Author Topic: Fantasy Genre - Books, Authors, Suggestions, etc  (Read 9588 times)

Description:

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
Re: Fantasy Genre - Books, Authors, Suggestions, etc
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »
Amazon has the kindle versions of all the Narnia books for $2 today. I never owned the books so I jumped on it - got the whole series for $14... can't beat that really.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
Anybody reading anything good lately?

I finished the three available Demon Cycle books by Peter V. Brett and really enjoyed those. I transitioned to the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and it's slower going getting through these. They aren't bad and there are parts I really enjoy but I felt like the first one had far too many twists and turns and was confusing at parts.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2013, 02:19:21 AM »
Seems like I'm mostly talking to myself in here, but if anyone is interested in a short and great read, I'd suggest "The Emperor's Soul" by Brandon Sanderson. In my opinion it was the 2nd best thing he did behind Way of Kings, and even above Mistborn.

At 174 pages, it's quite short. I read it all in one sitting and probably would have if it were 2x as long. I really, really enjoyed it. It's very creative.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2013, 02:25:32 AM »
I'm going to the bookstore today since I just got a bunch of book certificates for my birthday. I hadn't really been reading any new stuff lately. Mostly non-fiction from the library. If I get anything interesting I'll post it here.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »
Picked up:

Joe Abercrombie:  Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold,

Ian C Esslemont: Blood and Bone

Offline LPM

• Marka For La Parka
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 04:40:01 AM »
I loved Best Served Cold. A little long but amazing if you like Abercrombie's work. The next one after that (The Heroes) is great as well, though you may want a break between Abercrombie books to keep it fresh.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2013, 01:04:18 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/the-name-of-the-wind-playing-cards

I put $11 towards this to get a set of The Name of the Wind playing cards. One thing you can say about Rothfuss is that he works on some cool side projects based on his work.

Anybody read anything good lately? I really enjoyed the two books out in the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. I didn't like his first trilogy very much but this new series is off to a great start.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »
Get ready for some Kvothe on your TV screen!

Deadline has just announced that 20th Century Fox has optioned the television rights to Patrick Rothfuss’ epic fantasy trilogy The Kingkiller Chronicles to develop into an ongoing series. Eric Heisserer (Hours, The Thing) is attached to adapt the series as its executive producer.

The show will begin with the events of The Name of the Wind and follow through the other two books in the trilogy. No word yet on how the show will otherwise be structured, or if they will incorporate aspects of Rothfuss’ planned works after the Kingkiller trilogy.

Who would you cast?

Online Flik

• The Worst Poster In Crossfire
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »
This should be interesting because a lot of it is Kvothe monologuing, so translating that to TV will be interesting.

I'm not sure who you'd cast for Kvothe. If it plays out like the books do, it starts with Kvothe telling his story. So you'd need someone who can effectively look like a teenager all the way to someone being middle-aged.

Probably would need to cast someone unknown I think.

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • I'm BACK!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2013, 07:52:07 AM »
I haven't read through this thread, so I don't know if they've been mentioned yet, but "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan (and later Brandon Sanderson) is really good. 14 books in all and they are all between 600-1000 pages, but it's worth it.
Follow me on twitter @LaParkaYourCar

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »
Looking to pick up something and debating between a few series, anyone read Acacia, The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, The Prince of Nothing or Shadowmarch?

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »
I haven't read any of those. Series I would recommend would be the Demon Cycle books by Peter V. Brett or possibly the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.

I am just about done with the first book in Abercrombie's First Law series. I am enjoying it.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »
Looking to pick up something and debating between a few series, anyone read Acacia, The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, The Prince of Nothing or Shadowmarch?

Only read the first Acacia book but it was enjoyable. Kingdoms of T & B didn't knock my socks off but are solid Prince of Nothing is really good and the best on this list as is it's followup series, Shadowmarch was good but not fantastic. Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn is considered a classic fantasy series if you haven't read that.

I finally read the last book in the Wheel of Time and it was a great ending. The series is worth it now that it's over. It's fucking massive (11,000+ pages all told) and it has it's big rough patches but it's one of the series that made me a life long fantasy fan.

as I've said before in here read the Malazan Book of The Fallen series by Steven Erikson if you haven't.

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • I'm BACK!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
I don't know if this is technically fantasy, but the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is pretty good. It's trippy as hell, but worth a read.

Offline Conspiracy_Victim

• MY WHOLE BRAIN IS CRYING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »
I don't know if this is technically fantasy, but the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is pretty good. It's trippy as hell, but worth a read.

Yeah until...well, your mileage may vary I guess.  For me, King Mass Effected the ending before Mass Effect could do it.

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • I'm BACK!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »

Yeah until...well, your mileage may vary I guess.  For me, King Mass Effected the ending before Mass Effect could do it.

Yeah the ending was kind of a WTF moment, but on subsequent readings I just didn't bother reading that little epilogue where he's inside the tower.

Offline Conspiracy_Victim

• MY WHOLE BRAIN IS CRYING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »

Yeah the ending was kind of a WTF moment, but on subsequent readings I just didn't bother reading that little epilogue where he's inside the tower.

Probably for the best.  King's "Well, that's the way the story wanted to end" author's note pissed me off even more.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
I really liked the Dark Tower books but once King himself appeared as a character started to have some problems with them. I didn't hate the ending as much as most people even though it was obviously incredibly unsatisfying. I also read the books after they were all out. If I had been reading the series as the books each came out and waiting all that time I'm sure I would have been way angrier.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
I think King's accident gave him a "Oh shit what if I die before I finish these books?" moment and made him rush the last few books and that's a big part of why they don't live up to the previous installments.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »
I'd have to say I'm also in the camp of losing a little bit of interest when King himself became a character, but I still somewhat enjoyed the ending. Not very rewarding as a reader but in a way I appreciate it.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson is an amazing breezy fun read. Basically superheroes were created by an event but they all turn out to be evil dicks; that's the premise. It's as good as it sounds.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »
Anybody reading Words of Radiance by Sanderson? (Follow up to The Way of Kings)

Best fantasy series.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
Planning on picking it up soon, I really enjoyed the first book.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »
Soon ended up being last night. Finished it just now. Really enjoyed it. Not sure which I'd rate ahead. Just hope he takes less time to write the next one because he's got so much depth in the backstory and so many balls in the air plotwise I'm anxious to read more. Reminds me of Steven Erikson a little when it comes to world-building and the amount of backstory it has built it to explore.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
Damn you flew past me on that one. I'm around 550-600 pages in. I am loving it. And typically the best part of any Sanderson book is the ending sequences so I'm excited to keep going.

I think it's his plan to release one of these every two years. I know the Steelheart sequel is next, then the sequel to Alloy of Law and then hopefully the third in this series.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
Finished it. Marked out pretty hard when Szeth got
Spoiler: show
 nightblood.
. Also didn't realize until I saw after that Zahel was
Spoiler: show
 Vasher

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
So, I finally started The Wheel of Time. Loved book 1. Around when exactly does it start to suck?

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »
The first four books were great, at least to my high school/early college years self.  It's super-derivative fantasy, but very well-done super-derivative fantasy.  The fifth was still very good.  The sixth book was when things noticeably started to stagger, and the seventh and eight were when I gave up on it.  Jordan is basically building the world and story all the way through the fifth, and then he just starts treading water, resurrecting tons of characters, making you guess who they are, and rehashing storylines.  Also, get ready for lots of "she tugged her braid" and "she smoothed her skirt," which is how he thinks women react to everything.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
Pretty much around 7 and 8 are where it starts getting hard going but when Brandon Sanderson comes in he ultimately made me glad I stuck with the books.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
So it sounds like I'll be good for awhile, then there's 4-5 books to just slog through, then a very strong finish. Well, it helps knowing what I'm in for.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2014, 05:52:03 AM »
I'm up to book 7 now. It's slow treading. I hate the way Jordan writes the dynamic between men and women. The way characters interact is just brutal and I wind up rooting for them all to fail/die. Nynaeve is the worst character in any series I've ever read and there aren't very many far behind.

