Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Racism in wrestling (but mostly WWE) thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Posting this here cause there's not a "Encourage Others NOT to Get Wrestling Merch Zone" thread.

HOW COULD WWE MARKETING THINK THIS SHIRT WAS A GOOD IDEA IN 2019!?

I can totally imagine Vince grousing "Well, pal. When did the term 'watermelon smile' become politically incorrect?" backstage.

gV6lUKd.gif

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Re: WWE is a racist company

Foreign Agent Kamala said:
https://twitter.com/GoGoMyles/status/1188297337392828417
Posting this here cause there's not a "Encourage Others NOT to Get Wrestling Merch Zone" thread.

HOW COULD WWE MARKETING THINK THIS SHIRT WAS A GOOD IDEA IN 2019!?

I can totally imagine Vince grousing "Well, pal. When did the term 'watermelon smile' become politically incorrect?" backstage.

gV6lUKd.gif

This is the same company that has had horrible representation in their World Title picture, New Day and Killings are modern day minstrel acts, HHH vs Booker T, and so much more. It's really not surprising that they let this one slip by.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

Bruce Mitchell had a take a couple of years ago that the pancake gimmick was a throwback to black sambo stereotypes. Let me find it.

He just retweeted it today! https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/02/16/mitchell-bruce-mitchells-black-history-month-new-day-pancakes/

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

New Day being a minstrel act is a molten hot take.

They're incredibly popular, and incredibly talented, but they were created to be a singing, dancing act to appease and entertain Vince McMahon.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I didn't know Little Black Sambo ate pancakes bit. I'll temper my criticism of the New Day being racist accusation a bit. I definitely the genesis of their gimmick (especially their pre debut vignettes with the gospel choir) were racist but I think they've transcended that.

When you were talking on Twitter about WWE having two minstrel acts, BBBD, I assumed you were referring to Street Profits and R-Truth so maybe three racist acts?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

I didn't know Little Black Sambo ate pancakes bit. I'll temper my criticism of the New Day being racist accusation a bit. I definitely the genesis of their gimmick (especially their pre debut vignettes with the gospel choir) were racist but I think they've transcended that.

When you were talking on Twitter about WWE having two minstrel acts, BBBD, I assumed you were referring to Street Profits and R-Truth so maybe three racist acts?

My dislike of the Street Profit gimmick is totally different from this. It's more of a personal dislike (nothing against the guys in the team, just the gimmick), so I didn't even think of them in this light.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Personal opinions on them aside, objectively speaking, Street Profits' gimmick is a marginally toned down version of Cryme Tyme, which was a totally effin racist gimmick.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1188656864126332929

Oh boy.

Staff member
Reaction score

Becky Lynch doesn't know all the merch she has according to her. I do not believe them.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score

It's best to take everything they say with a grain of salt, but there's a huge difference between ACH in NXT who literally has one t-shirt and Becky Lynch who's one of the top pushed stars, WM main eventer, video game cover and probably in Austin/Cena merch territory at this point where they'll slap her face or catchphrases on anything they can sell. She probably has hundreds of pieces of merch at any given time. I'm sure she's got a teddy bear and pajamas and halloween costumes and everything else

Honestly, he has nothing to lose here really by going public with this, but I'm not sure what he has to gain. WWE loves to passive aggressively fuck with people for things like this. If they give him a bigger push it's almost like he blackmailed them for it. And if he's trying to get out of his contract and go to AEW, they're definitely not gonna release him and get the bad press

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

There were a bunch of NXT wrestlers surprised with their first shirt when they had that massive drop a month back. All the designs looked dreadful and plain, so should we believe that the wrestlers, who didn't know the shirt were coming out, all collaborated on those plain as fuck designs? Or was it just him that did?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Amy pats fan said:
Honestly, he has nothing to lose here really by going public with this, but I'm not sure what he has to gain.
He's not doing this to "gain" anything. He's calling it out cause it's the right thing to do. He'd probably want to effin kill himself if he decided he could live with that t-shirt being out there. He's doing it despite the fact that I'm sure he knows that it's likely to have negative consequences.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I don't buy the person who designed the shirt's explanation either. as others mentioned, I've heard top workers talk about how they have little to no input on their merch. How am I supposed to believe that some NXT midcarder, who I quite honestly forgot was on WWE's roster until this weekend, was working closely to help design that shirt? What a bunch of garbage.

It'd be nice if SOMEONE anyone else on the WWE roster stood up with ACH against this bullcrap but so far, I'm just seeing indie people.

GCW announced an all POC show during WrestleMania Week though this weekend too so I guess take the good with the bad.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Cedric Alexander changed his twitter av to black and white and tweeted the hashtag ACH has been using

https://twitter.com/CedricAlexander/status/1188516303792955392

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Speaking of representation, you’d be surprised at how many people in the largely white pro wrestling media will have to Google what blackface is amid this controversy. Of course, their limited ability (and fear) to understand the nuances of racism and hold WWE accountable for its tone deafness has been part of the problem for decades.

subtle jab at meltz

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2019/10/28/nxts-jordan-myles-lashes-out-at-wwe-for-blackface-adjacent-t-shirt/#6cd3a71153a9

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I always felt Dave Meltzer was kind of anti black but I'm not sure why. Only thing a Google Search about Dave Meltzer being racist showed me was him defending Ric Flair from accusations of racism.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

:eek: :eek: :eek: at the Jay Lethal Uncle Tom dig.

This ACH saga maybe should gets its own thread at this point. What say you, mods?

https://twitter.com/GoGoMyles/status/1188829526727577605
https://twitter.com/GoGoMyles/status/1188830062570823680

At the very, very least, I think the lying WWE Shopzone dude should get canned ASAP.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Goddamn that Jay Lethal tweet. That's fucked up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Oh Jesus. I might have to take back my New Day is not a minstrel act argument now.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1188660781027602432

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS AN OK IDEA!?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

New thread plz (or at least let's resurrected the "Racism in Wrestling" thread).

Staff member
Reaction score

Took a long time for ACH to get over with me but it has finally happened.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I think it has more to do with WWE merchandising employees being absolutely clueless and out of touch than it does to any type of intentional racism. But this isn't the type of stuff that a billion dollar corporation should let slip through. Could you imagine the NFL or MLB releasing this type of stuff?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score

AA484 said:
Could you imagine the NFL or MLB releasing this type of stuff?

s-l1600.jpg

chief_wahoo.jpg

Nah, it would never happen. (At least MLB got rid of theirs. Or are going to? Not sure)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Indians removed Chief Wahoo from their logo this season but I think you can still buy hats with the logo in their team store. Cause they don't want to lose the racist dipshit market.

Anyway, I can't believe the guy who loves wearing vaguely Nazi iconography (and won the World Title Match at WrestleMania XIX) was so duplicitous to ACH.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Ha, good point, Kamala. I guess release as *new* merchandise, not grandfathered racist merchandise.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

I couldn't find anything in MLBshop for Chief Wahoo. I'm sure it exists somewhere, but MLB essentially gave the All Star game to Cleveland in exchange for the Indians dropping the logo.