Author Topic: News That Doesn't Warrant a Thread 2017-2018  (Read 21745 times)

Description:

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• the whole thing is tainted with the memory of the farts
  • stares Trick Daddily
Re: News That Doesn't Warrant a Thread 2015
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2015, 07:04:07 AM »
One wonders, then, what does constitute as "fighting words" if the public endorsement of violence predicated upon one's skin color or religious beliefs doesn't.

I think I found an answer:

Gooding was the nail in the coffin—if the fighting words exception has any real vitality left at all (and many commentators, including Nadine Strossen, think it is essentially dead) the Supreme Court has effectively limited the exception to only include abusive language, exchanged face to face, which would likely provoke a violent reaction.

http://www.thefire.org/misconceptions-about-the-fighting-words-exception/
All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 12:32:04 AM »
The first guy to die in the Civil War was from the SAE fraternity. Shockingly, he was a Confederate:

He drowned on February 12, 1861, while on duty as chaplain of the Alabama troops. He was 23 at the time of his death. As he was about to board a steamer at Fort Morgan, Alabama, he made a misstep and fell into the water. Three days later his body was washed ashore. He was the first man to lose his life in the Civil War. Even though the Civil War did not begin until April 12, 1861, Alabama had seceded from the Union in January, hence the reason for his being the first casualty.

A noble history this frat has.
All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/world/asia/chinas-tensions-with-dalai-lama-spill-into-the-afterlife.html

Chinese Communist Party leaders are afraid that the Dalai Lama will not have an afterlife. Worried enough that this week, officials repeatedly warned that he must reincarnate, and on their terms.

Tensions over what will happen when the 14th Dalai Lama, who is 79, dies, and particularly over who decides who will succeed him as the most prominent leader in Tibetan Buddhism, have ignited at the annual gathering of China’s legislators in Beijing.

Officials have amplified their argument that the Communist government is the proper guardian of the Dalai Lama’s succession through an intricate process of reincarnation that has involved lamas, or senior monks, visiting a sacred lake and divining dreams.

Party functionaries were incensed by the exiled Dalai Lama’s recent speculation that he might end his spiritual lineage and not reincarnate. That would confound the Chinese government’s plans to engineer a succession that would produce a putative 15th Dalai Lama who accepts China’s presence and policies in Tibet. Their anger welled up on Wednesday, as it had a day earlier...

If China can control even reincarnation we really are doomed.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
The GOP proposed budget. LOL.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 04:26:47 AM »

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 07:52:08 AM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27792044/gop-aghast-at-klingenschmitts-actofgod-comment-in-babys-death

Several leading Colorado Republicans lashed out Thursday against state Rep. Gordon Klingenschmitt, saying his "curse of God" comments about an attack on a pregnant woman whose baby was cut from her womb were "disgusting" and "reprehensible."

The lawmaker, who also is a minister, quoted the Bible in his "Pray In Jesus Name" program Wednesday and tried to link the crime to abortion.

"This is the curse of God upon America for our sin of not protecting innocent children in the womb and part of that curse for our rebellion against God as a nation is that our pregnant women are ripped open," Klingenschmitt said.

Mind blowing.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/lobbyist-claims-monsanto-weed-killer-is-safe-to-drink-then-bolts-when-tv-host-offers-him-a-glass/ on the lighter side. But don't play with a lighter near it.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »
Klingenschmitt also tried to donate to her GoFundMe and she refunded it
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 05:20:37 AM »
http://www.windsorstar.com/news/world/shoots+armadillo+bullet+bounces+goes+through+mobile+home/10970808/story.html

LEESBURG, Georgia — Authorities say a man shot an armadillo, but ended up accidentally wounding his mother-in-law when the bullet ricocheted off the mammal known for its hard shell.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »
closest I got to that white man privilege is when I got busted underage and the cops stole my beer and told me to fuck off

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/04/16/399986331/hacked-touchscreen-voting-machine-raises-questions-about-election-security?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150416

Computer security experts have warned for years that some voting machines are vulnerable to attack. And this week, in Virginia, the state Board of Elections decided to impose an immediate ban on touchscreen voting machines used in 20 percent of the state's precincts, because of newly discovered security concerns.

Other state investigators easily guessed the system's passwords — in one case, it was "abcde" — and were then able to change the vote counts remotely without detection.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »
...so why are these devices hooked up to the fucking internet? They can't save files to a flash drive and send them in for counting that way?
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 02:53:03 AM »
Not to mention, why use passwords a 4 year old could guess?

Offline Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »
BAH GAWD THAT'S NOT EVEN FAR FROM MY HOUSE

Offline The Mole

• Chief Resistance Leader to CXF Dictatorship
  • CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Lol

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2015, 03:02:36 AM »

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »
Obama's White House Correspondence "speech/roast" felt like a DC version of a shoot interview. The zings were excellent.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »

Offline CuckBright7831

• CBright
  • 2016/17 Poster of the Year
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 02:00:24 AM »
This guy always looked like a smug cocksucker to me.

