Author Topic: Mizzou, Yale and other Campuses  (Read 3979 times)

Description:

Offline Gary

• They will make cemeteries their cathedrals and the cities will be your tombs.
  • CXF Writer
Mizzou, Yale and other Campuses
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:16:24 AM »
In case you didn't know, there's been a pretty big brou ha ha as of late over recent events in the University of Missouri, Yale and other college campuses. Some of it has dealt with issues of years long ingrained racism and oppression. Other incidents have brought up the issue of free speech on college campuses, as student reporters have been pushed out of reporting on protests. Also, a bunch of talk about things like safe spaces and other bullshit that doesn't make any sense to me.

So yeah, I think we should have a thread involving this.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Online Damaramu

Re: Mizzou, Yale and other Campuses
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Dadaramu says the protests are only happening because the black students are race baiters.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
The more I hear about Dadaramu the more I want to punch him in the dick.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Online Damaramu

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:04 AM »
The more I hear about Dadaramu the more I want to punch him in the dick.

He recently broke his leg if that makes you feel any better.

It's just really sad because he didn't used to be like this. He's gotten worse and worse the older he gets. I talk to my other friends and they say their dads are the same way. Maybe it just happens when you're old and white?

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:12:20 AM »
Your father may want to invest in a therapist.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:28:06 AM »
From what I've been seeing people saying this year on social media in general, Dadaramu is much more representative of the older-white-people consensus than most of us would be comfortable imagining is possible.  There really does seem to be this huge, terrified, revivalist-ish backlash of doubling-down upon conservative theology among a dangerously large percentage of the population. 

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • Hey Ryo!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:42:25 AM »
My mom used to be a Democrat. Now she watches Fox News and wants Trump to win.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Online Damaramu

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:08:05 AM »

I've said it before. That's how Dadaramu is. He was a Democrat that thought Gore got screwed out of the election. Then 9/11 happened and suddenly he was a red-blooded Republican that loved Bush and was happy "that pussy Gore didn't get elected".

I've out and out called him a racist with his response to African American issues. His response is "Black people are some of the most racist people I know! And I'm not racist, I'm just fed up!"

Offline The Mole

• Chief Resistance Leader to CXF Dictatorship
  • CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 03:40:59 AM »

This is my mom.  She voted for Gore and then somewhere along the line switched to Republican.  Have no idea who she supports out of the GOP pool but I'd like to think it's not Trump.  I prefer not to talk about religion or politics with my folks.

My old man is like Dadaramu-lite, although he's turned more Libertarian since Obama was in office (particularly concerning size of the government and their amount of influence) although he'll still march right up to the ballot box and vote GOP like he has every election since he was old enough to vote.  It's pretty hard to ween former military Baby Boomers off of that stance.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 03:46:47 AM »
Anyways, back to the topic at hand: There's been a bit of a thing going on at Amherst. I get them being upset about the mascot (though the name "Lord Jeff" is kinda awesome), but then there's stuff like this:

President Martin must issue a statement to the Amherst College community at large that states we do not tolerate the actions of student(s) who posted the “All Lives Matter” posters, and the “Free Speech” posters that stated that “in memoriam of the true victim of the Missouri Protests: Free Speech.” Also let the student body know that it was racially insensitive to the students of color on our college campus and beyond who are victim to racial harassment and death threats; alert them that Student Affairs may require them to go through the Disciplinary Process if a formal complaint is filed, and that they will be required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency.
So yeah, literally re-educating people. Also, this happening

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• the whole thing is tainted with the memory of the farts
  • stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 05:39:58 AM »
I don't really see anything really egregious going on in that video, the girl was kind of rambling and not making any sense. She wasn't really silenced.
All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 06:59:05 AM »
Eh, they didn't "silence" her.  Some people audibly groaned.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 07:04:43 AM »

This is my mom.  She voted for Gore and then somewhere along the line switched to Republican.  Have no idea who she supports out of the GOP pool but I'd like to think it's not Trump.  I prefer not to talk about religion or politics with my folks.

