Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Xenogears.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
bof1snes3.png

That's terrible. Reading that makes me realize I've never played Secret of Mana... I'm downloading that too.

When I get the PS2 fixed, I'm gonna buy SaGa Frontier again... I liked that shit. Play that along with Xenogears... seems like the right thing to do.

Jer

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Breath of Fire was good, simple fun. The end got kind of dumb since the strongest dragon is completely broken, but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. It got completely overshadowed in history by FF6, though, which was roughly 10 trillion times better.

I only played the first one. I watched my brother play the second one, which looked very similar to the first one, but never got the urge to play. I remember the second one having much worse music than the first.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I loved Saga Frontier. That game had some brutally hard parts too.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jer said:
Breath of Fire was good, simple fun. The end got kind of dumb since the strongest dragon is completely broken, but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. It got completely overshadowed in history by FF6, though, which was roughly 10 trillion times better.

There were actually a few folks who said that BOF deserved RPG of the year over FFIII (SNES).

We called them crazy people, but they still existed!

ericmm

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SaGa frontier was kind of bullshit.

I played my first game with Riki, and at the end of his story your partner who I did ALL my fighting with turns out to be the last boss.

Or the character who had like a four minute long story with a boss you'd have to level for a few hours to beat. Like, hey, game start. Here's the boss. You're level 1. He's level 60. Go level everywhere else in the game to get ready for him.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AndrewTS said:
Jer said:

There were actually a few folks who said that BOF deserved RPG of the year over FFIII (SNES).

We called them crazy people, but they still existed!

Especially since Breath of Fire and FFIII did not come out on the same year!

Breath of Fire 1 is so bad, seriously. I can't believe a topic about Xenogears turned into a topic about Breath of Fire. At least Xenogears has good points.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
ericmm said:
SaGa frontier was kind of bullshit.

I played my first game with Riki, and at the end of his story your partner who I did ALL my fighting with turns out to be the last boss.

Or the character who had like a four minute long story with a boss you'd have to level for a few hours to beat. Like, hey, game start. Here's the boss. You're level 1. He's level 60. Go level everywhere else in the game to get ready for him.

YOUR BULLSHIT. I liked the story of the bitch whose husband got shot by the joker or some stupid shit.

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
I will never say BOF is the best rpg ever, but it was my first RPG so I'll always have a soft spot for it

At best, Xenogears can be consider "Good" but not the best rpg ever

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Especially since Breath of Fire and FFIII did not come out on the same year!

[quote author=wikipedia]
Final Fantasy III SNES: NA October 11, 1994
Breath of Fire SNES: NA October 10, 1994[/quote]

Gamefaqs says October 20, 1994 for Final Fantasy III SNES' US release date, though. Although even if it wasn't same calendar year, a lot of the GOTY awards wouldn't go from Jan to Dec anyway.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's surprising. My bad then. Just doesn't SEEM like they came out so close to each other. Seriously, FF6 is a million times more advanced. BoF seems like a NES RPG compared to it (and not the good kind of NES RPG either.)

Oh, and re: SaGa Frontier, yes the game sucked, but yes that storyline about the woman in prison after killing her husband was BADASS.