Brian Williams, the embattled NBC news anchor whose credibility plummeted after he acknowledged exaggerating his role in a helicopter episode in Iraq, has been suspended for six months without pay, the network said on Tuesday night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/business/media/brian-williams-suspended-by-nbc-news-for-six-months.html?_r=0

Now it's starting to look like he may have embellished at least 11 more stories.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-nbc-news-brian-williams-embellished-20150425-story.html

I'm not sure how this compares with the Stephen Glass controversies from the 90's (which a lot of people are currently doing), but I'd say that it's up there. He's done. It's a shame too, because I always liked Brian Williams.  :-\

HEY, TRTSM:

Quote from: Cowboy Numbers
same with cwm
he's a stay at home dad with no education
what's he gonna teach his kids? how to be a loser?

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:34 AM »
Who'll play him in the movie?

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/05/07/mcdonalds-was-there-for-me-when-no-one-else-was/?tid=pm_opinions_pop_b

On behalf of McDonald's, the real job creators. We wouldn't have had so many great fuckin' performances if it weren't for those golden arches. God bless

CWM should appreciate this one.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2015, 05:53:38 AM »
Working at McD's was the shit. Glad I found something else but the six months there for a first job were tons of fun. RIP McDonalds pizza.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2015, 02:10:57 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156/in-search-of-the-red-cross-500-million-in-haiti-relief
Nobody knows where the $500 million that Red Cross raised in relief for the 2010 Haiti Earthquake.

Of note to all of the wrestling dorks here, the American Red Cross rep they interviewed here's name is David Meltzer.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »
When asked directly about the funds, David went into a long tangent about how money being gone some times was not an uncommon phenomenon with the Dick the Bruiser's WWA territory in the 70s and how this fact indirectly played a large part in Pepper Gomez not becoming a bigger name in the area before eventually finishing the story and admitting they don't know where the money is 20 minutes later.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »
When asked directly about the funds, David went into a long tangent about how money being gone some times was not an uncommon phenomenon with the Dick the Bruiser's WWA territory in the 70s and how this fact indirectly played a large part in Pepper Gomez not becoming a bigger name in the area before eventually finishing the story and admitting they don't know where the money is 20 minutes later.

Online Damaramu

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2015, 01:16:08 AM »
Someone explain TPP to me and if I should be upset.

The right wingers would have me believe it's death to freedom and Obama passed it in secret while distracting us with Charleston.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2015, 02:20:12 AM »
The big problem I'd have with it as an American is that it's basically allowing foreign corporations to do whatever the fuck they want in the US and can sue the government for interfering.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2015, 05:52:34 AM »
From my brief skimming of a couple articles, it seems that it's leveling the economic playing field on a global level. American factories may close and jobs be outsourced but developing nations will see their local job force increase since they're willing to work longer for less.

There's no way this could possibly backfire. Nope. Not one bit.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2015, 12:09:58 AM »
From my brief skimming of a couple articles, it seems that it's leveling the economic playing field on a global level. American factories may close and jobs be outsourced but developing nations will see their local job force increase since they're willing to work longer for less.

There's no way this could possibly backfire. Nope. Not one bit.

I think this is a little wrong. The trade barriers between the US and the Asian countries in question are already quite low, so this will probably have minimal impact. The real concern is the intellectual property provisions, imho:

First of all, whatever you may say about the benefits of free trade, most of those benefits have already been realized. A series of past trade agreements, going back almost 70 years, has brought tariffs and other barriers to trade very low to the point where any effect they may have on U.S. trade is swamped by other factors, like changes in currency values.

In any case, the Pacific trade deal isn’t really about trade. Some already low tariffs would come down, but the main thrust of the proposed deal involves strengthening intellectual property rights — things like drug patents and movie copyrights — and changing the way companies and countries settle disputes. And it’s by no means clear that either of those changes is good for America.

On intellectual property: patents and copyrights are how we reward innovation. But do we need to increase those rewards at consumers’ expense? Big Pharma and Hollywood think so, but you can also see why, for example, Doctors Without Borders is worried that the deal would make medicines unaffordable in developing countries. That’s a serious concern, and it’s one that the pact’s supporters haven’t addressed in any satisfying way.

On dispute settlement: a leaked draft chapter shows that the deal would create a system under which multinational corporations could sue governments over alleged violations of the agreement, and have the cases judged by partially privatized tribunals. Critics like Senator Elizabeth Warren warn that this could compromise the independence of U.S. domestic policy — that these tribunals could, for example, be used to attack and undermine financial reform.

