Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWE Network stuff

JN News

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm watching WrestleMania 4, and I could swear that the Butch Reed dub theme was taken down, and the "Jive Soul Bro" song was reinstated.

Also, we got some more Mid-South Wrestling stuff in the Vault.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They've been adding stuff to their Hidden Gems collection like Vader beating Ron Simmons to win back the WCW title, Harley Race vs David Von Erich in a 2/3 Falls match from 1977, a Piper vs Valentine match from July 1983, a Legends Battle Royal from November 1987, Mean Mark Callous vs Jerry Lawler, and Eddie vs Liger from WCW Main Event in 1995 among other things.

I guess they are going to start adding new hidden gems every week from now on as well.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That Piper/Valentine match is fantastic and I'd go around **** 1/4 on it. It was intense as hell, full of hatred, and felt like like a chaotic fight. Lacks the epic feel and story with the damaged ear of the Dog Collar Match, but they had incredible chemistry.

The legends battle royal was a fun curiosity. It was in WWF country so Chief Jay Strongbow, Bobo Brazil, Pedro Morales, Arnold Skaaland, and Baron Mikel Scicluna get huge pops while Gene Kiniski, The Crusher, Pat O'Connor, and Lou Thesz get crickets. Bobo had the body type and mobility of mid 90's Baba, but still had a ton of charisma. Ray Stevens and Killer Kowalski took some nutty old man bumps. I was entertained throughout for the novelty at least.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JN News said:
I'm watching WrestleMania 4, and I could swear that the Butch Reed dub theme was taken down, and the "Jive Soul Bro" song was reinstated.

I just watched it two days ago and Jive Soul Bro was there. Rick Rude's theme was not.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
How the hell did they lose the rights to Rude's theme? Also it's been pissing me off that Hillbilly Jim's/Godwin's theme has been overdubbed since the Network debuted.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you need a Rude theme fix, go to the Raw in 1997 when DX beats up Whippleman when he comes out as Rude. Sadly I was excited to think someone wasn't paying attention and it got through the system...

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Future Stars said:
That Piper/Valentine match is fantastic and I'd go around **** 1/4 on it. It was intense as hell, full of hatred, and felt like like a chaotic fight. Lacks the epic feel and story with the damaged ear of the Dog Collar Match, but they had incredible chemistry.

I need more Piper/Valentine matches in my life after watching this one; it's so good.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Early 80s Piper is just golden, and I always liked Valentine more than most.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

WWE must have this 1983 TV stuff on file, it would make great Hidden Gems material in full just because it would show multiple territorial legends in each hour.

- Hulk Hogan, Jim Brunzell, & Greg Gagne defeated Ken Patera, Jesse Ventura, & Bobby Heenan when Hogan pinned Heenan with the legdrop (AWA - 3/13/83; St. Paul, MN)
- North American Heavyweight Champion Butch Reed pinned Magnum TA with a clothesline (Mid-South - 7/27/83; Shreveport, LA)
- Ron Bass makes an early appearance (via Florida) which seems a little goofy except he was a top guy there and depending on the exact time frame may have been the lead heel when this aired. He had been a Rhodes buddy and turned.
- Kevin VE, Jimmy Garvin, Dr D, Rotundo (Florida), Steamboat and Youngblood, David VE, Mike Graham, Krusher (Barry) Darsow, Freebirds, Neidhart
-Jim Duggan vs Reed
- JYD vs Big Boris Zuhkov (in Mid-South he was an American turncoat, other areas he was just Russian born)
- TIGER MASK vs Mr. Saito~!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!
- Los Medicos (via WWC)... that one I'll have to explore

It looks like once 1984 hit and Vince attacked the NWA's St Louis "strong hold" and gobbled up Verne's A-team in one swoop, that Florida was the only area that still sent tapes in.

-

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWE was promising to upload another slate of episodes of Prime Time Wrestling this month and it's 7 random episodes from '90-'92.

Network is slippin', boys.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah they are barely putting effort in the Network anymore. At least for old content. They were killing it like two years ago with some of the Hidden Gems they were unearthing. I mean for the love of god put up some more Saturday Night.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
How far back does their tape archive go? I want all of it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There are a few shows from when they taped their TV in Washington DC from the ‘60s before they moved to Northeast Pennsylvania

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's no reason that they can't do a massive dump of various footage 2 to 3 times per month. WE WANT CENTRAL STATES SO WE CAN ALL EXPERIENCE THE BULLDOG BOB BROWN PROMOTION ACE RUN IN REAL TIME.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Most, if not all, of that stuff needs to be digitized before it falls apart. Throw it all up after the most profitable year in history.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I think the episodes of Prime Time they uploaded were just the ones they had previously digitized for 24/7. I know I remember watching the Christmas 1990 episode on there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm worried about a lot of the old territory stuff. I think they probably watch the WWF stuff like a hawk because they do know there's people more likely to spend the money to watch WWF's Hottest Matches with Sean Mooney than Mike Graham vs Ron Bass or something. The Brody Boomers.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A Rumble 2014 (2015 too) retrospective would be interesting, but I can't see them being honest about how much they screwed up in those matches. 2014 didn't fuck up things too much in the long run, but the 2015 Rumble especially was booked to piss the crowd off.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing @Brocklock . I remember 2014 from wondering if the rumors about still wrestling Corey Graves was going to debut in his hometown of Pittsburgh (he had been off of TV due which was when he was no longer cleared but that wasn’t known online yet) and everyone expecting Bryan in the last spot that went to Rey and Mysterio being booed.

2015 I remember watching with some friends in complete disbelief. One of the biggest troll jobs they’ve ever done and completely intentional.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brocklock is dead on. I'd love to see some behind the scenes commentary on the 14/15 rumbles. There's so much to tell there but like you said they probably don't want to tell those stories.

Probably in the minority but in some way 2014 is worse. If they tell the story correctly in 2014 maybe people aren't pissed in 2015

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
First 13 episodes of Wrestling Challenge from 1986 are being uploaded later this months.

(Cue synchronized low pitched moaning from @BruiserBrody and @JN News )
They're finally uploading Wrestling Challenge? Does that mean we'll finally get old Superstars too? I know they still have the trademark issues over "Superstars of Wrestling".

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WrestleMania XXIV is off the Network indefinitely due to a lawsuit over royalties from theme song Floyd Mayweather.

Good thing I have the DVD so I have somewhere to go when I want to watch JBL throw a trash can at Hornswoggle’s head.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
They’ve actually been churning out a fair amount of content that I want to watch but I keep falling behind on it. I heard some pretty good stuff on the new AJ Styles Untold.