Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

YAKUZA Series Discussion

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I bought Yakuza 0 last week. I can't stop playing it. The story is great and I can manage a cabaret club to earn money. The substories are very interesting to play through.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: YAKUZA 0

How does the hostess club stuff work in 0? I remember in Yakuza 3 it just didn't give enough feedback as to why your girls were or weren't popular.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yakuza 3 had the bulk of those features stripped out for the US release, I believe. It's since been beefed up (or kept in tact) for the sequel's.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yeah, I meant 4, not 3. Forgot 3 was the one that they removed that shit from.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score

Okay in the beginning you have platinum hostess you can level up through mini games. You can also choose her outfit. You have to recruit hostesses to work in your club. There are two ways to do that I know of:

First, you can spend completion points and recruit hostesses. Second, by completing side stories, you can recruit those ladies.

Running the club is trial and error. Each patron wants a certain type of girl and later on they'll want particular hostess. Try to match hostesses that make each patron happy.If they are upset, they will cause trouble in the club. On occasion a hostess will need something: towel, ashtray, glass, or menu at a table. You will have to step in and deliver it. When a patron is done, make sure to visit the table and thank them at least. At the end of each session, each hostess used will gain XP and level up. I think the highest level is 30.

Also, you can bribe local businesses to bring customers into your club.

So what is the point of all of this?

First off, you gain money every time you play this game. After you get a certain number of fans, the local club owner will challenge you to a club battle. Whoever raises the most money in a shift wins. You can challenge them whenever you want and how ever many times it takes you to win. If you lose, you won't win any money. If you win, you get that club's platinum hostess and the club story line continues. Also, Majima expands his fighting styles when this is completed. The opposing club owners will use dirty tactics on you, so make sure your ready to take them on. The hardest club battle was the last one.

That's mostly it but I left out a few parts.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

I've been watching the Giant Bomb guys play this and it almost made me buy a PS4 a few weeks ago.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

This is my GOTY so far (granted, I haven't played stuff like Horizon yet). It's just really fun running around beating people up and I really dig the story so far. Majima's intro is such a great scene.

I haven't even unlocked the real estate and cabaret stuff yet.

I know the remake of the first one is due in August so I'll probably pick that up too, especially since it's only gonna be $30.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I actually have been playing it since January...I took a break after grinding through the real estate fun and I think I need another piece of the story done to finish the hostess club mini game. Both are addictive...

Also, bowling is a lot of fun.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

FUCK UFO CATCHERS. Goddamn scams they are.

I know doing well in sidestories gets you better rewards.....but MAN some of the dumb answers you can give are tempting. The localization team did such a great job with the dialogue and I just wanna be in that world of decadent 80s Japan.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

I just unlocked the real estate minigame and will soon get the cabaret started.

Goodbye outside world. It's been a while since I've had that "I need to stop, but let me just do this ONE LAST thing and then I'll save" feeling with a game.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

Just about to do the final mission. I really want to go and play the rest of this series because they do such a great job establishing the world and the main protagonists that I want to see where the story goes from here.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score

Yakuza Kiwami is a remake of the sequel to the game. It comes out soon, so you should play it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yup, out this summer, and only $30USD which is really great for a full remake and not a remaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Kiwami-PlayStation-4-Steelbook/dp/B06Y5Y9T8V/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1497626408&sr=1-1&keywords=yakuza+kiwami

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
YAKUZA 6 Clan Creator Trailer.. @48s Naito does the fucking DESTINO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCmNUzzbGQ

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
I got Yakuza 6 yesterday. Someone on GameFaqs mentioned Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter 5 were the arcade games. I headed over there and started playing those for close to an hour. I might not finish the game and spend all my yen there.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCmNUzzbGQ

I ran into Okada in one of the side stories. They call him the Rainmaker. ;D

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-announced-for-ps4

Cool. I wasn't a fan of 4 when I played it on the PS3 but I'll stick with it this time.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh goodness. All I need is a Dead Souls re-master and I'll be in Yakuza heaven.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-12-yakuza-and-more-valkyria-chronicles-are-heading-to-pc

If you have a PC, you have your chance to play Yakuza.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Man, I am trying so hard to get back into Yakuza 6, but I just can't get into the story at all and there just aren't enough goofy side stories and stuff to do to offset just how deadly serious (and, truthfully, fucking dull) the main storyline is. My Hiroshima dumbass sidekicks are worth a laugh, but Kiryu is way too serious a character and there isn't a Majima to balance that out. It even feels like they took more side stuff out than they added because you can't bowl anymore and there isn't the real estate or hostess club mogul stuff that I got WAY into in 0.

Maybe I'm just burned out on the series. I'm gonna skip Kiwami 2 if this keeps up.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
I heard they used a new engine for 6 that's why there is less features. Baseball is fun for a bit.

I'm playing Kiwami 2 and I had to watch the movies from the first one because I forgot some of the story. Releasing the games out of order is dumb.