Not so, says the Obama administration, with the president declaring that Senator Warren is “absolutely wrong.” But she isn’t. The Pacific trade pact could force the United States to change policies or face big fines, and financial regulation is one policy that might be in the line of fire. As if to illustrate the point, Canada’s finance minister recently declared that the Volcker Rule, a key provision of the 2010 U.S. financial reform, violates the existing North American Free Trade Agreement. Even if he can’t make that claim stick, his remarks demonstrate that there’s nothing foolish about worrying that trade and investment pacts can threaten bank regulation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/opinion/paul-krugman-trade-and-trust.html?_r=0

Offline Jingus

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
A major problem is how Chinese government and business just don't really share the same ideas about intellectual property that their Western counterparts do.  Their overall attitude is "if we can take or copy something and use it for ourselves, then fuck the guy who invented it, we're not paying him shit".  (Yes, that's a massive oversimplification and I am sure there are countless exceptions, but that does seem to be the general consensus's thought process on the matter.)  American business has been pretty worried about this for years now, that the massive and still-growing Chinese market would shortchange us on things like patented products because they could just make it themselves for much less money than it would take them to buy it from us in the traditional manner. 

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
But that's kind of irrelevant to the TPP, since China isn't involved.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
Really?  My bad, I just assumed that any epic-scope trade legislation involving Asia would naturally have touched upon China somehow; they're only the world's single largest economy by an unbelievably huge margin, after all.  Maybe they're laying groundwork and precedent in the hope of reaching similar agreements with China in the future?  "Look, everyone else is doing it, go along with the crowd!" 

I am still very skeptical of any deal which seems to actively encourage the outsourcing of jobs and manufacturing by American corporations.  That's pretty consistently proved to be actively detrimental to our economy as a whole.  What's even the current argument for how it's supposed to help us?  Trickle-Down Economics under a fancy new label, maybe? 

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2015, 11:19:49 PM »
Really?  My bad, I just assumed that any epic-scope trade legislation involving Asia would naturally have touched upon China somehow; they're only the world's single largest economy by an unbelievably huge margin, after all.

The US is aligning with the countries in the region who fear China--diplomatically, militarily, and economically--to balance against China's growing power. This has often been referred to as the "pivot" to Asia.

What's even the current argument for how it's supposed to help us?  Trickle-Down Economics under a fancy new label, maybe?

Here's the official USG answer: https://ustr.gov/tpp

• KOAB
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/grownups-pay-big-bucks-attend-nyc-adult-preschool/story?id=29701836

I thought new yorkers were tough; the least coast jokes were not supposed to be real.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »
I thought Eddie Griffin died?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
It passed long enough ago to start doing tributes to the legend.  Just stay away from the tracks.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online Damaramu

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 05:12:53 AM »
So I'm pretty bummed out about this guy killing Cecil the Lion. I'll never understand the big game hunting.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2015, 12:54:16 AM »
Taken from a political flier I got in the mail from the incumbent for a state office:

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/white-privilege-texas-cops-let-underage-drinker-go-after-she-beats-them-at-rock-paper-scissors/

I don't even need to say this, but:

What does this story have to do with race besides the author making race the focal point in the headline and comparing it to an unrelated incident with different police in a different part of the country? I bet if it were a black male in this story the author would have wrote "Black make forced to put dignity and freedom on the line in a game of rock paper scissors". This is the kind of journalism that irks me.

Offline devo

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
No, the difference is that a black person would've never been afforded the opportunity to win their freedom by besting the police in rochambeau.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
**reads Tigger's post**

Hmmm...your name isn't Brandon by any chance, is it?

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »
Some random stories.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/greene-county-commission-confederate-flag

GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — While governments debate taking down Confederate flag or removing it altogether, a county in Tennessee is considering raising the divisive banner.

The Greene County Commission will take up a resolution Monday to fly the Confederate flag on top of the county courthouse alongside the American flag.

The resolution was proposed by Commissioner James "Buddy" Randolph. It says the flag honors those Tennesseans who fought in the Civil War, during which time the state had large numbers of both Union and Confederate supporters.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reports that the county was among the staunchest in East Tennessee to oppose secession, with the majority of its residents fighting in the Union Army.
I love that last part.

http://qz.com/520024/smoke-bombs-eggings-kosovos-parliament-is-out-of-control/
Kosovo’s lawmakers are getting feisty again. A heated argument in parliament today ended with one minister detonating a smoke bomb. Opposition leader Albin Kurti is the alleged miscreant, and he reportedly kicked at least one smoking canister (emitting what may have been tear gas) around the room until two of his fellow ministers fainted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-about-to-free-6000-prisoners-largest-one-time-release/2015/10/06/961f4c9a-6ba2-11e5-aa5b-f78a98956699_story.html
The Justice Department is set to release about 6,000 inmates early from prison — the largest one-time release of federal prisoners — in an effort to reduce overcrowding and provide relief to drug offenders who received harsh sentences over the past three decades, according to U.S. officials.

The inmates from federal prisons nationwide will be set free by the department’s Bureau of Prisons between Oct. 30 and Nov. 2. About two-thirds of them will go to halfway houses and home confinement before being put on supervised release. About one-third are foreign citizens who will be quickly deported, officials said.
Let's hope there is a lot more of these.

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »
No, the difference is that a black person would've never been afforded the opportunity to win their freedom by besting the police in rochambeau.

You are saying for a fact, without knowing anything about them, that those 3 cops are racist and never would have did that if she was black.

Offline devo

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Sure am.

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:53 AM »
shitty

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer