Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
IRS Abdominal Stretch said:
I stopped listening to Schiavone's podcast months ago. I can't stand Conrad and his sense of humor is awful. It feels like a shitty shock jock radio show with all the trying to hard to be edgy jokes and the MST 3000/Rifftrax format doesn't work for three hour ppvs.

Conrad: Look who we have here, Brutus "The Fucking" Barber Beefcake. That's a great idea for a shirt.

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/whw
What a great selection of crap.

The podcast has 5 million shirts and none of them have drawn a dime.

By the way, Bill Apter has a podcast now. It's called The Apter Chat and his first guest is the biggest name in pro wrestling till he was outed as a racist, Hulk Hogan.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
83 Weeks finally covered Starrcade '97; which was pretty much the most important thing for Bischoff to cover.

First, it was unreal how much gate and merchandise money WCW was making around this time. Second I think EB is very much like Greg Anderson to Hulk Hogan's Barry Bonds. Totally sat on the grenade for much of he controversial stuff. I think Conrad was actually very fair in raking EB through the coals.

Hogan is easily EB's biggest blind spot. He is such a mark for Hogan and he can say they are such great friends, but even as he tries to tip toe around not being involved in the finishes, he pretty much acknowledges how they changed the finish during the day and can't really dispute Nick Patrick's version of the events of the day.

Great podcast, and I wish Conrad would have asked one or two more questions regarding the six man tag and the Sting-Hogan match.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I've probably mentioned I mainly listen to Prichard and Edge and Christian and if I am caught up, I sprinkle in Bischoff with the occasional Schiavone if it isn't a watch along. I listen during my long commute so even Prichard, I haven't done any of the several watch alongs.

I was pretty burnt out on Bischoff so I decided to try out the Major Wrestling Figures podcast, which is the newish podcast that Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins do about their love of WWE toys. I had been Zack Ryder since his ECW run and loved when he did Z! True Long Island story, so I figured I'd listen. They talk a lot about the WWE toys that I grew up on and I collect stuff from the current line as display pieces here and there because they at times makes some really unique and cool stuff.

The show is actually better than I expected. They are complete dorks but the podcasts are short and it has a mix of some the nostalgia of the toys while they also go on some tangents with some behind the scenes junk too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
KingPK said:
I've kinda fell off Schiavone's podcast because I've become one of those people who think Conrad is a fucking dingus. Plus, the whole "Rifftrax a PPV" format can be hit or miss with them struggling to fill the time and going off on uninteresting tangents.

This week's Clash ep is worth it for around the 55 min mark where Conrad tells of how he and Bruce had recently been to a Colorado show where their ride was a former indy geek who was a "dick dancer". The driver got drunk later on and proceeded to tell them about how he sexual dominated an old man after the dude offered him enough money.

/Wrasslin!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I listen to the Hawkins and Ryder podcast. They both can be annoying and overbearing at times but I usually am entertained in some way. This week there are frequent interruptions by a seemingly drunk Heath Slater and I am more amused than usual

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Haven’t seen it mentioned here yet but Conrad Thompson announced he is starting a podcast with Arn Anderson this fall. So every weekday will have a Conrad podcast at that point.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, Arn is not someone I would expect for this so I may try it out of curiosity.

I had to take a break from the Conrad podcasts for a while after getting sick of Bischoff and Bruce. I never listen to Schiavone because it is almost all watch along and I never do the watch along, I listen on my commute.

JR is okay because he isn’t as much of a phony as the others. It has its moments. I’ve eased back into Bruce but I don’t know if I can go back to the Bischoff one. That’s the one that feels the most useless and has the least amount of gems whether content or entertainment.

I will say I’m about half an hour into the Harley Race tribute from JR that got released today and there are some good things already, particularly the disguised voice story.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gotta mention Jaxl is literally working on a bunch of these podcasts. Local boy makes good.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't start the JR podcast until last month. It actually isn't too bad because Conrad can reign him in if he gets too negative. I also admire JR for his honesty about when Vince & crew hurt his feelings.

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
Yeah, Arn is not someone I would expect for this so I may try it out of curiosity.

I had to take a break from the Conrad podcasts for a while after getting sick of Bischoff and Bruce. I never listen to Schiavone because it is almost all watch along and I never do the watch along, I listen on my commute.

JR is okay because he isn’t as much of a phony as the others. It has its moments. I’ve eased back into Bruce but I don’t know if I can go back to the Bischoff one. That’s the one that feels the most useless and has the least amount of gems whether content or entertainment.

I will say I’m about half an hour into the Harley Race tribute from JR that got released today and there are some good things already, particularly the disguised voice story.

That's what I like about J.R.'s podcast with Conrad. J.R. is the only one of Conrad's co-hosts that don't come off like a bullshitter or spend half the time whining about Meltzer. (Although to be fair, I still haven't listened to the Schiavone one yet.)

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Schiavone isn't much of a bullshitter, he's actually really self-deprecating but he absolutely spends 5-10 minutes of any given podcast bitching about Meltzer.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I actually didn't enjoy JR's Harley episode compared to most weeks. He and Race only crossed over for 2 years or so in WCW, so there wasn't much for personal stories. It felt like Conrad reading Race's wiki and JR saying things. I can't recall off hand the story but there was one JR comment that was clearly him just BSing when the actual story was fairly well known.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I agree with that, Brody. I just don’t have a ton of history on Race myself so I enjoyed the stories like the rub-ins with the cops or the robbery at the restaurant.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Immortal-Hulk-Hogan

Just hearing what Hogan's body has gone through just at 66 years old to start the podcast is pretty harrowing stuff. One of those things that we see these sports athletes/wrestlers at 20-40 years old and then hearing about the aftermath of the physical toll :(

stevejrogers

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone following the Dinner With The King fiasco?

I was lapsed on the pod and changed my device that I subscribe to the RSS to late last month and had issues downloading recent episodes. In fact the hosting site PodAvenue doesn’t even exist anymore!

I sent a Twitter DM to Lawler’s co-host through the pod’s account about all of this and got no response, and wondered WTF happened.

And OOOOOHHHH BOY what a shit show it turned out to be once I did a little digging.

Turns out the co-host, Glenn Moore, was selling Lawler memorabilia (mostly shirts and commissioned artwork) for high-end prices without King’s consent or knowledge. And more importantly stiffing buyers of the products complete with endless runaround style back-and-forth conversations about shipping and such, including a charity organization.

Things get murky timeline wise about when King found out, or how deep things were as one interview King said he fired Moore back in December but the pod was active through March, and Moore was still hawking stuff on the show’s behalf through June. Then in early July news started breaking, Lawler made the rounds that included local (Memphis) TV news.

At that point Moore went radio silence/off the grid and hasn’t been heard from since (usually tweeted about wrestling and Cleveland sports)!

Interestingly, in mid-July Lawler made social media posts saying he’d try to make everything right with those whom Moore had scammed, but according to articles floating around a few weeks ago Lawler has been silent on the subject since!

Granted its been suggested that its for the best that Lawler not get into more legal controversies while his lawsuit over Brian Christopher’s death hasn’t been resolved yet, but it is strange that King has been completely silent on the issue for over a month since saying he’d work with those that were scammed, including the charity organization.

Anyway, certainly a bizarre way for a podcast to “podfade*”

*Term for a podcast that ceases production without any notice or warning from the host (whether its an actual farewell episode, or a social media posting, etc).

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s not the first time Glenn Moore has gotten into hot water. I don’t remember the particulars, but he was previously a sportswriter with cleveland.com, and I don’t think that ended amicably either. Plagiarizing, if I recall correctly.

stevejrogers

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tino Standard said:
Yeah, that’s not the first time Glenn Moore has gotten into hot water. I don’t remember the particulars, but he was previously a sportswriter with cleveland.com, and I don’t think that ended amicably either. Plagiarizing, if I recall correctly.

Speaking of scummy, PodAvenue was shuttered, which like I hadn’t listened since...actually right around Brian’s death I think. Been meaning to, but a lot of things going on, and so many pods to listen to. And I just chalked no episodes since May up to a busy early summer, or whatever, for one or both.