My old man is like Dadaramu-lite, although he's turned more Libertarian since Obama was in office (particularly concerning size of the government and their amount of influence) although he'll still march right up to the ballot box and vote GOP like he has every election since he was old enough to vote.  It's pretty hard to ween former military Baby Boomers off of that stance.

I've also noticed how much more aggressive the 9/11-cons were and have now become again.  When it comes to social media I can admit I am too often baited into discussions/debates that will never amount to anything constructive, but something I never would do is start posting conspiracy videos of opposing view points over and over on other people's walls.  The right-wing noise machine is not just satisfied with opposing views and voting for those, it is like they feel they need to bombard the rest of us (sane folks) with their ridiculous theories and viewpoints.  They have all already forgot how awful these same options turned out a decade ago but all seem ready to jump right back into it.  None of them personally though, hardly ever do I see a young conservatives FB feed feature a post like "Hey everyone, I enlisted to take on the terrorists"

And of course the goal posts for "keeping us safe" have now moved too.  It isn't good enough for them anymore that there hasn't been a major attack on our soil under Obama because the "TROOOOTH!!!1111!!??!" is that he is weakening our country so much that an attack in the future is guaranteed and of course will be traced back to him and yadda yadda yadda......uuuugh.

Offline The Paper Industry

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 07:56:40 AM »
...isn't re-educating people what everyone here wishes they could do to republicans? Invoking that feeling is like some Breitbart shit.

I get why people are upset about the PC histrionics, but at the same time I think they're caught up in the semantics. People that say "all lives matter" and say the Mizzou actions were anti-free speech are just using code words to suppress people trying to change social injustice. Of course all lives matter, and of course they want free speech, but that's not what they mean. When people at Mizzou use "Free Speech" to criticize the protestors, they're really saying they should be allowed to defecate into a nazi symbol without issue. These protestors aren't attacking free speech, they're attacking the way it was used to suppress them. Free speech doesn't mean immunity from criticism, it means that other people, like the protestors, are allowed to tell you that they think you're blind to the truth. And if I were a black kid at Mizzou, I'd probably be angry too.

I also agree that some of these PC people have gone too far to the extreme and are really sensitive. But that shouldn't detract from the fact that institutional racism is real, and allowing white people to say 'no it isn't' is how nothing gets done.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
...isn't re-educating people what everyone here wishes they could do to republicans? Invoking that feeling is like some Breitbart shit.

I get why people are upset about the PC histrionics, but at the same time I think they're caught up in the semantics. People that say "all lives matter" and say the Mizzou actions were anti-free speech are just using code words to suppress people trying to change social injustice. Of course all lives matter, and of course they want free speech, but that's not what they mean. When people at Mizzou use "Free Speech" to criticize the protestors, they're really saying they should be allowed to defecate into a nazi symbol without issue. These protestors aren't attacking free speech, they're attacking the way it was used to suppress them. Free speech doesn't mean immunity from criticism, it means that other people, like the protestors, are allowed to tell you that they think you're blind to the truth. And if I were a black kid at Mizzou, I'd probably be angry too.

I also agree that some of these PC people have gone too far to the extreme and are really sensitive. But that shouldn't detract from the fact that institutional racism is real, and allowing white people to say 'no it isn't' is how nothing gets done.
I actually agree with most of this. My issue honestly isn't protests from people who have been discriminated against, nor is it for any form institutionalized racism. If anything, my issue is more about the wave of oversensitive actions that populate some of these colleges. If you've been discriminated against, you have all of my support. However, if you are going on about trigger warnings or needing a safe space? Fuck off with that shit.

One example that I feel kind of supports my argument is the recent incident with Melissa Click. She is (well, was. She got fired after this) a university professor who, in what was declared a "media free safe space", demanded that student reporters be "muscled out" of the area. The irony of it all? One of them was an Asian American man-being told he can't do his job by a white woman claiming she fights for the rights of minorities.

