Author Topic: Devos Confirmed by Pence Vote  (Read 2811 times)

Description:

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

Devos Confirmed by Pence Vote
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:06 AM »
DeVos successfully bought the Secretary of Education position, as Mike Pence voted to break a 50-50 tie.

Offline Damaramu

Re: Devos Confirmed by Pence Vote
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:53:48 AM »
All hail our new religious text books and curriculum.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:17:52 AM »
200 million dollars to get nationally embarrassed.  At least she got her tax break.

Meanwhile I was on a pro Trump site and the Military budget came up. They were ranting we need Reagan Cold War budgets and I posted a Ron Paul article explaining we are spending 7 percent more than peak Reagan spending. I was then scolded for not serving my country and told to STFU. 

Sigh.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:56:37 AM »
The Betsy Devos thing deserves its own thread (this can be broken off into one). Education is F-U-C-K-E-D.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
at least you spelled it right, maybe it won't be so bad.

if i stop posting, you know they got me

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
We will be ok guys: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/upshot/why-donald-trumps-education-pick-would-face-barriers-for-vouchers.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

The United States spends over $600 billion a year on public K-12 schools. Less than 9 percent of that money comes from the federal government, and it is almost exclusively dedicated to specific populations of children, most notably students with disabilities and students in low-income communities. There are no existing federal funds that can easily be turned into vouchers large enough to pay for school tuition on the open market.

Mr. Trump’s $20 billion proposal would be, by itself, very expensive. It may be hard to fit into a budget passed by a Republican Congress that has pledged to enact large tax cuts for corporations and citizens, expand the military and eliminate the budget deficit, all at the same time. Yet $20 billion isn’t nearly enough to finance vouchers nationwide, which is why Mr. Trump’s proposal assumes that states will kick in another $110 billion.

Well, unless your state is dumb

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
I am a little perplexed as to why Devos even wants the position in the first place?  Is it merely a money-making scheme to hear where she will reverse all the heat put on her for-profit scam institutions?
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »
She's a Creationist who wants to expand Jesus based education nationwide.

Look at the Middle East. Look what happened when fundamentalists gained power 40ish years ago.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
The Betsy Devos thing deserves its own thread (this can be broken off into one). Education is F-U-C-K-E-D.

here you go

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »
The majority of the country seemed to be squarely against her appointment. Even most casual Republicans seemed to think she was batshit insane. I don't see how this could have happened. Well yeah, I do know, it's just...man...

Mandatory prayer in all classrooms! Yay! Can't wait for all the Muslims to surrender to Jesus.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
Post sig

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
The majority of the country seemed to be squarely against her appointment. Even most casual Republicans seemed to think she was batshit insane. I don't see how this could have happened. Well yeah, I do know, it's just...man...

Mandatory prayer in all classrooms! Yay! Can't wait for all the Muslims to surrender to Jesus.

$200,000,000 is the ultimate qualification during a Republican job interview.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
It's a good thing the Bible doesnt say anything against covetousness!

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.
  • LEFT IS THE BEST
Hillary is sour grapes.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 01:22:22 AM »
The majority of the country seemed to be squarely against her appointment. Even most casual Republicans seemed to think she was batshit insane...

How are we meant to reconcile this notion with the fact that she actually got the job? If even 'casual' Republicans were against it, wouldn't they have contacted their representatives and tell them not to confirm her?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:32:17 AM »
at this point the insanity going on here is only going to hurt Mr. President Trump, right?

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 01:54:17 AM »
So from what I've been reading she won't have a department to head up before too long anyway.
How do you guys feel about the notion to abolish the Department of Education and leave it completely up to the states?

I see broke ass schools and religious curriculum.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »
The majority of the country seemed to be squarely against her appointment. Even most casual Republicans seemed to think she was batshit insane...

How are we meant to reconcile this notion with the fact that she actually got the job? If even 'casual' Republicans were against it, wouldn't they have contacted their representatives and tell them not to confirm her?

I meant against her in the sense that every article or comment I've read had nothing positive to say about her. There was not one single piece of text that had anything nice to say about her appointment and from the people I've personally interacted with that lean more right, they all thought she was unfit. Obviously, a lot of people didn't feel strongly enough to do anything (among other things) to actually block her from coming in, but opinion of her seemed to be universally negative.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 03:24:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/829008961550553093

wut

The replies with the pics of her with Putin and Flynn are pretty funny though.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 03:30:45 AM »
So if everyone thinks she's unfit, then why didn't at least one more Republican...just ONE more...vote "no?" Because they're all afraid of the Manchild-in-Chief's petty, public retaliation?

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 03:33:13 AM »
So if everyone thinks she's unfit, then why didn't at least one more Republican...just ONE more...vote "no?" Because they're all afraid of the Manchild-in-Chief's petty, public retaliation?

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 03:46:32 AM »
at this point the insanity going on here is only going to hurt Mr. President Trump, right?

