Author Topic: DC & Marvel Animated Discussion  (Read 27735 times)

Description:

Offline FUCK THIS BOARD & FUCK EVERYONE ON IT!

• CBright
  • 2016 Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: DC & Marvel Animated Discussion
« Reply #650 on: November 25, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
Why can't DC and Marvel just release one or two boxsets of shows? It's fucking annoying as all hell. I'd like to get Young Justice and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes but instead of a sensible box set we get 3 or 4 volumes of the same season with like five episodes on each one.

BTW - while I'm griping - did they ever release Season 2 of Spectacular Spiderman?

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 27, 2012, 08:36:05 AM »
I watched something on Netflix called Ultimate Spider-Man today. Apparently some people really hate it (well, TVTropes says it has a broken / split fanbase) but I thought it was funny and enjoyable.

Offline CWM

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:08 AM »
I've only seen one episode of that but I thought it was enjoyable.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
I think the hatred comes from a hatred towards Jeb Loeb, who gained no favors with the decision to end Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Offline Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 27, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
That's a dumb reason to hate Ultimate Spider-man. Loeb's a hack but USM debuted alongside Earth's Mightiest Heroes and  he doesn't have anything to do with writing it.

It's a really fun show.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 27, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
I thought maybe people hated it because they made Aunt May a younger, cooler, yoga doing super aunt. Or that Harry and Peter's friendship was made up of Norman Osborne driving up to a sad Peter Parker and Harry going "hey dad there's the smart guy I talked about" and becoming friends because Norman wants Harry to have better grades. Or something, I don't know what riles people up about comic book shows (things being "too jokey"?)

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 27, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
I don't know what riles people up about comic book shows

Everything.

Offline CWM

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 27, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
From what I heard it's because people really liked the previous Spider-man cartoon and this incarnation is too comedic. Which seems pretty dumb to me. Spidey should be comedic for one thing and for another it's good to switch things up or it gets old. Batman TAS and Batman Brave & Bold were totally different but both were amazing.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 27, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
That's a dumb reason to hate Ultimate Spider-man. Loeb's a hack but USM debuted alongside Earth's Mightiest Heroes and  he doesn't have anything to do with writing it.

It's a really fun show.

Are we talking about Jeph Loeb here? How is he a hack? That dude's Batman comics are some of the best around.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »
He's kind of like Richard Kelly or M. Night Shyamalan. He did one thing really well and has been terrible ever since.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 27, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »
He's written at least three Batman stories that I like quite a bit, and I haven't read Superman For All Seasons but I hear it's swell. I don't think it's really fair to call that guy a hack.

Offline CWM

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 27, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
He might do Batman well but he wrote "Ultimates 3" and "Ultimatum" which are 2 of the most hated books/storylines of the modern era are responsible for ruining the Marvel Ultimate universe.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 27, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
I'm actually not a fan of his Batman work, but Superman For All Seasons stands out as some great work.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 27, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »

DOOM DEMANDS A BANANA SPLIT!

I love this.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
Is ultimate up on netflix streaming or disc only? I'm still waiting on season 2 of AEMH but that isn't even fully available on dvd yet.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 27, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
Season 1 just went up on Tuesday.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:17 AM »
After watching the first 3 episodes, I feel more like I'm watching a kids friendly version of Deadpool than Spider-Man.
I can see why it could be hated compared to AEMH, and some of it is played for way too much comedy. But it does have some funny moments. Especially enjoyed Spanish class Spider-Man.

I can see why the base is so divided by it though.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 28, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »
I definitely can too - by episode 4 it's going incredibly overboard with the comedy, but I'm fine with it.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »
Yeah, if you love the origins of Spider-Man and the characters, this series would so piss you off. The Venom change alone probably sent some fans into angry convulsions. If you just go in with a sense of humor about Spider-Man (who has the inner voices of Deadpool), it's really fun.

And did Mary Jane ever want to become a reporter? Because I'm a little confused by that.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:34 AM »
Apparently that Venom concept is semi-accurate to the otherwise unrelated Ultimate comic book.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 28, 2012, 02:49:50 AM »
Apparently that Venom concept is semi-accurate to the otherwise unrelated Ultimate comic book.