I'm not saying that college students shouldn't protest bigotry. Far from that. I agree that terms like "all lives matter" is fucking dumb. What I'm saying is there is something about some of these colleges (such as Amherst) that doesn't really fit with me. Like it's basically trying to purge out anything that might be seen as offensive or an all around different opinion. What I'm saying is more people should read this.

I dunno. Maybe I just don't understand the world today.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
I think there's definitely an illiberal strain on the far left that puts group rights ahead of individual rights. Luckily, it's not very powerful in the US, except for in some pockets on college campuses--one of the places where the left can actually be powerful.
All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 06:46:24 AM »
I think there's definitely an illiberal strain on the far left that puts group rights ahead of individual rights. Luckily, it's not very powerful in the US, except for in some pockets on college campuses--one of the places where the left can actually be powerful.
I'm going to sound like and old man and maybe an idiot, but here's a few reasons why I think this is so widespread on some college campuses

1.) The rise of social media. Basically, Twitter, Tumblr and other sites have given a voice to people that have previously been marginalized. For the most part, I think this is great, as it has finally given a voice to minorities, women and people in the LGBT community. They can finally be heard in a world that previously didn't (and unfortunately, still won't or doesn't want them to) allow it. This is a genuine triumph on many levels.

However...

2.) Some of the kids who are inspired by this...they are kids. Yes, some of them have genuinely experience discrimination. They still do. I do acknowledge that there are colleges that need to get their shit together and understand the needs and issues that effect them. I am not saying none of that is true. I totally get why many of these people in a lot of these universities are mad right now.

But as I said...a lot of them are still kids. They don't fully grasp some of these issues. They are either too young or too naive to fully understand what others go through, so they start to cherry pick terms like "Cisheteropatriarchy" or whatever. Terms that some of them don't fully understand. Granted, I am largely talking about white kids in Ivy league colleges in this case, but still. This leads to

3.) After a while, in and out of social media, some of these kids start to live in echo chambers. It's fine to hear someone voice opinions similar to your own. However, I don't think it's healthy to live in environments where everyone has similar opinions and views as your own. That's because sooner or later, you or someone else might say something that doesn't gel-hell, sometimes even accidentally-and that can sometimes either get them ostracized or publicly shamed for saying or thinking the wrong thing. As I've said, I'm not in any way defending hate speech of any form. Far from it. What I am saying is that in life-real life-you are supposed to be challenged in your opinions and beliefs. Especially in college. That's one of the reasons you go there. If you go to college and declare a need for a "safe space" or a "trigger warning" because say, the author of a book you have to read has bigoted views, then you shouldn't be in college.

Again, I'm not defending anything or anyone bad here. I'm just saying that I find it alarming that so much of this is, as smitty said, is putting the rights of groups over individual rights. I totally get why people at say, Mizzou are upset, I totally do. However, when you start yelling at a professor or dean because of an e-mail involving Halloween costumes or start making demands that at times are basically impossible to attain-I find myself getting confused. We, as human beings, should be better than that is what I'm saying.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
The activist kids are a tiny minority.  There's this widespread belief by people who haven't been to college recently (or at all) that the universities are bastions of overwhelming liberal supermajorities, and that's simply not true.  Speaking as a guy who was actually a member of a radical leftist student group just a couple of years ago, the vast majority of college students don't give a shit about politics.  The problem that activist groups always face is overwhelming apathy in the general student body about political issues.  Most of the kids simply don't care about anything beyond their schoolwork and personal lives.  I've seen countless cultural or political events with embarrassingly small crowds, and offhand I can't recall any which had even one-tenth the turnout that shows up for the football games. 

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »
The activist kids are a tiny minority.  There's this widespread belief by people who haven't been to college recently (or at all) that the universities are bastions of overwhelming liberal supermajorities, and that's simply not true.  Speaking as a guy who was actually a member of a radical leftist student group just a couple of years ago, the vast majority of college students don't give a shit about politics.  The problem that activist groups always face is overwhelming apathy in the general student body about political issues.  Most of the kids simply don't care about anything beyond their schoolwork and personal lives.  I've seen countless cultural or political events with embarrassingly small crowds, and offhand I can't recall any which had even one-tenth the turnout that shows up for the football games.
I totally see that. When I was in college, there were protesters*, but they were in the minority. I'm totally cool with protest. I'm just a bit baffled at the illiberal attitudes some of them have.