Despite that, having no problem sticking with it because no book series I've ever read has managed to capture the epic in epic fantasy quite like this one and I also love Rand and Mat. All the female characters can fuck off and die, though, pretty much and I put that squarely on the shoulders of Jordan. Oof, he can't write women.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2014, 07:34:10 AM »
There's a couple female characters that are usually written well such as Min and Moiraine but yeah most of the female characters (looking at you Faile and Nynaeve) are nails on chalkboard bad. He makes up for it with some great characters like Lan, Mat, Perrin, Thom, and The Aeil in general.

Offline Wizard of Maz

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
Finished The Mistborn Triology by Sanderson last night.

I started getting weary of it in the later part of Book 2, but Book 3 picked up a lot of steam, and the ending was highly satisfying.

Offline hyperchord24

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
I couldn't get through the 3rd book.  Brandon Sanderson is a nice guy and his stories are really cool, but his writing style grinds on me.  He has so many books I want to read, but I read some passaged and put the book down.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
I think he writes the best ending sequences of any author I read. Things tend to pick up steam around 70% of the way through and then never let up. Mistborn books all had very strong finishes.

The Stormlight Archive is shaping up to be my favorite book series ever.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
Love Sanderson books. StormLight books are fantastic. Mistborn had parts that were too slow but overall he's just a really great storyteller that builds his stuff so well.

Offline Wizard of Maz

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2014, 03:24:40 AM »
Yeah, I was dragging at almost exactly halfway through book 2, but then he went into the setting up the ending, and that momentum carried me through Book 3, which I didn't feel had as much down time. Even in the lulls there seemed to be more going on than in Book 2. I might have to search out the StormLight books then.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
Good idea. There's 2 of them now and there will be 8 more.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2015, 05:45:41 AM »
I had to give up and read synopsis of Books 8-12 of the Wheel of Time. It was just sabotaging my reading. Looks like nearly nothing happened in those four books from reading the summaries. Ok, Sanderson time.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
It took me almost a year but I finished Wheel of Time. I thought it wrapped up about as well as could be expected and there were certainly some great moments during the Last Battle.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2015, 01:36:57 AM »
I lost interest by book 6. When I started forgetting stuff that happened in book 1 I quit.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
Yeah I'm not going to lie I skipped a few books. I turned out to not be much of a Jordan fan. I got to 8 then had my fill. I read summaries to get me up to the Sanderson books and all three of those were pretty great.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
Had to bump this old thread because I just saw that after all this time Tad Williams is finally writing the sequel trilogy to "Memory, Sorrow, Thorn" with the first book out supposedly the end of the month https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31185918-the-witchwood-crown?from_search=true

I really love that series and I always hoped he'd go back to it so I'm very excited.

I haven't really read much new Fantasy this year yet. I'm waiting for all my favourite authors to come out with stuff. My big names are Erikson, Sanderson (stormlight archive especially), Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, and Patrick Rothfuss (starting to doubt him almost as much as Martin though).

Peter V Brett's "Demon Cycle War" is not bad so far although I don't think it needs to be this long. Michael J Sullivan's Riyria books are fantastic and I really recommend them. Daniel Abraham is also worth checking out, I've only finished his "Dagger and the Coin" series but it was really good and the other stuff I've read by him is too.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2017, 12:40:08 AM »
Brett just turned in the final book in the series, The Core. Hoping it's a good conclusion.

Most looking forward to the new Stormlight book - Oathbringer, in November.

Also Terry Brooks just put out the first book in the 4 book series that will end Shannarra. Been reading those books since 6th grade so I will definitely be picking that up soon.

I've been slowly making my way through the Rincewind and Death series in Discworld. Really enjoying them.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2017, 04:17:47 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/books/5-classic-starter-fantasy-books/

I did this little article for the site. I re-read all of these within the last few years and I'd say they generally hold up pretty well, with Shannara probably holding up the least well but it also being for younger audiences.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2017, 12:50:49 AM »
I read along with the preview chapters of Oathbringer on Tor.com - can't wait for it to be released next week. Giving away 300 pages of the book for free is easy when it's 1200 or so pages. According to Audible it's their most pre-ordered release of all time.

Part 1 was phenomenal and the nonspoiler reviews I've read said it might be the best book of the Stormlight Archive so far.