Author Topic: Have you "cut the cord"?  (Read 718 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
Have you "cut the cord"?
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:58:19 PM »
How many people have become full or partial "cord cutters" at this point? cord-cutters for those that don't know are: In broadcast television, cord-cutting refers to the pattern of viewers, referred to as cord cutters, cancelling their subscriptions to multichannel subscription television services available over cable, dropping expensive pay television channels or reducing the number of hours of subscription TV viewed in response to competition from rival media available over the Internet.

I'm most interested in people who have canceled/dropped traditional media (of any kind so also say newspapers or paying for physical comics/books) in favour of going full or partially the other way.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
Re: Have you "cut the cord"?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »
I haven't made the transition the whole way by any means but I've seriously cut back on my traditional media consumption. A couple years ago we probably cut our cable package in half and while we've shuffled the channels around within the new package once or twice to get it right we haven't missed the actual number of channels we lost and we could honestly stand losing a lot more.

I prefer physical books but I read comics on my tablet now except when i can get them via my excellent library system (everyone should check out their libraries it's crazy what you can get at them now).

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 01:59:46 AM »
We are about to. Cable is ridiculous. But it's gonna be a transition. Honestly, once slingtv and direct now get MSG for knick games, we will probably make the switch. There's only like 12 channels I like

Offline what.the.hell.have.i

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:21:39 AM »
I haven't had cable TV since 2014 and I do not miss it at all.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:41:35 AM »
I've switched around like CWM as far as channel fits but I cut the cord on stuff like Showtime and Newspapers (my parents still get the Sunday Globe IIRC). I also used to collect individual comic issues mostly of Harley Quinn but a few Batman as well and I've shifted solely to the Graphic Novel trades now partly for the quality/ease of use and partly because it sometimes includes different stuff e.g. an issue that's hard to find or alternate covers/panels that didn't make the issue(s).

Offline Hawk 34

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »
I've found that in many cases, people are now spending just as much if not more with all the abundant streaming services available as they were with cable.

However it's justified due to the perception of personal choice.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
I reduced my cable package earlier this year for a promotional rate and am probably going to ask for the most basic package when that runs out.  I really only watch live sports, RAW and SD with cable and I probably could just dump the whole thing for something like PlayStation Vue.  The only thing that worries me is data caps becoming a thing everywhere as cable companies desperately try to gouge their customers as much as they can before becoming irrelevant.

Offline fazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
I haven't had cable TV for a little over 2 years now.  The only inconvenience is live sports, but there's plenty of ways to view them online.

Online Aero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
I came close to cancelling my cable a few weeks ago after my cable company raised the monthly fee for the second year in a row. Like many, they offer a 'triple play' service as their standard bundle, which includes TV, internet, and phone, and the package is cheaper than paying for just TV and internet. I figured I wasn't going to get far negotiating my bill, so I was ready to cancel services down to just internet and try Playstation Vue if need be.

Sure enough, explaining the situation on the phone went nowhere, and I was offered a $10 discount on my current monthly bill. I told them I'd stop by the store later to drop off my cable equipment and cancel my service. Re-explaining the situation in person at the store magically allowed me to only cancel the phone service and drop a movie channel package that was an add-in from the previous year, which resulted in about a $50 reduction on my monthly bill, putting me right around the range I'd be paying for internet and Vue anyway.

Sports are pretty much the only thing I go out of my way to watch on TV anymore, and anything else is generally through streaming services. But honestly, I really do just prefer the convenience of having cable, so I was glad I didn't have to cancel it. Looking forward to the same song and dance next year, I guess.

Online 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
I've found that in many cases, people are now spending just as much if not more with all the abundant streaming services available as they were with cable.

However it's justified due to the perception of personal choice.