*It's weird, I saw a relatively small protest once. I think it was about the Iraq war, but it was hard to tell because there were several signs protesting other issues. Pick one and choose folks.

• KOAB
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:20:32 AM »
liberal

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
These two had a pretty interesting discussion on this and similar topics going on at colleges.

Christina Sommers is an author and former philosophy professor known for her writings about feminism in contemporary American culture.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 04:15:12 AM »
I think trigger warnings were first created to help people with PTSD. I don't know much about them, as I've been out of academia for a while now.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 04:27:02 AM »
I have PTSD. I deal with it every day. Trigger warnings are for pussies.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 01:43:30 AM »
So, there's been shit going down in Brown University. Some moments/quotes
When Brown University provost Richard Locke asks if they could have a conversation, as opposed to the shouting, he is met in the video with several shouts of “no.” A male student says, “Heterosexual white males have always dominated the space.”

When Locke appears to correct him and say he is not heterosexual, the student responds, “Well, homosexual, it don’t matter. White males are at the top of the hierarchy. Cis gender white males are at the top of the hierarchy.”

Even though he has critiques of the university’s plan, a Brown professor, speaking on condition of anonymity to The Daily Beast, noted that “it’s very clear the draft was developed in good faith.” That’s why he finds the interactions in the video “disturbing.”

“If you’re dealing with someone acting in good faith, and students are responding with rudeness, ultimatums, yelling, and screaming, it’s very discouraging,” he said.

Outrage over minority oppression was already hitting a point unlike any he had witnessed during his more than 25 years at Brown (where this author’s brother is a student).

He recounted interacting with a student this past semester who argued that there was tremendous inequality for minorities at Brown.

She, herself, was not a minority, but told him that “you can’t understand because you haven’t walked in the shoes of the people who have experienced those [inequalities].”
When he countered with what he called “gentle pushback,” he said the student promptly “burst into tears.”

I asked him if he had ever such a tearful interaction with students before then. He said he had not.

Again, I can understand why some students are upset. They absolutely have the right to protest and voice their displeasure. I'm 100% for that. My issue here is shouting at people or in some incidents, literally crying when confronted with opinions and views that don't gel with your own. It's like we are losing the ability to have a calm, rational debate.

• KOAB
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 05:22:07 AM »
Critical thinking skills are at an all-time low.  They seemed to be much smarter back in the 60s, all the student protest people were actually pretty sharp and could process different viewpoints in a much more mature fashion.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 05:36:17 AM »
I also notice that sometimes the media blows these things up as if they are representative of an entire "college campus" but when you finally get a hold of footage of the actual incident, it's maybe 20-25 people max participating in the protest, but because it fits the "college campuses are libruuul institutions" the corporate media will cover it like the entire school had been taken over and the truth is more like, nah....just a small corner of Quad area #47 for an hour.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 05:45:48 AM »
As far as older-white men going conservative at an older age, I think there is possibly a lot to it. I think to a certain extent when you exit middle-age or at least are at the very edge of it prior to becoming elderly there is a natural belief or instinct that the world around you is changing and you are losing your grip on things.  It can start with that and breed the "back in my daaaaay" but then that is usually just innocent banter, however you combine that with the right-wing noise machine constantly hammering away that things like equality and civil rights are really just schemes by minorities to take over and it could breed the fear and anger where it isn't warranted.

