Author Topic: Misc Netflix TV/Movie Thread  (Read 300 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Misc Netflix TV/Movie Thread
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:09:51 PM »
The old thread was over 20 pages and we need one for the shows that wouldn't get a thread on their own.

Death Note (2017 US)
I watched the adaptation of Death Note last note with William Dafoe as the voice of the demon. It was so bad. The only person in this who didn't seem to be sleepwalking or terrible was the girl playing Mia. Everyone else was bad or had nothing to work with. The changes to make it more "American" didn't really work and some of the other changes ruined what was good about Death Note. Just a really bad movie.

2/10

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Re: Misc Netflix TV/Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
I was about to put Death Note in the bad movies thread to be honest. But nice this thread was started as there is alot of either unknown gems on Netflix, or plain bad stuff like Death Note was.

This was, at one point, supposed to be a theatrical release I believe, but Netflix picked it up for some reason. There was some interesting elements that could have been awesome if done in a certain way, but ultimately nothing really came together in this one.

It felt like there would be plans for a followup film or series based off of this one, but I really hope it doesnt happen. They ruined the adaptation tenfold.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:14 AM »
I think I might get addicted to "terrace house". If The Real World is "where people stop being polite..." this is the exact opposite of that but it's so much REALER. When they say it isn't scripted I completely believe it. I don't know if this could work outside of Japan because virtually any other country would have people that would be trying to get attention and make themselves famous. Everything I've read about Terrace House makes it seem like the episodes I've watched are typical. It's real people just living their lives and if there's a minor disagreement they...resolve it.

That sounds boring but it's oddly interesting. It's like the first few seasons of the Real World but even more chill and passive aggressive because Japan. They also have a panel of comedians they'll cut to a couple times an episode that rip on everyone and I wasn't sure I'd like them but they're pretty funny.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »
So I really really loved "altered carbon". Totally binged it. Great sci-fi concepts thrown in and the actors did a fun job.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
Yeah, I'm on the 5th episode of Altered Carbon now. It definitely has a very Bladerunner Future Techno Noir vibe going on. The plot can be followed although the first episode was a little over my head (it threw a LOT of exposition at the viewer) but I mostly have it figured out by now.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:18 AM »
Really excited to get Altered Carbon going asap. I'm a huge Blade Runner mark so it should be right up my alley.

So did anyone attempt to watch (and explain the nonsense in their head?) The Cloverfield Paradox. Paradox indeed as this seemed to be a real head scratcher in what the hell was all going on here. It took me many articles of breaking down the mythology end of stuff for me to realize WTF was even going on half the time. I probably did myself no favors watching the first two Cloverfield films ahead of time as those were solid....and this was pretty much trash. I can see why it was rushed to Netflix clearly.

The characters were so not fleshed out for the most part, and it created a real confusion on what was all really going on, and in what timeline/universe they were in, etc. The last few seconds were a fun wink wink but getting there was endlessly ridiculous.

I guess this finally explained in a sense how (at least somewhat) that the monsters came to attack Earth, but there is still a TON of Cloverfield backstory to figure out to say the least.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:04 AM »
yeah it got mentioned a little in one of the other threads. I thought the first half was good and then it fell apart. All of the cloverfield mythos stuff was just jammed in there basically so it makes sense it was confusing as hell.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:34:01 AM »
Finished up Altered Carbon and greatly enjoyed it. If you're a fan of Bladerunner or into Noir, you should definitely watch this.