Really? Wow, Ultimate did change a lot. I'll give it credit for this much, it is certainly breaking out a LOT of characters.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
  • CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 13, 2013, 05:17:18 PM »
DKR Pt1 was pretty amazing. I really can't wait for part 2. They did such a great job with the casting and the animation style for this one, its easily one of my favorites now.

Part 2 comes out on the 29th.  Or it can be torrented now if you're into that sort of thing.  On a completely unrelated note to that second part...I just watched it and it's excellent. 

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »
You can also buy it right now on iTunes.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
Watching SPAWN animated complete.

Even if this is dated now, nothing coming can be as terrible as Todd McFarlane's opening intro of him explaining shit. That guy should be glad he can draw because he has no charisma at all.

ETA: so far this has held up pretty decent.

• CBright
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
Conan O'Brien voiced David Letterman Endocrine in The Dark Knight Returns (Part 2)!

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
Watching SPAWN animated complete.

Even if this is dated now, nothing coming can be as terrible as Todd McFarlane's opening intro of him explaining shit. That guy should be glad he can draw because he has no charisma at all.

ETA: so far this has held up pretty decent.

Probably held up better than the live action movie. I watched a few minutes of this a few days ago, and whoof! Horrible CGI.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #676 on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
The half-hour animated series, Teen Titans Go! premieres on Tuesday, April 23, at 7:30pm (Et/Pt) and will be rebroadcast during the DC Nation block on Saturday mornings at 10:30am (Et/Pt) beginning April 27.

• CBright
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 29, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
Bruce Timm is stepping down from DC Animation at WB.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44577

James Tucker is taking over. This is the end of an era. It really is. Tucker is a very good guy, a fine producer, artist, writer. He, along with Timm and the late Dwayne McDuffie were the minds behind the awesome (and what should have been an Emmy Award winning) Cadmus storyline in JLU among other great things. Judging by the "Cadmus Exposed" feature on JLU: Volume II and interviews that I have seen, I would even venture to say that he's probably an even bigger geek than Timm is. So, in that respect, my hopes remain reasonably high for anything coming from his leadership. Best of luck to him.

Still, this is a big deal and a big loss for WB and DC. I know the word "genius" gets thrown around a lot these days, but if anyone deserves such a title, it's Bruce Timm. One wonders if the piss-poor treatment of Green Lantern: The Animated Series has anything to do with it. WB Animation and its few outlets (like Cartoon Network) have been doing a great job of giving Timm a reason to not stick around. Between GL:TAS and the way that WB leadership has blatantly refused to let Timm do any DTV projects that don't include Batman, Superman, or the Justice League (I realize that they're the big cash cows, but do something different for God's sake), he's probably been chafing a smidge (and I don't blame him in that regard at all). Couple that with the fact that the guy has been with WB for twenty years, so maybe it's time for a change.

Now, I don't have much faith in Marvel Animation these days. They have screwed the pooch three times, in my opinion, with the cancelations and management of Spectacular Spiderman, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but if they (along with Disney) were smart, they'd throw some money at Timm, hire him, and get him on their projects. Paul Dini (another guy who got tired of WB's Animation politics and became a freelancer because of it) is writing for Marvel now, and I'd really like to see what Marvel could do with a mind like Timm's behind it. That would pretty much be the killing blow to Marvel dominance of superheroic cinematics of all kinds. They really could use his mind and input.

I just hope that he didn't step down for health reasons or something very serious like that. 

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
  • CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 29, 2013, 08:48:45 AM »
I started watching through Batman the Animated Series again recently.  The Two-Face two parter is really perfect.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
Some good animation in that one... or, those two.

A reminder that Batman Beyond / JL / JLU all go up on Netflix tomorrow.

Offline Empty Fossil of the New Scene

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 29, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Wow, CBright with a constructive post.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

• Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
If I was to ever be involved with any aspect of making any sort of comic book movie, the first person I would hire would be Bruce Timm. I really hope he gets to try his hand at live action like Brad Bird one day. WB would have been smart to rewrite their old Kubrick contract for Timm.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 30, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
So watching the Justice League season 1 and I just didn't remember Wonder Woman's actor being so wooden. The animation is fine minus the opening credits but her voice work just feels terribly off next to everyone else.

• Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 30, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »
I don't know if it was a conscious choice due to her character arc, but it ends up getting better.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 30, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »
According to my research, Bruce Timm spends his time being a perverted artist these days.

• Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
He's been doing...those...for years.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 30, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
I'm not complaining. I was actually looking for a non-watermarked screencap of his and Dini's appearance on TBATB - which, sidenote, sounds like there is some great hilarity in season 3 but Netflix only has up until half of season 2, which was good enough to watch Legends of the Dark-Mite - and was directed to http://fuckyeahbrucetimm.tumblr.com/

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2013, 06:56:36 AM »
The half-hour animated series, Teen Titans Go! premieres on Tuesday, April 23, at 7:30 PM ET on Cartoon Network and will be rebroadcast during the DC Nation block on Saturday mornings at 10:30 AM ET beginning April 27.

Bumping for the above.

Offline CWM

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 31, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/movies-tv/tv/top-5-harley-quinn-episodes-in-batman-the-animated-series/

Gotta give love to this really great article by HQ (of course) about the top 5 HarleyQuinn eps in BTAS.

When does he write about his love for Suicide Squad Harley though?

Offline Flik

• CXF Writer
  • Flik
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
Nice article HQ. Though you being a fan always helps.

Also, thanks for making me look up what a moll was. I thought for a second you meant doll and no one caught that mistake, but looked it up and it was an Australian slang. Something new learnt.

Offline CWM

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
I finally watched Teen Titans and really loved it. HQ challenged me to list my top 10/15 episodes and I came up with 14 figured I'd also share them here.

S01 E06    "Nevermore"    
During a battle with Dr. Light, Raven loses control of her powers, which makes the Titans worried. Later, Beast Boy and Cyborg sneak into Raven’s room and Beast Boy discovers a strange-looking mirror, which sucks him and Cyborg into alternate realm where they meet different sides of Raven. Unbeknownst to them, they've stumbled upon a portal into Raven's mind, where extremely terrifying thoughts and threats are waiting for them deep within.

S01 E10    "Mad Mod"
"Detention[
Mysteriously ambushed and knocked out cold, the Titans wake to find themselves in the hands of Mad Mod who has decided that the Titans are misbehaving children who need to go back to school. He says he'll teach them a lesson they won't forget, a lesson which includes hypnosis, brainwashing, and dangerous school materials.

"Every Dog Has His Day"       Being ignored by his busy teammates, Beast Boy feels lonely, so he wanders the town eventually turning into a green dog. To his surprise he crashes into another green dog that is being pursued by a flying saucer. The saucer picks Beast Boy up mistaking him for the real thing. On board the saucer, Beast Boy meets Soto, the dog's owner, an alien who acts all of two years old- and throws vicious tantrums aplenty. Beast Boy tries to makes his escape before Soto takes off for his home planet, but it's not as easy as he thought it would be. Meanwhile, the other Titans have noticed Beast Boy has gone missing, and end up chasing Soto's dog, believing it's their teammate.

"Date with Destiny"       In order to protect the city from an army of moths, Robin has no choice but to agree to the villain Killer Moth's demand: to take his daughter, Kitten, to her prom, much to the chagrin of a very jealous Starfire- and Kitten's ex.

"Winner Take All"       During a fierce card game in the Tower, Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy are zapped to another dimension, along with Speedy, Hot Spot, Gizmo, Aqualad, and Wildebeest. Here they meet the Master of Games, who announces that they are invited to a battle tournament to decide who is the greatest warrior of all time. Cyborg however soon starts to suspect the tournament of being more than what the Master of Games tells them.

"Aftershock"    August 14, 2004 (Cartoon Network)
February 5, 2005 (Kids' WB!)    257–332    Terra returns- but now following under Slade with a totally uncharacteristic and horrifying desire for vengeance. The Titans must now stop three escaped criminals, and their former comrade turned enemy.

"Deception"       The Titans send Cyborg undercover as Stone to investigate the HIVE's newest plan. Cyborg finds out that a new headmaster, Brother Blood, is now in charge of the academy, with a whole slew of nasty plots underway to unleash terror.    Brother Blood, Gizmo, Jinx and Mammoth.

"X"       The Titans investigate a break-in by an unknown intruder. Much to the group's surprise, the thief is Robin's (retired) criminal alter-ego, Red X. As the team scrambles to track him down, Robin broods on how the creation of Red X was a mistake, and resolves to fix it by bringing the new Red X down. Things take an unexpected turn when Professor Chang, a scientist and weapons dealer, captures the other Titans and prepares to unleash a doomsday weapon on the city, forcing a team-up between Robin and Red X to stop him. Can this unlikely alliance save the city?