Also, I never understood why it was so hard for white males (of any age, save maybe children and elderly folks) to understand that, yes, with equality for everyone things are in fact going to get a little more difficult for the specific breed of human being that has traditionally been given all the advantages throughout history.  So fucking what? Having every advantage and leg up on women and minorities since the dawn of this country wasn't enough to have you living the good life in 2015? Too bad. It's time to acknowledge that those artificial built-in advantages should have never truly existed in the first place.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
Critical thinking skills are at an all-time low.  They seemed to be much smarter back in the 60s, all the student protest people were actually pretty sharp and could process different viewpoints in a much more mature fashion.
A part of me looks at it like this-some of the professors are afraid to speak up. That's why some of them are trying to remain anonymous-if they do speak up, and their identity is revealed, then some of these students are going to both demand an apology from the school, and will then demand that the person who said it immediately step down and then be replaced by somebody of their preference.

This is also worrisome to me because it kind of shields some of these kids from what life after college will be like. Sure, some of them are doing this now, but what happens to them after this? Do they become old conservative bores their parents became? Or do they try to do this in say, the workplace, and then find out that this kind of shit doesn't fly in the real world?

As far as older-white men going conservative at an older age, I think there is possibly a lot to it. I think to a certain extent when you exit middle-age or at least are at the very edge of it prior to becoming elderly there is a natural belief or instinct that the world around you is changing and you are losing your grip on things.  It can start with that and breed the "back in my daaaaay" but then that is usually just innocent banter, however you combine that with the right-wing noise machine constantly hammering away that things like equality and civil rights are really just schemes by minorities to take over and it could breed the fear and anger where it isn't warranted.

Also, I never understood why it was so hard for white males (of any age, save maybe children and elderly folks) to understand that, yes, with equality for everyone things are in fact going to get a little more difficult for the specific breed of human being that has traditionally been given all the advantages throughout history.  So fucking what? Having every advantage and leg up on women and minorities since the dawn of this country wasn't enough to have you living the good life in 2015? Too bad. It's time to acknowledge that those artificial built-in advantages should have never truly existed in the first place.
Look, as I have said before, I understand and sympathize with those who have been discriminated against. I agree that conservative media has a way at looking at this in too much of a one sided manner. I'm not siding with racists/homophobes in any way, shape or form (I also worry that I'm starting to repeat myself, and that this is becoming a mix of walking on egg shells/circular arguments)

However, even if it's a small amount of students on these campuses-I feel like it's bad to ignore this and act like there isn't a negative side to this. Nor do I feel that we should accept some of the more censor happy part of this campus culture. As I said, it is absolutely right to speak of against injustice. But to then demand people be fired, that certain articles or books should be published or shown, or to not teach students about certain historical figures because of their less than savory (or in current vernacular, "problematic") actions or views-I'm sorry, but I find that to be troubling.

This also isn't just another liberal vs. conservative talking point. To yell at someone or try to shut them up or censor them because of their views-no matter how incorrect you may feel it is-actually goes against the largely liberal concept of freedom of speech. One that specifically says that while you have the right to be offended by somebody else's opinions, but that person has the right to say those opinions regardless of what others may be. Is an article written in defense of Columbus Day stupid? Yes, it is for a multitude of reasons. However, it is somebody's opinion, and they should have the right to speak it on a college campus. To try and stifle somebody else's point of view just because it doesn't work for others is illiberal, and goes against the battle for freedom of speech that those of us that are liberal and on the left fight for.

This also leads to another argument I have-that a lot of people nowadays don't actually understand what the first amendment is, and what it actually stands for. Like, let's say someone is invited to a college for a debate. Now, let's say said person has some rather controversial opinions. Ones that you yourself don't share. However, you recognize that they were invited, that they have the right to that opinion, and hey, it's a debate. A good healthy debate is always a good thing.

However, let's now say some students are unhappy that this person is going to be on campus. Never mind that they were invited, that it's for a debate, and that there are likely others on campus who may share this person's opinion. This is all fine until their voices start getting louder...and louder...and louder. Soon, this becomes a very apparent problem. What do you do-go on with the debate as planned, or cave in to pressure?

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
You go on with it. Let the kind of student that would try to censor anything know that the real world will laugh at them and go on.

Odd how the "super liberal" types are starting to more closely resemble Fox News talking heads than rational, intelligent beings, eh?