Our President is such a narcissistic, impulsive, idiot with designs on creating a dictatorship that I'm not sure there would be one American left unscathed by this Presidency. He's fucking things up on economic, domestic, international and social policy levels. There isn't one corner of American life he hasn't urinated on already (and we know how he likes seeing people get peed on). Hell, the potential for large numbers non-Americans to be impacted negatively by Trump is likely also significant. He wouldn't start a war over ego? He totally would. He probably will. He's also going to get played like a puppet by Putin (who, probably better than anyone, understood how if you do something big for Trump, he'll reward you generously). And whenever he leaves office, things won't improve overnight. We're going to feel these aftershocks for a long time. Like an oil spill or Chernobyl, this mess is going to take a very long time to clean up once it's over. This man is going to globally set the human race back. I'm becoming convinced of this. The only question is just how far back.

(I know there's a lot of hysteria and anxiety in this post. I'm just going to need to vent into the ether from time to time. Thanks.) 

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 04:23:47 AM »

$200,000,000 buys a lot of support.

Online 209

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 04:26:07 AM »
Almost everyone in the Senate on both sides sends their kids to private school.

They are out of touch. It's one of the only things Trump was right about, but he's just as out of touch as the rest of them so it's comical he would make that argument.

Bobby: Not that much. I check out the sites on occasion but I'm not big into computers. I've actually tried going into wrestling chat rooms on occasion. From what I've seen, everyone's swearing at one another and no one is talking about wrestling.

http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/eaton.htm

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 04:34:17 AM »
even worse that it worked lol  :'(

lol!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 04:35:54 AM »
Republicans trotting out candidates that think the Department of Education should be abolished for the past three election cycles has probably convinced many red state voters that that should be the case, so

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 04:39:12 AM »
Those are the states that would suffer the most so fuck em

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
Those are the states that would suffer the most so fuck em

But we're in this situation today because people in those states are low-information morons that believe in bullshit to begin with! There isn't an IQ cutoff for voter registration, so do we really want them getting even dumber?

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 06:50:35 AM »
I'm in one of those states and I have a 6 year old in school here. Oh boy I can't wait until he comes home with a religious textbook and tries to teach me about Noah's Ark.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »
Almost everyone in the Senate on both sides sends their kids to private school.

They are out of touch. It's one of the only things Trump was right about, but he's just as out of touch as the rest of them so it's comical he would make that argument.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say.  They don't give a shit because it doesn't affect them.  The Republican Senators are still gonna get their votes, so they may as well toe the party line.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 06:55:35 AM »
I also don't think this is going to result overnight in schools teaching creationist junk and having prayer days and all that shit.  I think the public resistance will be enough to keep that from happening, even in states like Tennessee or Oklahoma.

Offline Gary

• It's a dangerous line of work...
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
Every time I look at the title of this thread, I think "TRTSM poster Devo got the job?"

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline BigD

• TwistedMind/Intestine
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
It's pretty common for Canadians to go to Catholic school, or at least where and when I grew up. It honestly wasn't a big deal; say a prayer in the morning have a religion class, occasional mass. I now enjoy the benefit of being an athiest who could back his shit up having grown up studying the bible.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
Well played.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:48 AM »
It's pretty common for Canadians to go to Catholic school, or at least where and when I grew up. It honestly wasn't a big deal; say a prayer in the morning have a religion class, occasional mass. I now enjoy the benefit of being an athiest who could back his shit up having grown up studying the bible.

And none of them should receive public funding.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.
  • LEFT IS THE BEST
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »

A lot of AMericans go to Catholic schools too, which are generally fine. But we also have a growing cadre of evangelical Christian schools where you would get a very "unique" version of science and history.
Hillary is sour grapes.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »
I can see teachers and/or schools in certain regions of the country taking her nomination (and Trump's presidency) as license to start interjecting religion in the classroom regardless of existing laws or not.  Eventually it will blow up into a big issue, and knowing how things have gone so far, they will be ordered to stop by the courts, they will ignore the courts, and little will be done.   

Online 209

• Admin
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 07:09:08 AM »
They were already doing that.

Bobby: Not that much. I check out the sites on occasion but I'm not big into computers. I've actually tried going into wrestling chat rooms on occasion. From what I've seen, everyone's swearing at one another and no one is talking about wrestling.

http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/eaton.htm

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 07:28:47 AM »
Yeah thats been happening since at least the Bush administration.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
They were already doing that.

I am sure they were perhaps on a smaller scale, but I am thinking more will feel empowered that they have the backing of the white house and party in power it could become a bigger problem.

Offline Richard

• life sucks
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »
My mom saw a video of protestors blocking DeVos from entering a school. She tried to leave a comment, and it wouldn't let her. Then the video disappeared.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 05:55:48 AM »
If 8 protestors can stop someone from doing their job, Trump's team is in a lot of trouble.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
And then, today, she went and totally un-redeemed herself.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 01:07:00 AM »
Took too long.