Author Topic: Cartoons for Adults; From Simpsons to Bojack  (Read 709 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
Cartoons for Adults; From Simpsons to Bojack
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:15:04 AM »
We have an anime thread and South Park usually gets a season thread but the animation domination threads died off and I don't know if we have enough interest to bring that back or for talk about all the other shows so I though I'd just make a larger thread.

I know we have some BoJack Horseman fans on the board. Easily one of my favourite shows cartoon or otherwise in the last few years.

Another great show is Rick and Morty. I just watched the season three premiere. I'm a sucker for sci-fi so this show is right up my alley. The inter-dimensional TV episodes are some of my favourite episodes of a cartoon in a long time.

I didn't think Archer was as good this last season but that's another show I enjoy. I also still enjoy American Dad, the only Seth McFarlane show I can say I really enjoy as Cleveland Show was always terrible and Family Guy has been bad for years. The Simpsons is mediocre.

Offline Incandenza

• View Profile
Re: Cartoons for Adults; From Simpsons to Bojack
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:20:21 AM »

Offline strummer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »
I actually caught an episode of .Family Guy awhile back for the first time in forever.  Just unbearingly bad.  Probably worse than the worst years of the Simpsons

Offline #The Return

• brock lock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:29 AM »

I'm ready to get emotionally devastated again.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/BrandonEsWolf/status/900031138294530048

Sheamus knows the greatness of Pickle Rick.

Offline muzzington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
Got into Rick and Morty heavily recently after seeing the first few episodes a while back and not feeling it. Now I love it. Couldn't believe Dan Harmon didn't do the voice of Rick.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
I got into Rick and Morty back in February, and it's my addiction now. I watch the entire run, including the new episodes once a week.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »
Yeah I got on the Rick and Morty train recently during a hulu trial, just ripped through it, so good.

Also recently started watching Archer, almost through season 4, loving it.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
few episodes into the new bojack season and enjoying it so far as expected.

Offline #The Return

• brock lock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »
I'm 8 episodes through Bojack and honestly this season is a let down compared to the other seasons. I'm enjoying the Bojack stuff, but the rest of the characters storylines are pretty dull to me.  Todd seems particularly useless this year and it's disappointing after I thought

Spoiler: show
the reveal of him being asexual in season 3 would give him more to do and give him more depth. He feels unneeded at this point with Mr. Peanut Butter serving as great comic relief while actually adding to the plot.

Speaking of ol' Mr. PB, the Governor subplot brings every episode to a hault. I've heard about 5000 comedic takes of the 2016 election and this one doesn't add anything. The scenes with him and Diane are good, but I was hoping the Governor subplot would've got dropped after episode 1.

Princess Caroline's storyline too could be interesting, but I find most of the characters she's with really dull.

Bojack/Hollyhock/Beatrice storyline is the highlight by far. I'm almost tuning out when the show isn't focusing on it.

The jokes aren't landing as much this time around either. Still some chuckles here and there but not much else. Jessica Biel might be the comedic highlight.

It's still good at times. Episode 6 was great, but it's not on the level of seasons 2 or 3 or the last half of the first season so far. Maybe the last four episodes will knock it out of the park.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »
 I don't really care about the other storylines although some of the princess carolyn stuff was good and the marriage stuff with diane and pb was too but the bojack and hollyhock stuff was great and the stuff with bojacks mother was really great.

The depiction of mental illness and depression this season was fucking devastating. BoJack's internal voice is dead-on from my personal experience. lots of other stuff too.

Offline #The Return

• brock lock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »
Episode 9 of Bojack

Okay, I spoke too soon on the Princess Caroline storyline. What a great episode.

Offline muzzington

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
I hadn't seen Red Dwarf for a long time even though I have most of it on DVD but it struck me recently how much of it felt connected to Rick and Morty. They haven't mentioned it as an influence but they're both some of my favourite shows of all time.

Offline Old school tough guy

• PosterFest Winner
  • Your POV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:27:17 AM »
THe Bojack episode on gun violence and 'thoughts and prayers' really feels poignant now.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
Yeah that episode was running through my head during all this for sure.

Rick and Morty season ended. Some great episodes but I think I liked previous seasons more.

Is anyone bothering with South Park this season?

Offline #The Return

• brock lock
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
I'm not even going to try this year. The last five or six years I always try South Park and end up losing interest before the season ends.

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
Rick and Morty season ended. Some great episodes but I think I liked previous seasons more.

Is anyone bothering with South Park this season?
I keep thinking "you know, I should watch more "Rick and Morty" sometime" but I never do. It's one of those things I'm sure I'd enjoy but I never get around to it.

"South Park" has had two "meh" episodes (the season premiere and the third-though the former was interesting in that it felt like Randy was the straight man speaking for Matt and Trey ripping on white supremacist assholes and people who wave around the Confederate flag) and one great episode (the second episode made me laugh several times.) Honestly, I don't think they're going to be able to top season 19, and I kinda feel like if it had ended there, nobody would be complaining.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my uncle's barbeque grill and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

• View Profile