Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestlers and their movies

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
riverofangle_32296.jpg

Unspeakable evil has fallen on a quiet river town. Sheriff Logan is thrust into a chilling nightmare of death and mayhem that paralyzes the town. He then learns of the community's seedy past and the evil that has risen from purgatory to exact revenge on the town. He is confronted by the spirits of old river squatters, "The Jacobs Boys," who possess the very essence of evil.

Gold medal-winning Olympic wrestler turned professional wrestler Kurt Angle portrayed a psycho sexual serial killer in Koehler's End Game. This time Angle makes a face turn playing the heroic sheriff out to stop a bloody trail of vengeance from being left behind by three hulking brothers killed by a lynch mob thirty years earlier.

Fellow pro wrestlers Kevin Nash (who has also appeared in The Punisher and The Longest Yard) and Psycho Sid Vicious, along with Bill Laing, the actor portraying the Mothman in The Mothman Prophecies, oppose Angle as the hulking Jacoby Boys.

Bill Hinzman, best known as the very first zombie to appear in the opening minutes of the original Night of the Living Dead, is Harvey Hix, a reclusive vigilante who knows an awful lot about the town's seedy history.

Other recognizable faces appearing include another pro wrestler, Ray Lloyd (known to WCW fans as the Mortal Kombat-inspired grappler "Glacier"), Allan Rowe Kelly of Don't Look in the Basement, and My Bloody Valentine 3D's Sam Nicotero.

I, for one, salute Kurt for finally finding a life for himself outside of pro wrestling and becoming the Z movie king.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wrestlers and their appalling movies

I'd way rather watch this than just about any of the stuff the WWE is putting out. Seriously, locked in a room and given the choice of this, Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia and The Marine 2, you telling me that "Sycho Sid and Diesel as undead hellbeasts" wouldn't be the one you pick?

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score

I didn't know what to say to Angle at the BCW Meet and Greet session that wouldn't be a lie, but "I can't to see you vs. Zombie Sid and Nash in River of Darkness" seems to be an honest thing I can say.

atticus Chaos

Reaction score

I want to see The Marine 2 because I have a feeling every scene is going to be Ted jumping away from an explosion.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score

While I like a lot of wrestler movies...mainly in the..they are so bad they entertain me for the simpleness type of way. But here are a few of my favorites.

71WWNNKRWBL._SL500_AA280_.gif

suburban-commando-1991.jpg

they_live.jpg

shutter.jpg

santas_slay_amazing.jpg

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

THEY LIVE is fucking great. It's such an awesome horror/sci-fi film. I'd watch it in a marathon with ALIEN NATION and ENEMY MINE.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

Hogan's wife in the Thunder in Paradise pilot was such a babe. I was looking forward to seeing more of her. Then second episode and it's like, "Spencer's wife was a great girl. How'd she die?" and I was all LOLWHAT?

In typical boneheaded fashion, the pre-UPN WWOR channel 9 aired TiP head-to-head with Raw. That was some bullshit.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

I've actually never seen Shutterspeed but have always wanted to. I think it only aired once and that was following a Nitro in 2000. I remember back in 8th grade, my buddy who was a huge Sting mark told me he loved it but I missed out.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score

The Nostalgia Critic recently did a review on Suburban Commando.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score

Yeah, I actually thought the birth of this thread was from me mentioning that over in Rasslin.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yeah Shutterspeed was apparently a pilot for a tv show, so it's been impossible for me to find a copy of it, or even a download for it. I saw a small part of it when it came out, but had to miss the rest and never saw the one replay they did. I have managed to see a vhs copy of it at a friends house, and enjoyed it. If I didn't hate VHS, I'd just ask him for a copy.

Mr. Nanny is another classic Hogan movie. Of course No Holds Barred is a good movie to watch if you want unintentional comedy.

atticus Chaos

Reaction score

I think WWE Films is slowly getting better. At least with their theatrical releases. See No Evil and The Marine were terrible. The Condemned was much better, and 12 Rounds was a perfectly adequate action movie (even if it did seem like something from the 1990s.)

Continually putting John Cena in their movies is a mistake, though. For whatever reason, his charisma doesn't translate onto a movie screen and he comes off as incredibly generic and bland. Austin's a better actor because you can kind of see glimpses of his wrestling charisma when he acts.

Stacy Keibler's another example: she was really something special in wrestling and always stood out, but her acting career never went anywhere because she's just another generic hot chick (she's not a terrible actress, but she's not great either).

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The Buzz said:

This movie is fucking funny and in an intentionally hilarious way too. Total B-horror comedy with a great sense of humor about itself. I actually own this.

And They Live was a legit awesome movie last time I remembered seeing it.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score

I remember being so frustrated in that fight that Roddy Piper had with Keith David. Why didnt he just put on the glasses? What's the worst that could happen?

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score

I also agreed with NC's take that the neighbourhood tough guys were legitimately the funniest characters in the movie.

"It's the 90s - we're gonna sue ya!"

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score

How could one forgot the 80's classic "Body Slam"? Come on man, ROCK AND WRESTLING!

spman

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I'm still dying to one day get a No Holds Barred DVD with commentary from Vince, Hogan, and Zeus

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

The next WWE film will be a straight-to-DVD built around Big Show, who will essentially play the giant version of the role Jack Black played in “Nacho Libre,” (a wrestler who does so to make money to support all the kids at the orphanage).

- WON

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score

2GOLD said:
How could one forgot the 80's classic "Body Slam"? Come on man, ROCK AND WRESTLING!

I saw that on TV sometime this decade (let's say around 2002 or so... I think it was on Spike when Spike was still 'The New TNN') and thought it was awesome. It just seemed so random to have this farce with King Tonga and Piper being different people, then they have a scene where NWA Champion Ric Flair is in the house.

Hey Gogo Gatdget Chaos, can you edit the thread title to remove "appalling". I feel bad talking about classics like "Body Slam" in here.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I just watched Bodyslam a week or two ago in YouTube! Fun, cheesy '80s movie. It had a Rocky IV number of montages there. You can't get more tacky than the wrestling talk show scenes. Charles Nelson Reilly! A cussing Billy Barty! Captain Lou hollering!

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

Kurrgan has a budding acting career, he had a part in "300" and he pops up in "Sherlock Holmes" coming out later this year.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score

To me, the greatest audience moment at the first Dark Knight screening I went to was a little kid who obviously wasn't even born in 1989 saying "Zeus!" when Lister appeared on screen. The pencil trick was second.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

51RKJWTF09L._SS500_.jpg

The only Santo DVD I own at this point. I know they're all really bad, but this one, specifically, is just so boring. It doesn't even have that "so bad it's good" factor.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Don't forget Nathan Jones making a film career out of getting beaten up by small Asian men and jobbing to Brad Pitt in 5 seconds.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

Hey, "Ong Bak" is awesome thank you very much.