This is the reason we're not cutting the cord. If we had three or four people watching different stuff at the same time we'd need to upgrade our internet first of all. Then add in the other stuff and keep the payments straight? Totally not worth it.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
Relying on streams to watch important sporting events is a major pain in the ass, so I am not going to be cutting it anytime soon.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »
Sports and the WWE Network are the only reason we still have cable.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:01:22 AM »
sports and wwe are probably the biggest reason I've kept it as well. that and hbo canada. I'm not a big fan of having a 1-2 minute lag on sports and raw like i was having for awhile when I had the cable package without raw for awhile.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 01:14:44 AM »
No, because I watch too many live sports.  That makes up like 90% of what I watch.  Streaming is general inconvenient for that, although I will when I have to like this morning's Jaguars/Ravens game. 

If it wasn't for sports, I would have definitely moved on from traditional television.

Online Damaramu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 02:21:17 AM »
I cut the cord.  I'm happy I did. There hasn't been one sporting event or tv show I've missed since doing it either. 

I spend about $130 for the services and internet whereas my bill was $240 for cable and internet before.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 04:26:40 AM »
I've thought about it a few times, but I'm so accustomed to just turning on the TV and looking for something to watch or just putting something like Sportscentre on in the background while I'm getting ready for work in the morning that I think I would have trouble.

For things like sports, I pay for and use MLB.TV and (so far) Blue Jays games haven't been blacked out in Canada, but there's enough of a delay and I usually have Twitter open while watching that I don't think I could switch to that completely.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 05:21:39 AM »
DVR and being able to easily flip back and forth are two more selling points for me.  Essentially, I pay 170 dollars a month because of sports.

Offline Sabre

• That's How I Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »
Yup, Im not a big lover of general TV, i usually only watch the normal.. Game of Thrones etc etc which we all know are available by other means.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 07:52:29 AM »
My mother cut cable in 2009 when I was still living in her house. I missed it for the first few weeks because I was a big movie watcher so not having HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc. really bothered me and of course, Raw and Smackdown. I signed up for Netflix and it was the best cure. When I moved into my own place in 2013, having cable wasn't even on my mind. I did think about getting an affordable sports package so I can follow the Knicks but realized it wouldn't have been worth it.

Offline Japanese subway molester Shinju Omigawa

• Robert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
Yes. I pay $80 for internet (60mbps), $11 for Hulu, and $33 for Vue which gives me sixty-six channels that have my local affiliates plus ESPN/NFL Network/Fox Sports/MLB Network/NBA Network. Plus, I have exodus on Kodi, wiping out the need for Netflix. By the end of my time with u-verse, I was paying $245 for their bundle that came with high-speed internet.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »
....there was a spat in the SFH house last night over this topic. I'd been saying we need to research Sling TV & an antenna et al... in conjunction with our existing Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix subscriptions as our Direct TV contract ended in August. Mrs. SFH did casual research with what we watch and the bundles we'd need, and determined we'd wind up stacking up to the same cost.

During one of the College games a Sling TV commercial came on. I heard her declare, "Hey this sounds like a great idea!"  :o

I hate to say it, but as a whole, I think people born in the 70s onward could probably pull this off with minimal inconvenience. I've already figured out that older generations are too hooked on what's playing "right now" and not going through the trouble of finding it. I know several parents/grandparents of peers that don't even use DVR in 2017. So I don't see them bothering with streaming services and the like.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
I've never had a DVR.  1) There aren't that many TV shows that I MUST SEE no matter what and 2) What shows I do miss I can usually find On-Demand or through a network's app or through YouTube (specifically when it comes to RAW & SD) within 48 hours.

Online NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
The main reason I haven't cut the cord, two main reasons actually, are live sports and the fact that I get unlimited data with a bundled Internet/TV service.

Last month I was about at approx 450gb downloaded.  The data cap for my plan is 250gb, but because I have internet bundled with Direct TV I get unlimited data.  I have no clue how I'd ever realistically reduce my data usage by 200GB if I had to.  A family of four, including two young daughters who have never lived in a world without digital content on demand? GTFO.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline fazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »
You can't get a different internet provider without a bullshit data cap?