BUT, their Patreon is STILL ACTIVE! That’s scummy! Granted when I quit last night there were just two others, so I’ll assume they were in the same boat as I am, didn’t realize that shit had gone down. I probably should, and just might report it to Patreon, but there are other “creators” that are still active, even though the non-Patreon part of their project is completed, and I gather there is no way to get a hold of a creator whom had gone radio silent since June.

But still...couldn’t hurt to try.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was intrigued by the CM Punk episode of JR's show that dropped yesterday. Haven't quite finished it yet but I'd have to say this was my least favorite episode of Grillin' JR yet. Don't think he said anything of substance and to his credit, unlike all of Conrad's other hosts who would lie and make stuff up, JR mostly just speculates and doesn't say anything new, of substance or interesting. Felt like I was hearing the same thing over and over again to the point I actually stopped where I left off from yesterday, listened to some of my stuff that got released today, and have to go back to finish the rest of this.

I looked back through the archive because I feel like this will be the trend in any of the biography style shows with JR. He is probably better off sticking to event specific shows unless it is someone he would have more personal stories with, like Dusty.

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
I was intrigued by the CM Punk episode of JR's show that dropped yesterday. Haven't quite finished it yet but I'd have to say this was my least favorite episode of Grillin' JR yet. Don't think he said anything of substance and to his credit, unlike all of Conrad's other hosts who would lie and make stuff up, JR mostly just speculates and doesn't say anything new, of substance or interesting. Felt like I was hearing the same thing over and over again to the point I actually stopped where I left off from yesterday, listened to some of my stuff that got released today, and have to go back to finish the rest of this.

I looked back through the archive because I feel like this will be the trend in any of the biography style shows with JR. He is probably better off sticking to event specific shows unless it is someone he would have more personal stories with, like Dusty.

Yeah, it was kinda of a meh episode, but I did get a laugh out of the revelation that Triple H thought Punk had a fat ass.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Kamala Has Delaney Fever said:
In news that will only excite Baby Shoes, Wes Brisco is gonna have a podcast.

OfYGY.gif

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I'm curious to try Arn's show but I have very little expectations.

I also never did podcasts before really starting with Prichard's in late 2017. I've found with the wrestling podcasts that I just get irritated and burned out by most of them. I had a stretch where I couldn't listen to the Conrad podcasts anymore when it was Prichard and Bischoff (I never really listen to Schiavone since they turned to full watch alongs seeing those are like the only ones of Bruce I've never done). I never got back to Bischoff because he usually frustrates me and never says anything new or interesting. Even with Bruce's nonsense there is an interesting nugget here and there. Whether it is true or not is another story.

I had enjoyed Hawkins and Ryder but they can get irritating at times. This week's was really bad because they let the indy guy that works on Hawkins' school promotion that does their editing and stuff on and he was awful. He hadn't really bothered me the times he's popped in here and there but he was super obnoxious when they had him on the whole show and kinda came across as the guy that has let the success of the show as I know they are now paying him which I think may be replacing his day job since they went all in on Patreon and all the merch stuff their fans tend to buy.

Maybe it is just listening to these people so much without anyone really trained on programming but it is just the same draining repetitive stuff. JR is usually the least offensive but I usually roll my eyes or swear in the car when he starts doing his little "thimble balls" thing.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I loved Colt Cabana's because it was simple. Intro, short ads, full interview. And typically it only ran an hour. All these wrestling podcasts that are all 2+ hours and all hosted by Conrad Thompson with the same format, ad breaks, etc. are tiresome.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/StarrcastEvents/status/1179014457982377985
Between this and Van Hammer & Robocop being announced, is this the Worst of WCW themed Starracast?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If the Ding Dong gimmick happened now, they'd be super over meme guys.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With Conrad's penchant for finding the most obscure WCW guys, I bet the US military wishes he had been there when they were looking for Osama back in '00s.

"hey Osama whatsgoingonmanHOWAREYOU!?"

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I always enjoy when wrestlers look back at matches and Austin's a great talker. Here he is discussing WrestleMania 19 with some interesting background e.g. his doctor technically wouldn't clear him the day of WM.