Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Xenogears.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I used to love Xenogears and even got my name from one of the villains, but it doesn't hold up that well. The fighting system can get annoying in a hurry and the game just falls apart on the second disk. I still like the story, but man can the game itself get frustrating at times. As others have said, the Suikoden series (minus the 4th game) is much better. Suikoden II is the best traditional JRPG on the PS1.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know what part I hated the most? On the second disk (go figure), where you're in that cave and you have to jump up and across all those rocks in your Gears....I can't tell you how many times I kept falling back down to the bottom.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
You know what part I hated the most? On the second disk (go figure), where you're in that cave and you have to jump up and across all those rocks in your Gears....I can't tell you how many times I kept falling back down to the bottom.

I always had that happen to me in that giant tower on the first disk.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
I used to love Xenogears and even got my name from one of the villains, but it doesn't hold up that well. The fighting system can get annoying in a hurry and the game just falls apart on the second disk. I still like the story, but man can the game itself get frustrating at times. As others have said, the Suikoden series (minus the 4th game) is much better. Suikoden II is the best traditional JRPG on the PS1.

Oh...

I think Suikoden 2 is the most overrated RPG there is. The gameplay is awful, and it wasn't worth trying to like the story. Characters sucked, the only good time I had was making up a fake name at wherever that was. 1 was decent, though, and 3 I just gave up on.

The music is by far the best thing about the series, and I bought multiple soundtracks which I just re-listened to a while ago.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
The Suikoden series is AWFUL. Might be one of the most boring games I've ever played. I wouldn't call Xenogears the GREATEST GAME EVER~!!!! But I wouldn't call it the worst either.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All these people here talking about how the second disc of Xenogears is horrible?

Yeah, I totally got to disagree with you on that. Mainly because the first disc bored me to tears enough that I never even made it that far.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
Doubting the existence of God certainly is a major element of Xenogears, yes.

Shadow Hearts is good, but just doesn't have it as far as being the greatest.

The judgment ring alone is better than anything Xenogears has to offer. IN MY OPINION!

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Suikoden is an awesome game and 2 seemed fine, haven't tried the others. I heard one of the PS2 ones is really brutal (4?)

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
3 was brutal because it took away what made the battles so fun (the speed of them) and the story dragged on at to many points. I liked what they were trying to do with 4, but it wasn't that good. 5 is a good starting over point.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't picture a Suikoden game without fast battles. What I loved about 1 was how an entire row of people would attack at once. What a nifty time saver!

Jer

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I always had that happen to me in that giant tower on the first disk.

Oh God, that brings back such terrible memories. Each fall was like 45 minutes lost with all the stupid enemies you had to fight on the way back up, and the last save point was like an hour ago, so you couldn't just quit. And it's not even your fault, it's the fucking horrible camera's. Oh such pain.

My mind is thoroughly boggled by Xenogears fans calling Suikoden's gameplay awful. Like, I'm too confused to even try to argue.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Xenogears calling Suikoden awful, I'm a fan of games that arent boring and don't suck ass.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Molotov The Bear said:
I'm not a fan of Xenogears calling Suikoden awful, I'm a fan of games that arent boring and don't suck ass.

Friendship is definitely over

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
...I remember liking the music. And going thru the sewers after the tournament... and fighting in jail with my robot. That dude in the beginning in the green... he was cool. I don't remember having many issues with jumping like others seemed to have had. Once I get another ps2 or get it fixed I might just try this one again from the start... not where I left off at disc 2... I played that disc thru skipping everything and being stoned out of my mind, so I don't remember too much, except thinking, "Man... this game stinks now. I should pop in Chrono Trigger... yeah, I'm popping in Chrono Trigger." and that was the end of my playtime with Xenogears.

Oh man, now that I remember that WAS my SECOND playthrough. I rented the game for like 4 days over the summer when I couldn't sleep while in the 7th or 8th grade. Got like 50-60 hours in it before the game wouldn't play anymore. But I never bought it until 6 years later... strange.

ericmm

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, when whats his name got that sword, that was vaguely cool.

But that giant pink puffball was terrible. At least it got crucified~! \m/

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Breath of Fire 4 is much better than 3. You got the two main characters, a more interesting world, and a great atmosphere set by the music and graphics. And BoF5 is a masterpiece.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Xenogears is that its almost two different video games after you get by the first disc. The first disc is an absolute bliss, joy, and wonderfully done. The second disc is a thing that makes you bash your head against a wall, wondering "what did I do to deserve this?".

I don't even agree on that front, but I appreciate the lack of hyperbole that characterizes most Xenogears fans. The dungeon design was broken, with the horrible jumping mechanics making it a pain to navigate. Freakin' ugly 2D visuals. Suikoden craps all over it, and hard. Doesn't matter if it's sorta-kinda 3D. If it looks *and* plays horribly, being able to spin the environment around doesn't help. The combos that were used in the on-foot battle system was neat in concept, but kind of underdone. Saga had a much smoother, way more solid battle system, but I couldn't stand anything else.

I'm replying to this like really late, but this needs to be said. The graphics are (if you disclude the second disk) the worst point in the game. For 1998 it was okay, but honestly the only reason anyone actually played was for the story, battles (were fast and fun), mecha, and the fact the music is pretty damn great.
You know what part I hated the most? On the second disk (go figure), where you're in that cave and you have to jump up and across all those rocks in your Gears....I can't tell you how many times I kept falling back down to the bottom

The Cave? That's nothing compared to the Tower of Babel. Dear God that was annoying as fuck.

Again, back when Xenogears came out this game was actually really good for its time. But honestly, you go back and you can literially wince at things that you can't get away with now. Like the graphics, the disaster known as the second disk, short changing the development process which CAUSED the second disk, etc.

You know what? I don't know what was more annoying. Tower of Babel or Chu-Chu.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Breath of Fire 4 might be the only legitimately good Breath of Fire game. 1 and 3 are so bad I'm not even going to bother to give them any more recognition, and 2 is fun but obviously a poorly made and programmed game. 4 is awesome, though!

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KOAB said:
Fuck is Breath of Fire? It got some dragons and shit?

Capcom RPG, though the first game was published here by Squaresoft. The first game came out in America pretty much at the same time Final Fantasy III (6j) did.

Yeah, it has "dragons and shit." Your main character *is* one, but primarily uses a humanoid form.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I'll give it a try. Do I need to play them all to understand the story, or is it like Final Fantasy?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Oh fuck yeah, I can hunt and fish on the overworld. I'm downloading this right now.