atlanta's WNBA team a championship: how the hell would fans react if something like that happened in a men's sport?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
FWIW, a rebuttal by another former WNBA player: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210980998414237&id=1032417279

And, an editorial piece by a current WNBA player: http://moniquecurrie.sportsblog.com/posts/32075247/perception-is-real--candice-wiggins--truth.html

And another one: http://www.imaniboyette.com/dear-candice/

Also, ninety-eight percent? That would mean that, rounding up to the nearest whole number, that there are only three hetero women in the league. I don't know exactly how many straight women there are in the WNBA, but I'll go to the bank with it being more than three.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
One of Ms. Wiggins' former teammates had a humorous comment about the 98 percent figure: https://twitter.com/MsPeters14/status/833739498194362370

Devereaux Peters
‏@MsPeters14

Follow
More
Bria Hartley, Mistie Bass, Dearrica Hamby & Taylor Hill have had babies in the past year. So according to the numbers, I identify as gay now

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Bump time for Slim

WNBA's top pick been playing pickup with NBA's group of Washington pros for the past few years

https://therivardreport.com/how-nba-competition-shaped-the-wnbas-no-1-pick/