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »
To be honest the extreme left has been extremely grating and annoying since forever.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »
You go on with it. Let the kind of student that would try to censor anything know that the real world will laugh at them and go on.

Odd how the "super liberal" types are starting to more closely resemble Fox News talking heads than rational, intelligent beings, eh?
Well, as smitty said, it's mostly on college campuses, and when it gets outside of there (such as some of social media or websites like Salon), it really isn't taken that seriously. However, that doesn't mean that it's a problem. Also, to be honest, a little of this is kinda "Gary doesn't understand kids these days", but I do think that this is something that needs to be talked about.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
I pretty much agree with everything Gary said, and agree with still fly that the far left is generally pretty annoying.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
Extremists on both sides can be pretty annoying. Extremism in general is pretty annoying.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 09:40:36 PM »
Luckily, in the US, far left extremists are mostly relegated to college campuses. Far right extremists run major congressional committees.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 01:19:30 AM »
Luckily, in the US, far left extremists are mostly relegated to college campuses. Far right extremists run major congressional committees.
Say... that is lucky!  :o

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 01:18:38 AM »
I thought about whether or not I should bump this page, but then I decided "sure, why not?"

So, in Emory, someone wrote "Vote Trump" and "Trump 2016"  in chalk on campus. Some of the students were not particularly thrilled about this, which I don't mind. However, I then hear some saying things like this:

In response, a few dozen students gathered at the school's administration building later that day, holding signs that read "Stop Trump" and "Stop Hate." According to the paper, the activists shouted, "You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain!"

I have said many a thing about Trump. None of it positive. However, this is how I feel:

1.) It's just his name. If this were a homophobic, misogynistic or racial epithet, I would be more understanding. Besides, while I hate the man and everything he represents, people on campus also have the right to voice support for him, as he is a candidate.

2.) A factor I feel people are ignoring is this: this really doesn't hurt Trump. If anything, this kind of helps him in the eyes of his supporters. He's claims to be fighting this crusade against "political correctness", which is pretty much false (Speaking out against racist, anti Muslim, anti women rhetoric isn't really political correctness IMO-that's just being a decent human being), so when his supporters see this, it only makes him stronger. This ultimately helps him more than hinders him.

So, TL;DR-I feel this is a bit of an overreaction, and this isn't going to hurt Trump. Or, you could just read this article.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 03:17:03 AM »
#CrossTheLine

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 03:22:32 AM »
It's long and all over the place and it's all dementedly great so it's worth reading the whole thing. I especially liked the part where he goes from TNA and pro wrestling to everyone being a mark which is what SJW's are to them being like KKK guys who pull over and kill black people. I MEAN WTF KIND OF DRUGS IS THIS GUY ON I WANT SOME

The URL really should have emphasized that this interview is being conducted by Alex Jones, because maybe the biggest piece of news from this article is that he thinks TNA 'is great' because he's 'seen it'.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
Oh LOL Alex Jones.  Just imagine Eric Idle saying "Say no more, say no more!" every time his name is mentioned, to put the inevitable insanity in its proper context. 

It is astonishing how common the "today's leftists are just like yesterday's radical violent right-wingers" talking point has become, as if complaining about societal oppression from the majority is the same thing as being the oppressive majority.  The sheer number of people who try to pretend like the Democrats today are seriously the same party as the Democrats who started the KKK over a century ago is just amazing, tons of people really push that bullshit.  And of course you get terms like "feminazi" and the endless comparisons of LGBT rights crusaders to Nazis as well, totally ignoring the fact that the REAL Nazis fucking hated feminism and executed homosexuals by the thousands in the concentration camps. 

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
I find it kind of funny how Jones endorsed Rand Paul-then soon jumped on the Trump train while Paul was still running. Ultimate snake oil salesman.

As for Corgan-hey Billy, there's a difference between dumb college students that get offended over the smallest things and whatever you are saying. Also, if you unironically say "Social Justice Warrior", then you have lost whatever argument you are trying to make.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV

Offline Saddam of the 909

• Admin
koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest