Author Topic: The Panama Papers  (Read 1447 times)

Description: The Biggest Leak In History

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
The Panama Papers
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »
I couldn't wait any longer 909!

This is a gigantic story and only getting bigger. Here's the big link http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/articles/56febff0a1bb8d3c3495adf4/

A bit of a primer: http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-panama-papers

The Panama Papers are an unprecedented leak of 11.5m files from the database of the world’s fourth biggest offshore law firm, Mossack Fonseca. The records were obtained from an anonymous source by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, which shared them with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). The ICIJ then shared them with a large network of international partners, including the Guardian and the BBC.
What do they reveal?

The documents show the myriad ways in which the rich can exploit secretive offshore tax regimes. Twelve national leaders are among 143 politicians, their families and close associates from around the world known to have been using offshore tax havens.

That list of major world figures that are involved is gigantic (Jackie fucking Chan!) and keeps growing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_in_the_Panama_Papers

Major non-politicos: Jackie Chan, Lionel Messi, David Geffen, Tina Turner, lots of FIFA leaders and business types and in one of the big reveals Putin's best buddy has been managing roughly 2 Billion of his money for him.

The politician list is huge and already has had some effect as Iceland's PM has resigned over it: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-panama-tax-idUSKCN0X10C2 the list is so big I won't post it all but Putin, Assad, Mubarak, Cameron, tons of big names are linked to this story.

This is a giant story right here so anyone with more fun links please add.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Re: The Panama Papers
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
http://www.wired.com/2016/04/bernie-sanders-panama-papers-told/

Also, I'm glad Messi won't be able to take the high road now when insulting Ronaldo and his character. Ronaldo has always cared about the disadvantaged imo, he would never steal money from them.

Cameron is no surprise to me, I don't think people realize how corrupt this guy really is.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
I'm really surprised there isn't more Canadians on the list but then again Revenue Canada doesn't go after wealthy tax evaders.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »
There is a real lack of Americans too so I'm thinking they're either using a different bank or it's going to come out soon. There's so many questions on this. Canadians and Americans definitely are out there hiding money but there's a lot of options. Also this won't be the only place these people have their assets. You don't put all your eggs in one basket and hopefully this will lead to the other places.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »
There is a real lack of Americans too

http://reason.com/blog/2016/04/04/panama-papers-previews-what-donald-trump

interesting reading, I haven't analyzed it thoroughly though

Offline Brooklyn Cienfuegos

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »
Bernie knew!!

Offline Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
Panama was created in the first place for the purpose of money laundering and making a country where banks could get away with grey area activity. Everyone should know about it. Read the history books, brothers. You think Panama has developed because it's in the interest of Panamanians? Hell nah.

Sanders criticized a free trade agreement with Panama but this has been going on for so much longer than that and the two are not related.

Cities that pop up out of nowhere, cities that look like this, like a Miami, Panama City, Las Vegas, Acapulco, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuala Lumpur, they are all founded with the purpose of and funded by criminal activity. I could post more pictures, but the point is that these cities are built by corrupt people who operate on a different playing field than the general public, who steal money from the public, don't pay their taxes, and engage in unfettered illegal activity. The gap from cities like these to the poorest areas in these countries and our country is incredible.

The whole world is corrupt and everyone in power is corrupt. Anyone who comes into power will be corrupted. The Prime Minister in Iceland ran on being incorruptible, everyone believed him, and there was absolutely no proof to the contrary until this leak. The guy was cleaner than clean in every way except for this singular exposed file that tied him directly to illegal activity. The thing is, you can't really stop it. There's always going to be a country out there that benefits from being a haven for the rich, it's good business for somebody. There's always a country where people can find a grey area or some legal means to avoid paying their fair share, too.

Every politician is in on something shady as well. Don't care who they are or what they say. Politicians are also so disconnected from the general public that they can get into these situations and become so blinded as to what they're actually doing that they don't really think they're doing anything wrong. To make any deal with any country for anything is to do something wrong, to go buy a shirt made in a country that employs slave labor is doing something wrong. Everyone's cool with it though. I just try to not think about that shit and go about my day.

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »
In case nobody believes me about how long this went on at this firm, there's stuff in the leaks pertaining to Stanley Kubrick and I'm pretty sure he's been dead for a while.

Offline Brooklyn Cienfuegos

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:07:58 AM »
There's only one politician who never gets dirty

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 03:44:30 AM »
This kind of thing makes Trump being hated by the elite make more sense to me. Given that Trump is one of the corrupt elite and is a loose cannon when he talks, they're afraid he's going to say too much and blow the top off the whole thing. Or that once he gets in there and denounces all his previous business interests, he turns around and goes after them for political points.

Offline Gary

• I Have Fought Against It, But I Can't Any Longer.
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »
oops, wrong thread

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 05:30:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/hashtag/resigncameron?src=tren

I wonder how this will effect the EU referendum.

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:27 AM »
They'll leave the EU now given he was the conservative voice of reason as far as that went. When he resigns he'll be replaced by someone far more in favor of leaving.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 05:48:37 AM »
It's ok he says he got out before he was elected. Nothing to see here.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 06:13:09 AM »
Here's the fallout by country so far btw: http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/08/fallout-from-panama-papers-revelations-so-far-country-by-country

For more on Cameron and where his family got their money this covers it http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/06/the-cameron-network-inherited-wealth-and-family-companies

Maybe the most interesting reaction:
What did we learn?

Azerbaijan’s ruling first family, the Aliyevs, have a huge offshore business empire. It includes banking, telecoms, goldmines and London mansions. Among the Panama Papers is a Mossack Fonseca firm called Exaltation Ltd. It belongs to President Aliyev’s socialite daughters, Leyla and Arzu. It was set up in 2015 to hold UK property. The upmarket Knightsbridge solicitors who registered it, Child & Child, claimed wrongly that the two women had no political connections.

What happened next?

A small war. Fighting raged for four days between Azerbaijan and Armenia in the contested Nagorno-Karabakh region. Regime critics say the flare-up was designed to distract from the Panama Papers. Whether this is true or not, the country has a lousy human rights record. Azerbaijani authorities have shut down critical media organisations and jailed prominent journalists, bloggers, and freedom-of-expression advocates.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• the whole thing is tainted with the memory of the farts
  • stares Trick Daddily
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
That`s interesting, I hadn`t read about the possible link between the Panama Papers leaks and the flare up in Nagorno Karabakh. Thanks for sharing. This is a hot spot that no one really talks about, and risks boiling over into a wider war given Turkish support for Azerbaijan and Russian support for Armenia.
All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 11:21:23 PM »
Yeah I saw that in the news and it seems important but like how most young people get their news from the Daily Show, I get my news from TRTSM so I don't know much about it.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
one of the main journalists involved in this got killed by a 'text message' bomb.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/assassins-killed-panama-papers-journalist-text-message-bomb-article-1.3680600

no words

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
I think my long, half drunk post earlier in this thread holds a lot more validity now.

And if you think a super elite rich person will get in trouble for hiring assassins even if they have them caught dead to rights, welp you haven't learned anything yet.