Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

XFL Returning 2020

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
https://www.fightful.com/vince-mcmahon-establishes-new-entity-called-alpha-entertainment-xfl-revival-reportedly-being

XFL Coaching Staffs
Dallas: HC Bob Stoops, OC/QB Hal Mumme, RB Bobby Blizzard, WR Jarrail Jackson, OL Jeff Jagodzinski, DC Chris Woods, DL Jim Jeffcoat, AC Scott Spurrier
Houston: HC June Jones, OC Chris Miller, QB Dan Morrison, OL John Estes, OA AJ Smith, DC Ted Cottrell, LB Tom Mason, DB Derrius Bell
Los Angeles: HC Winston Moss, OC Norm Chow, RB David Atkins, WR Michael Wilson, OL Jerry Fontenot, DC/LB Pepper Johnson, DL Vince Amey, DB Otis Smith
New York: HC Kevin Gilbride, QB G.A. Mangus, RB Jerald Ingram, WR Mike Miller, OL Ronnie Vinklarek, DL C.J. AhYou, LB Kevin Kelly, DB Cris Dishman
Seattle: HC Jim Zorn, OC Mike Riley, RB Butch Goncharoff, WR Larry Kirksey, OL Steve Smith, DC Clay Lopez, DB Marcus Ungaro
St. Louis: HC Jonathan Hayes, AHC Michael George, OC Doug Meachem, WR Az-Hazir Hakim, TE Nicholas Siciliano, OL Brian Braswell, Co-DC/DL Jay Hayes, Co-DC/LB Matt Raich, DB Tim Lewis, OA Charles Long
Tampa Bay: HC Marc Trestman, OC Jamie Elizondo, QB Josh Neiswander, RB Josh Moore, OL Jonathan Himebauch, OL Justin Poindexter, DC Jerry Glanville, DL Lawrence Hill, LB Mike Archer, DB Will Fields, ST Frank Gansz Jr.
Washington: HC Pep Hamilton, OC Tanner Engstrand, QB Ted White, WR Bob Saunders, TE/OT Todd Washington, OG/C Chris Scelfo, DC Jeff Fitzgerald, DL Ray Hamilton, LB Kurt Gouveia, ALB Napoleon Sykes, DB Sigismondo Cioffi, ST Steven Wilson, AST Brent Battle

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: XFL to Return?!??!

I'm disgusted you didn't make this it's own thread koab. We'll keep it in wrestling not sports for now because it's speculation and it's Vince related.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

Vince got so worked by the reverential 30 For 30 that portrayed the XFL as a brilliant idea years ahead of its time that he's willing to blow another $35 mil because he's convinced that the conditions are finally in place to make it a success. These are the moments where the word "based" doesn't even begin to cover it.

On the bright side, if this really is inspired by the anthem protests as rumored, Vince could probably get a sweet Sheldon Adelson investment.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score

5f30ba25d8e90d543d2453c16b525300.jpg

This one's for you Venk, RIP.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

Ray Rice lives in Stamford. Just sayin'.

Fake edit: ah shit Johnny Football redemption story

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

cobainwasmurdered said:
Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans and Ike Taylor are already warming up the pipes.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

Vince will probably make a huge show of the anthem and have his best good buddy Trump praise the league in tweets and get the red neck crowd that is protesting the NFL. Yeah this is going to happen.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score

Mik said:
Vince will probably make a huge show of the anthem and have his best good buddy Trump praise the league in tweets and get the red neck crowd that is protesting the NFL. Yeah this is going to happen.

The new XFL will consist of the players standing for the anthem for three hours. It will be the most watched thing on TV.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score

Teach players how to bump
Sign Kapernick as top heel
Sign Tebow as top babyface
Call it the URFL
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
EYF5xo1.gif

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score

He's already got Summer Rae on the Nfl Network as a SPY.
Clearly the Coach left ESPN because he knew what was up.
Vince is always 15 steps ahead.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/7k9kxu/vince_mcmahons_vkm_ventures_llc_has_trademarked/?st=JBA2W9X3&sh=45e6c7ac

Trademarked UFL...United Football League.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Perhaps he's trying to create something to leave for Shane.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score

The problem is Vince doesn't understand sports at all. Sports is a lot different than entertainment. You can have all different kinds of movies/tv shows etc. But, when it comes to sports, people want to see the best play against each other. This league won't be able to compete with the NFL for talent. So it will be seen as 2nd rate. And it will fail.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score

People watch DII and DIII football, there's a market for it. If Vince does this in the spring, it could work.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Since the XFL folded I feel like the UFL had the best chance of any of them to succeed and it failed. We already have Arena league (and may minor league versions of it as well) to fill that gap with NFL and NCAA wash outs.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it, but I have very limited expectations.

My town's 3,000 seat civic center occasionally hosts indoor football on the lowest level and gets tepid support.

All depends what market's he hits, how big of a league, and a few other variables. There's no shortage of players, but yeah...

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score

Thrasher said:
People watch DII and DIII football, there's a market for it. If Vince does this in the spring, it could work.

Maybe on a very limited scale. But, they aren't having DII and III games in prime time on NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox. I gotta believe that is Vince's vision. He isn't starting a league to have games on FS1 at 10 PM on Saturday nights. If that's the case, then what's the point? The only way I see him being interested is if he thinks he can compete at the highest level. He can't.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

The bigger issue with failing leagues isn't talent level or TV promotion, it's the teams and stadiums financial situations that ultimately doom these things. Either teams struggle to make profits trying to sell out stadiums that are way too large (see USFL struggling to pay players) or the league tries to expand to way too many cities e.g. starting out with 10-12 teams and struggling to financially support them all while mostly being a startup.

Even looking at the history of Baseball, NFL, Basketball, and Hockey shows a ton of teams folding within the first 5 years of their existences.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I could be wrong but I think both football and WWE were more popular when the XFL was attempted. That could make a reboot an even steeper climb.

Also, wasnt Jesse Ventura a key part of the rollout originally, calling some games and doing press? His name doesnt have quite the same ring this far removed from his governorship.

But, the dumber I think it is, the more likely the McMahons will do it.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score

I hope it bombs worse than the NFL, and if I'm lucky bankrupts the McMahons.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I don't see how this doesn't bomb if he's trying to compete with the NFL right out of the gate.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score

What network would even want to air this? All four big networks (ABC via ESPN) have contracts with the NFL now. A huge part of the XFL getting the TV deal it did was NBC losing the NFL.

Also, if Vince & Co think they can sell a league on "old school, smashmouth" football now, they're insane. We know too much about CTE and TBI in 2017, not to mention how many stars the NFL has lost to injury this year, mostly on legal plays even as the league tries to make the game safer. (Whether it's actually doing that is debatable, but that's at least the message it's trying to put out.)

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

But but but Vince's players will stand for the anthem.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score

If he tells me "we'll call it a catch if it looks like a catch" it might become my preferred league by default.

Staff member
Reaction score

Tino Standard said:
What network would even want to air this? All four big networks (ABC via ESPN) have contracts with the NFL now. A huge part of the XFL getting the TV deal it did was NBC losing the NFL.

Also, if Vince & Co think they can sell a league on "old school, smashmouth" football now, they're insane. We know too much about CTE and TBI in 2017, not to mention how many stars the NFL has lost to injury this year, mostly on legal plays even as the league tries to make the game safer. (Whether it's actually doing that is debatable, but that's at least the message it's trying to put out.)

Yeah, all this. There also isn't enough talent to make such a venture even worth watching.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score

I seriously doubt this gets off the ground. He did mention "exploring all options" including a partnership with the NFL.

The only things I see a potential audience for is an NFL paired, small minor league that runs during the so-called summer "dead period" when MLB is the only major sport going. Say 8 teams with AFC/NFC affiliations (say Jets/Giants and Steelers/Eagles etc. for an example), playing a short schedule in small stadiums for undrafted/unsigned players. I could see that working for sure, and the NFL is the only major sports league that doesn't have that now. Minor league baseball and now the G League both draw well. I could see it doing pretty well on TV as well. If Vince could get himself involved with something like that on the production/promotional end and I guess owning one of the franchises I could see that working. But a league in competition with the NFL?! HA!

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score

I'm skeptical that this is anything beyond signalling or otherwise just putting in a largely pointless placeholder

As far as the original XFL went, I never cared about the lower quality football. Since it was in the spring and not in direct competition with the NFL I found it was just good enough as something to throw on the TV Saturday nights even as side noise if I wasn't paying attention. Where it went downhill was when Vince started injecting awful shit like trying to force a feud between Jesse Ventura and one of the coaches (who humorously no sold it as he wasn't in on the "joke" and wanted nothing to do with it) or the Cheerleader Locker Room Dream Sequence Halftime Show, after which I turned it off completely with the exception of the title game

If a 70 y/o even more crazy and more out-of-it Vince tries more shit like that I can only see the train crashing right out of the station

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score

I remember a huge turnout for the first game (HE HATE ME!) in my Freshman dorms and then nobody gave a shit. It literally was a one week curiosity. A lot of these dudes were wrestling fans at the time too.

I don't know, I thought it fucking sucked for a variety of reasons, the main one being quality of play. Like, if I'm going to watch D league football Arena Football is way more fun