Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

YAKUZA Series Discussion

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ohhh, I see what you mean. Well, I guess there isn't much they could do. I didn't think they'd wait to re-release all of the old games before releasing 6. That said, I'm looking forward to marathoning all of these, in order, once my Souls/Souls-like marathon is over.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
KingPK said:
Man, I am trying so hard to get back into Yakuza 6, but I just can't get into the story at all and there just aren't enough goofy side stories and stuff to do to offset just how deadly serious (and, truthfully, fucking dull) the main storyline is. My Hiroshima dumbass sidekicks are worth a laugh, but Kiryu is way too serious a character and there isn't a Majima to balance that out. It even feels like they took more side stuff out than they added because you can't bowl anymore and there isn't the real estate or hostess club mogul stuff that I got WAY into in 0.

Maybe I'm just burned out on the series. I'm gonna skip Kiwami 2 if this keeps up.

If it makes you happy, Kiwami 2 has the cabaret mini game in it. It's like the game in Zero except Kiryu is running it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Kiwami 2 is on sale on PSN so I finally picked it up. I can ram guys crotch-first into poles so I already like it better than 6. But seriously I am liking it a lot more because the story is better (and things kick off pretty quickly) and it seems to have that weird-ass charm to the side stories that 0 had but was missing in 6.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
After much fumbling around, I think I somewhat grasp the absolute basics of how to play mahjong. I know the goal is to form a hand with four trios and one pair. That took maybe 15 games to finally grasp.

I'm actually surprised they haven't had a pachinko minigame in any of these given how big it is in Japan. There are parlors in the world but you never go into one.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It appears the two most recent are on sale at Best Buy this week. On the fence about buying the one with the NJPW guys in it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I'd get Kiwami 2 over 6. There's more of the weirdness Yakuza is known for, the story is better and there's more to do overall (the fishing town you go to in 6 has absolutely nothing interesting in it).

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The remastered collection (3/4/5) is out on Tuesday, but mine got shipped early from Amazon and I received it yesterday. Pretty excited to have this entire series on one console - time for a big ol' longplay. ;)

81QB%2BXYY4VL.AC_SL1500_.jpg

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I finished 2 today. I swear the last hour or so has like five different plot twists and Kojima-length cutscene. I love how if you are shirtless in these games you are basically unkillable until punched enough by the hero.

I was going to try for 100%, but the amount of Japanese card games I'm going to have to play might derail those plans. Haruka has a problem.