Offline rollie

• ulfistgut
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 11:45:16 PM »
No TV package, not traditional subscription services either.

I torrent all my TV. For films there happens to be an amazing DVD rental place about 15 min walk from my house (that's also on my route to/from work) - probs spend the cost of a Netflix subscription (it's only a couple of pounds to rent a title) there a month. They have everything, it's a great place to browse (floor to ceiling racks of DVDs covering all the walls and a couple of cats running around) and the staff are knowledgeable as heck (I've gone in before with requests for suggestions like "I'm in a bad mood and want something uplifting but not shit" or "we're drunk and a group of guys, what should we watch"

So watch plenty stuff but it's all stuff I (or whoever I'm watching with) have chosen specifically to watch.  Times when I'd often put on the TV as background noise I put on music. Took a little while getting used to (especially when with company) but now aimlessly watching TV seems so pointless.
I guess it also helps that I'm not really into sports which is probably the biggest reason to have some sort of live TV package.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »
Yeah, if watching TV shows and movies were all I cared about, I would definitely not have cable.

Online Damaramu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:17 AM »
DVR and being able to easily flip back and forth are two more selling points for me.  Essentially, I pay 170 dollars a month because of sports.

This was a huge adjustment for me.

DVR isn't as big a deal because everything is generally available on demand from the various streaming services, but the ability to flip around or put something on for background noise was affected. But PlayStation Vue makes it a little easier to get that random TV channel background noise.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »
Putlocker and chill.
Randy!

Online Damaramu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 08:00:55 AM »
I feel like I was pulling Netflix and chill before it was a meme. Then again I was one of the many doing it that lead to it being a meme so there's that.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 03:48:12 PM »
Last time I used, "Let's watch a movie" and we did anything BUT watch the movie was in 2008. The movie was "The Eye" and terrible anyway. It was a DVD. Not sure if Netflix streaming was a thing yet.

Online Damaramu

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »
Last time I used, "Let's watch a movie" and we did anything BUT watch the movie was in 2008. The movie was "The Eye" and terrible anyway. It was a DVD. Not sure if Netflix streaming was a thing yet.

I never even picked good movies. I picked like 15 year old 90s comedies that everyone and their mother has seen 100 times. It wasn't hard to see what the intent was. Then I once had a girl use the move on me! She asked if I wanted to come over to watch Netflix. I get there, sit on the couch, the movie starts and 5 minutes later she's violently grabbing at me trying to suck my face off. I mean I did it, but I was a little scared at first. She Netflix and chilled me.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 03:40:37 AM »
I've only actually watched movies with girls I was comfortable with or dating for awhile. Every other time, five minutes into the film and the clothes came off. I was actually surprised how much this worked when I was in my mid-late 20's as it's such a teenager move.

Online Damaramu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 06:01:50 AM »
I've only actually watched movies with girls I was comfortable with or dating for awhile. Every other time, five minutes into the film and the clothes came off. I was actually surprised how much this worked when I was in my mid-late 20's as it's such a teenager move.

People like sex. Age doesn't matter.

That sounded really bad. What I meant to say is you don't outgrow sex and wanting to find a way to have it.

Offline A Happy Medium

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »
Don't bother with the sequel, but Zoolander was the go-to movie for me to get busy to ten years ago.

As for me, in order for it to make fiscal sense to cut the cord and go with something like Playstation Vue, I'd also have to change internet providers to get real savings and a slower speed.  The slower speed offered by AT&T would also probably prevent me from video gaming with friends online.  Also, the TV service plus gaming makes for a potential headache if you're sharing bandwidth...also if it's at a low cap.

Eventually, I'd like to get rid of the house phone and see a real discount.  However, my current provider seems to have made their good internet speed just expensive enough to cause Playstation Vue to be a price wash.  Another issue with Vue was that sports was 30-40 seconds behind live television, which made it annoying to keep up with the chat if we were watching March Madness. 

I did cut the cord back in a college apartment.  We spent forty bucks a month on decent internet and struggled with one of the early digital antennas while in rural, college town Texas.  You do get used to not having cable rather quickly, though.  You just need to budget yourself a sports bar outing once a week, or make friends with people who don't mind company to watch a game at their place.  But these days, you have HD streams everywhere.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 06:39:16 AM »
I'm at the verge of cutting the cord since Directv keeps upping rates and I've been loyal to them for years as a full scale customer, meaning I basically have every channel in their lineup except foreign channels. All of the movie channels I got (since I'm always on the look for random movies to DVR that I havent seen in eons and that arent on Netflix) and every regional sports channel (mostly for preseason NBA/MLB games and wrestling stuff on those channels) and every other channel otherwise in the lineup.

That said, I'm getting tired of the hikes and the fact that DTV makes no effort to actually give me a break at all on a service plan even though I have the motherload with them, over $200 a month.

I do really like the DVR Genie service though as it can store a lot of stuff on it, and there is great functionality with the reciever too.

Whenever I get a PS4, I might very well go to Vue service instead, mixed with Hulu and such.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 03:43:31 PM »
I remember the 90s when having a satellite was just the greatest thing ever. I knew a guy that lived at a campground but he had one of those pterodactyl bird bath sized satellites. He caught every channel on Earth with that thing and did not pay much at all. It was the first time I realized there were more than the 38 channels we caught on cable. Then my dad got ahold of some Radio Shack DIY Satellite system in '98. There was a port for a credit card sized access card. His friend reprogrammed the card allowing us access to every channel imaginable (including the best channels ever for a 17 year old), every sporting game, and free PPVs. The satellite version of the illegal black box. This was probably sketchy, at best, because about once a month his friend would have to reprogram it again.

Now, it's all the same red tape as cable. There's nothing special about it at all. You're literally getting the same service except Direct TV has Sunday Ticket for another $300.

I keep over thinking cutting the cord. I feel like it's just a different way to get bent over and screwed by them. They might be one step behind cord cutters right now, but it won't be long before they get the upper hand. Have you pirated anything lately? If you don't clear it IMMEDIATELY from your application, and have it uploading for any amount of time you're getting a cease and desist notice. So even if you wanted to go and risk THAT route, you better be hovering over your system.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 04:07:31 AM »
I remember the 90s when having a satellite was just the greatest thing ever. I knew a guy that lived at a campground but he had one of those pterodactyl bird bath sized satellites. He caught every channel on Earth with that thing and did not pay much at all. It was the first time I realized there were more than the 38 channels we caught on cable. Then my dad got ahold of some Radio Shack DIY Satellite system in '98. There was a port for a credit card sized access card. His friend reprogrammed the card allowing us access to every channel imaginable (including the best channels ever for a 17 year old), every sporting game, and free PPVs. The satellite version of the illegal black box. This was probably sketchy, at best, because about once a month his friend would have to reprogram it again.

Now, it's all the same red tape as cable. There's nothing special about it at all. You're literally getting the same service except Direct TV has Sunday Ticket for another $300.

I keep over thinking cutting the cord. I feel like it's just a different way to get bent over and screwed by them. They might be one step behind cord cutters right now, but it won't be long before they get the upper hand. Have you pirated anything lately? If you don't clear it IMMEDIATELY from your application, and have it uploading for any amount of time you're getting a cease and desist notice. So even if you wanted to go and risk THAT route, you better be hovering over your system.

Streaming sites are where it's at my friend.  Putlocker and chill
Randy!

Offline OldSchoolWrestling

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 02:06:03 AM »
Watching the World Series was the first time I saw ads for YouTube tv. Has anyone looked into this as they talk about being able to watch live sports though I’m assuming they mean those broadcast on the major networks?