Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Seemed like Arn’s show was running out of steam quickly. Even with every other week being a Q&A. Not shocked they did a reboot. He’s got good stories, but he it feels like he’s already told most of them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More signs of changing times in the AFS Universe after years of sticking to format/formula and not doing interviews, we get our 2nd interview in the past month-ish with Scott Hall being interviewed on 83 Weeks this week.

I get there's only a finite amount of WCW (and AWA) content you can discuss before all your left with is Hogan era TNA shows that only I want to listen to but it's hard not to feel like everyone recognizes that Conrad's focus is on Jeff Jarrett (for whatever reason) and it's fine to go on cruise control.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Double J was a huge part of the first Starrcast behind the scenes. He was Connie's right hand man the whole time. The first two people I saw when I walked into the hotel where Jeff and Karen.

I think his relationship is Jeff is pretty strong. I'm guessing that is why he seems so into ol Double J.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jon Moxley is guest hosting Oral Sessions for the next episode or two while Renee is delivering their baby.

Life is strange.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Stunned Brian Last and Corny didn't know who Andre mega collector Chris Owens is. Owens has been active online for a LONG time sharing info and pics, plus he sold a Cpu CD many moons ago where he compiled Andre's record book, pics etc. Last and Corny half ass bury him as a WWF mark since he didn't have the deep archive of stuff from everywhere like them and others.
Owens has Andre's fricking X-rays he bought from the family! Com'n Corny, just because he doesn't have a show program that happened in front of 3000 hillbillies at the Bumfuck County Feed Mill in 1972 doesn't mean he's not legit!!
--
The Andre talk reminded me of the Weekly World News doing an article plugging Hulk Hogan's feud with Andre's son as WCW headed towards Halloween Havoc 95. Hopefully I have that saved in ,my scrapbook.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well...that was mostly a waste of 2 hours. Conrad forgot Eric taught him "context is king" as he and JR belly ache that new top heel VADER didn't eat a DDT pin loss to old man Jake the Snake. Vader was about to headline the next 2 PPVs!
They also follow the company line that Austin was "the man" after this show. Never mind that he was kept in the midcard and off the Summerslam PPV before Bret came back and picked him as his opponent.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
In Foley's book he mentions how in the WWF Fall 1996 merchandise magazine they had like 50 different Mark Henry items. Mark Henry shirts, mugs, cups, posters etc... Stone Cold walked by and joking said, "you got anything for old stone cold", and the merchandise man was embarrassed when he had it to say no. They didn't have 1 merchandise item planned for Austin in the early fall of 1996. That is how much he was "the man" in the fall of 96, much less June. Without Bret Austin would've been The Stalker.

Sometimes I think VKM is the luckiest moron who ever lived.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Look, we can’t stay mad at JR forever.

Last edited:

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JR and Conrad did some damage control from JR's AEW/WWE flub. Then later in the pod Conrad tosses up "Here's Black Blood, JR, tell everyone who is under the goofy gimmick..." or somesuch and JR says "I don't know". Conrad says "Sure you do" JR "Well, then I forgot". It seemed JR did watch the PPV for the review, but maybe his "review" was just platitudes he tossed out to BS around for 2 hours. "Cash and Creative" "Good hand" etc.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JR and Conrad did some damage control from JR's AEW/WWE flub. Then later in the pod Conrad tosses up "Here's Black Blood, JR, tell everyone who is under the goofy gimmick..." or somesuch and JR says "I don't know". Conrad says "Sure you do" JR "Well, then I forgot". It seemed JR did watch the PPV for the review, but maybe his "review" was just platitudes he tossed out to BS around for 2 hours. "Cash and Creative" "Good hand" etc.
I was listening to the Superbrawl 91 episode and he said he didn't watch the show iirc. He was extra grumpy, because the Windham/Pillman Taped Fist match seems like something he would love if he actually watched the show, and he was really down on it because "too many gimmicks". If he's not going to watch some of the shows why do a podcast.

At least Bischoff watches the shows on the episodes I've listened too and seems into most of them before Russo took over. Maybe Bisch is too into them. He just called Mongo vs Alex Wright from Halloween Havoc 97 a great match.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to listen to Kurt Angle's podcast. Pleasantly forgettable is probably the best way to describe. It is v. annoying that it's half the length of Conrad's other podcasts and has as many if not more ads than the other AFS content.

Unlike the other AFS hosts, Angle doesn't seem to be doing this at a career low point (like the old guys) or wants to set the record straight and have people reassess his career (like Jarrett) so he seems less incentivized to be off the cuff and controversial. It seems like Angle just realized that Conrad's podcasts are popular and it could be a good way to plug his health food business. It has the vibe of an impersonal shoot interview more than the other AFS shows. I am retroactively getting into a lot of '00s wrestling since I missed a lot of it first hand so I will probably tune in again since Angle is moderately entertaining to if a bit space cadet-y.

Still haven't and have no plans to listen to Arn's as even Conrad has kind of implied that's the most boring one.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I listened the Kurt Invasion episode yesterday and there was a legit a 3 minute ad, 3 minutes of show, then another 3 minute ad.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JR is doing InVasion this week too. Which I get it's one of the more important WWE shows of all time but I don't remember two different AFS covering the same PPV within a week or so before. It just seems like another of my little signs of burnout/diminishing returns.

Mostly I'm just bitter that the Kurt Angle Show has been on for like 20-30 episodes and they haven't done a single one on his TNA/Impact run but in Connie's defense, Angle probably has no recollection of most of those years!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
This isn’t the first time Conrad has doubled up for his shows. Like where the same subject is days or a week at most apart on different show. I guess to only watch something once, and get a twofer on research.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In news just slightly less devastating to me than the Wyatt release, Brian Last has canceled John Arezzi's Pro Wrestling Spotlight Then & Now (as well as Ron Fuller's Studcast). How am I going to hear about the parking situation at Nassau Coliseum in 1991? :(

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
The Conrad shows were nothing but Q&A this week.

Sounds like Corny is going to obviously be a Bobby Eaton show for the next installment. I’m sure that one will be worth a listen.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In news just slightly less devastating to me than the Wyatt release, Brian Last has canceled John Arezzi's Pro Wrestling Spotlight Then & Now (as well as Ron Fuller's Studcast). How am I going to hear about the parking situation at Nassau Coliseum in 1991? :(
I looked up the Studcast Patreon after it was "canceled" and it was at like 300 bucks a month (IIRC) so assuming Last is getting a piece of that, I figured it wasn't worth what little money to him to keep the show under him. (Maybe Ron had other issues behind the scenes???) I'm guessing Last edits all of his own shows since he litterally has no day job thanks to inheriting and investing well.
I think I only listened to one or 2 of Fuller's casts. I know I listened to an early episode about working in the riotous Puerto Rico area (IIRC) where his story of the riot sounded exaggerated, as one would expect from an ol' wrassler.

Twitter activity indicated Conrad might use Arezzi in some form. I only listened to a few of his shows when Last would plug an intriguing thing (like Arezzi faking his way into a role as a WWWF jobber for one taping. (I hope I have the right host in mind).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Grillin' JR is on Terry Taylor this week.

Conrad says it's one of their most surprisingly requested episodes ever...

Also there's no chance that they address Terry Taylor being one of the most notorious racists behind the scenes (if they do, JR will probably brush it off with a "Well, heh heh. Connie, I guess times were different then)