Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWE Raw - April 13, 2009: 3 Hour Draft Edition

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Ok, so, we know with people cross appearing all the time this isn't that big a deal, but the draft shows are usually pretty fun and at the very least create new storylines (plus it will give some structure to what a person's main show is once all the Mania time cross-show work is done).

Let's look back at some relevant draft happenings over the past few years:

- An awesome "Random Select" roster generator is invented for the draft shows.

- Bob Lashley is drafted from ECW to Raw, Vince and Coach heel out on him and say he can't bring his ECW title with him, Johnny Nitro wins the belt in a tournament en route to becoming new sensation John Morrison.

- Chris Benoit is drafted from the 4 Horsemen to Raw. Good results do not follow.

- HHH and Jim Ross are drafted to SmackDown in an attempt to make the show the gem of MyNetwork TV. The show does 5000x the ratings any other MNTV show but since no one cares about MNTV, it's still 12 trillionth overall.

- Michael Cole begins calling the action for Raw. To this day, I still cannot get used to his voice welcoming me to Monday Night Raw. Cole also begins to say odd things, such as commenting on Rey Mysterio's "swashbuckling offense" or the fact Rey is "a magician". He enjoys calling things "Vintage". He manages to become completely reviled by fans, but then makes fun of himself on WWE.com and wins some back.

- Brian Kendrick and Paul London were split up by the Supplemental Draft. London went on to wear running shoes and not shave his legs, looking like a complete goof of a big leaguer when playing a role (though very small) in the feud of the year. He was quickly future endeavoured after that. Brian Kendrick became The Brian Kendrick, got a shot at the WWE Title in a Scramble match at Unforgiven, then refused to take the advice of road agents and got de-pushed. He should probably not answer his phone this spring.

- CM Punk is drafted to Raw from ECW (before ECW talent could appear wherever they felt like). The move is criticized by some Observers (wink) as it is felt Punk would now be a small fish in a big pond, but he ends up becoming World Champion a week later.

Joey Styles announced that there will be 12 televised changes happening followed by a Supplementary Draft on Wednesday. What lasting moments or big changes will the 2009 draft bring? Well, tune in at 8pm eastern (9pm Canadian - no countdown show this week) to find out!

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Small nitpick, Benoit was drafted to ECW, not Raw.

I wonder if there will be another battle royal to determine picks. I love me some battle royals.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Alfdogg said:

I wonder if there will be another battle royal to determine picks. I love me some battle royals.

He also wasn't drafted from the 4 Horsemen.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
He was briefly involved in the Jericho/HBK feud, but his involvement was getting squashed by Jericho. It was said squash match that London was noticeably not caring about his appearance and I've just assumed it was a key factor in his release.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alfdogg said:

I too hope for possibly a 15 person Battle Royal, with five guys wearing the colours of their brand. Randy Orton eliminates Triple H to win the Battle Royal, and ends up drafting Triple H to Raw.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm hoping some huge star (like a Cena, or HHH, or UT, or the like) gets drafted to ECW just to reinforce the randomness of the draft.

Of course they'd only stay there for a day or two before getting traded back for a shitload of people, like HHH to SD during the first draft

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
I'm hoping some huge star (like a Cena, or HHH, or UT, or the like) gets drafted to ECW just to reinforce the randomness of the draft.

Of course they'd only stay there for a day or two before getting traded back for a shitload of people, like HHH to SD during the first draft
Since that was the funniest moment of the first draft to me (next to Heyman telling Nidia "I hope you go blind again")
Triple H Gets Drafted To Smackdown Back In 2004

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Playing around with the fantasy draft generator on WWE.com, I've made my picks for how the draft will go tonight, let's see how horrible they wind up being.

To Raw: JR, HHH, Shelton, Ezekial Jackson, and Bourne
To SD: Henry, Candice, Morrison, and Vickie (in the most pointless draft pick ever)
To ECW: Khali, Kozlov, and JTG

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I'm a bit annoyed that The Score is running the show form 9-12 instead of 8:15-11:15. This means I can only watch 2 hours of the show before leaving for work, and a lot of my Monday night / Tuesday morning work consists of reading things that recap Raw (F4W newsletter, Todd Martin's Raw report, this thread, etc.).

Scroby

Low rent Indy Referee
Reaction score
I'm excited for tonight. The only thing I want to see happen is Jamie Noble actually get drafted over to ECW.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I hope there's another announcing switch-up. Those changes are the ones that actually stick out the most from show to show, and I really want JR back on Raw.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
Since there's no General Discussion, if anyone hasn't watched the latest Dirt Sheet, Evan Bourne's dad is nailing The Miz's mom. And Bourne's dad cuts a better promo than Evan does.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I expect Swagger to Smackdown and MVP to RAW. Those are the only ones I willing to guess. Oh, Regal to be drafted from the Blue Bloods to ECW.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Cucaracha said:
Since there's no General Discussion, if anyone hasn't watched the latest Dirt Sheet, Evan Bourne's dad is nailing The Miz's mom. And Bourne's dad cuts a better promo than Evan does.
Daddy Bourne for Evan's new manager?

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
I'm a bit annoyed that The Score is running the show form 9-12 instead of 8:15-11:15. This means I can only watch 2 hours of the show before leaving for work, and a lot of my Monday night / Tuesday morning work consists of reading things that recap Raw (F4W newsletter, Todd Martin's Raw report, this thread, etc.).
Hey, do you know if they're having a replay tonight right after?

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nobody saw the blood come out of Matthews nose? He looked so embarrassed, but it was exactly what I needed to make me laugh.

MillenniumMan831

Monsoon_Classic
Reaction score
I'm guessing they stuck the ECW announce table in the upper concourse. Only explanation I have for his nosebleed. Well, there are others.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not the best of starts to RAW.

Mysterio vs Bourne should be okay.

Dreading Cena/Swagger, though.

M

Matt Young

ECW and Smackdown are both getting pillaged, according to rumors. I don't understand what the point is of taking guys away from ECW, however, when ECW guys can appear on all 3 shows already.