Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestlemania 25

MillenniumMan831

Monsoon_Classic
Reaction score
So did they at least stream the Tag Title match on wwe.com? Just curious.

And by the by, the video quality for the HoF stream on the website was phenominal.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but Mania 25 apparently set a record for amount of in-ring wrestling. I'll get the exact note from the Observer (and some other notes) a bit later.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Observer Mania Notes:

WWE WRESTLEMANIA PPV POLL RESULTS
Thumbs up - 307 (52.8%)
Thumbs down - 123 (21.2%)
In the middle - 151 (26.0%)

BEST MATCH POLL
Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels - 543
Money in the Bank - 8

WORST MATCH POLL
Womens Battle Royal - 346
HHH vs. Randy Orton - 92
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL - 64
Chris Jericho vs. Steamboat & Piper & Snuka - 19

Star Ratings (the most important thing in the world to internet wrestling fans):

MITB V: ***3/4
Divas Match: DUD
Jericho vs. Snuka/Piper/Steamboat: **
Matt vs. Jeff: ***1/4
Rey vs. JBL: No rating
Undertaker vs. HBK: ****3/4
Cena vs. Edge vs. Show: ***1/4
HHH vs. Orton: **1/2

The 72,744 figure for attendance is believed to be legit. They didn't boast this as being a record due to a rodeo (which is apparently a big deal there as there was a big series of rodeo shows) peaking with 74,147 people in attendance on March 15th.

In-ring time: Wrestlemania 25 featured 147 minutes of wrestling in a three hour 57 minute show, the most actual wrestling time in history. Undertaker vs. HBK is the second longest match in Mania history (at 30:41) - I'm sure you can figure out which match is the longest in Mania history.

Jerry Lawler was very disappointed about not working the show. He was apparently promised a role at Mania XXIV after Vince told him it would be unwise to rush him onto the Mania 23 card, but here we are, two years later and Vince still hasn't given him a match.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't give it five stars either. I can't honestly give a perfect rating to a match which had a botch so horrifying that I was afraid I'd just watched a guy break his neck right in front of me, like with Taker's dive. Which seems a better reason to ding its rating down than a messy DDT, no matter how ugly it was (how do you somehow DDT a guy onto your own stomach, anyway?).

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
To clarify, Dave does not specify "I took 1/4* away due to the botched DDT", though he does point out it was botched. Bryan mentioned something about the spot taking the match below ***** on The Board though (there's apparently a whole debate about star ratings there due to Alvarez's *1/2 rating for Orton/HHH).

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
In-ring time: Wrestlemania 25 featured 147 minutes of wrestling in a three hour 57 minute show, the most actual wrestling time in history. Undertaker vs. HBK is the second longest match in Mania history (at 30:41) - I'm sure you can figure out which match is the longest in Mania history.

It's actually the 3rd longest match in 'Mania history after the Ironman match (WM12) and HHH vs. Rock vs. Foley vs. Show (WM2000)

Ed Wood Caulfield

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
The 72,744 figure for attendance is believed to be legit. They didn't boast this as being a record due to a rodeo (which is apparently a big deal there as there was a big series of rodeo shows) peaking with 74,147 people in attendance on March 15th.

Oh yeah, Texans LOVE rodeo shows. That's no surprise there.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about Triple H, post quad injury, is that he just doesn't have the "speed" in the ring that he used to have. That in part made his PAW main event so much more unbearable because it was slow and plodding in addition.

If you watch Undertaker, HBK, even a John Cena/Hulk Hogan they all have some semblance of speed in the ring that allows for a good pace but Triple H has almost perfected that slow/plodding doing every move slowly but methodically tactic. It doesn't help that the match was just poorly scripted with almost no "hope" comeback spots at all.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Man, in the last Smackdown elimination chamber... Taker was the fastest guy in there. Damn near 50, artificial hip, horrible knees, and he's around 6'9" 300 pounds... and he's still the fastest guy in there.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Don't watch must of the rasslin' anymore but I caught HBK/UT. It ruled.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
After catching a few replays on Justin.tv, I stand by my review back on page 13 or 14 on every match. MITB just wasn't there for me this year. Can't place what I mean exactly, but there was nothing that set it apart this time. I mean, I see Shelton Benjamin kill himself for our pleasure year in and year out, seeing him fly off the big ladder was nothing special. It's fucked up because I know how dangerous it was, but meh. If Mark Henry had been allowed to fly off the top rope onto all the guys outside it would have gotten another half star from me, and that's coming from someone who hates the "everyone stand together and catch the guy doing the crazy move" spot.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Shelton Benjamin's dive deserves more love considering the dude who had to break his fall was Kofi Kingston. Not Kane, not even Finlay, but Kofi Kingston. I thought for sure he had a fucked up knee or ankle once the camera zoomed in on the aftermath.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
I still say 8 is too many guys to effectively feature. At least twice during the match, someone came back in to hit a spot and my reaction was "oh yeah, forgot about him!" And not in the good way, in the "where's he been for the past 5 minutes? I forgot he was even involved" way.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Undertaker was at TV in Austin, but only used backstage and was chilling out, but is scheduled full-time from this point forward. During the dive when he landed pretty much on his head, everyone was talking about how God was on his side that night because it could have been a disaster. There were people blaming it on Sim Snuka, who was the guy who played the camera man whose role was to catch him and really didn’t, but others said it was a tough situation having to be there, drop the camera and make the catch, and Undertaker landing short of what Snuka thought was the mark. Undertaker was knocked out and went “on fumes” the rest of the match.

WON