"Haunted"    Ever since Slade disappeared, Robin has been questioning whether or not Slade is really gone. However, when Cinderblock breaks out of jail, Robin begins seeing Slade again. However, the problem is that he is the only one who can. Has Slade actually returned, or is there something sinister messing with Robin's head?

"Revolution"    October 16, 2004 (Cartoon Network)    257–487    It's the Fourth of July and everyone is celebrating, until Mad Mod crashes the party and uses his hypno-screens to hypnotize everyone into serving him as "King Moddy the First" and transforms the city's infrastructure into strange copies of British buildings, claiming that the United States now belong with Britain again. When the Titans go after him, he steals Robin's youth with his cane, turning the leader of the Teen Titans into a gray-haired and weak old man, and the rest of the team has to rescue him while facing down the belligerent Brit's army.

"Bunny Raven... or... How to Make A Titananimal Disappear"       When trying to stop The Amazing Mumbo, the Titans are sucked into his hat and Raven is separated from the rest of the group. However, when they find her, they discover that Raven has been transformed into a rabbit. Soon after, Mumbo changes the rest of the Titans into animals: Robin, a monkey; Starfire, an orange and black striped cat; Cyborg, a bear wearing an endless number of tutus; and Beast Boy, a lamp (retaining his ability to shapeshift, but restricted to inanimate objects), after he learns turning him into an animal is pointless. The Titans must think of a way to defeat Mumbo, otherwise they will disappear forever after Mumbo's grand finale.

"Employee of the Month"    Amidst a series of UFO raids on farms (with the targets being cows, to everyone's mystification), Beast Boy wants a moped but has no money to get one of his own. Robin won't buy him one and Cyborg won't build one, so the only way for him to get one is to get a job at Mega Meaty Meat, a restaurant which sells nothing but meat. Beast Boy manages to overcome his distaste for meat in order to get the job, but his workplace proves to be more than just a restaurant.

"Lightspeed"       The Titans East are called back to Steel City and the HIVE Five takes advantage of their absence to steal and rob unhindered. But a new hero called Kid Flash suddenly appears and hampers them at several occasions; at the same time, however, he develops a strong crush on Jinx and makes an effort to convince her to abandon the Hive Five. When Madame Rouge arrives in the city to capture Kid Flash, Jinx finds herself questioning whether she really wants to join the Brotherhood of Evil.

"Revved Up"    Ding Dong Daddy steals a briefcase from Robin, containing his most prized possession. The only way for him to get it back is to beat Ding Dong Daddy in a race. Red X and Gizmo discover this and Gizmo reveals this to a horde of villains who join the race. Red X disables the villains and Robin wins the race. It is never revealed what the briefcase contained.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #691 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »
Part 1 of my Top 15 Teen Titans Episodes if anybody wants to compare the start of the list to CWM's above.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »
Watching the Flashpoint Paradox now.. Sam Daly (son of Tim Daly) voices Superman in this and he sounds EXACTLY like his father (who has also voiced Superman a lot). Like you wouldn't even know outside of seeing a different name in the credits.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • View Profile
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #693 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
How is it? I dug the comic book.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 30, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
Not too bad so far.. I'm only about 15 minutes into it. I really enjoyed the comic arc as well so I'm hoping it can live up to that. The cast is pretty amazing, either way.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 31, 2013, 04:25:40 AM »
Update: It was not too shabby for an adaptation. There are a few random changes but I think they worked out better for the medium that they were telling the story for. Definitely worth checking out. The cast really is the highlight. I really liked Kevin McKidd as Thomas Wayne.

I also picked up Superman Unbound so I'll be checking that out tonight or tomorrow as well. :)

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 31, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
Superman Unbound is... it's fine and pretty to watch. And there's a funny scene with Lois.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 31, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
Does Flashpoint Paradox lead into a New 52 scenario?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
Unknown, really. It just ends off the same way as the comics do.
Spoiler: show
Barry gives Bruce the letter from Thomas and that's that.
Maybe there will be a follow-up movie?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #699 on: June 20, 2014, 04:36:13 AM »
Did my Top 5 Batman: The Animated Series Episodes.  Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?