Author Topic: Oh. Canada.  (Read 42904 times)

Description:

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
I'm totally voting for Jack, not that it really matters here.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Flik

• Rocking My Old Graphic Works
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
Hey Vicious, you won't be the only one voting NDP. Its the only platform that I know of and actually can get behind.

If I have to put up with a little oil sands styming, I'll deal with it.

Offline CanadianChris

• Retired.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
I'm voting Liberal.  The local Lib candidate is the best chance for us to get rid of Evil John Baird.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »
As an Albertan (kinda) that's the only thing I don't like about Jack.

Improving safety and job security and actually penalizing the oil companies for the problems they cause would be nice. Also get rid of CLAC.

Offline Captain of Outer Space

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
Seat Projection.

A lot can happen in a week, but... uh... Say a prayer for the Grits.

Offline CanadianChris

• Retired.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2011, 11:18:11 PM »
That poll deserves a vintage ECW Arena "Holy Shit" chant.  This just got a whole lot more interesting.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2011, 01:21:41 AM »
Fuck yeah.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2011, 01:56:15 AM »

Holy shit. An ad that isn't attack-based and actually talks about a platform. What a concept!

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2011, 02:23:37 AM »
I think the best part about those seat projections is that it would render the Bloc Quebecois worthless. They would not possess a swing vote, as they so often had, with only 14 seats - they couldn't boost ANY of the parties to 155 votes with those few seats, and as a result, nobody needs to give a fuck what the Bloc Quebecois thinks.

Interestingly enough, their swing vote would end up with the Liberals, who could easily boost either the NDP or Conservatives to a majority needed to pass bills.
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2011, 02:39:10 AM »
I was listening to some talk radio segment in a cab on the way to work this morning and they had an analyst mentioning that a lot of the Bloc's longtime supporters are abandoning them because they are finally realizing that the party can't really do anything for them. They always mention their policy on this or that, but in the end it doesn't matter because they'll never be in power in Parliament. So you get people who have been voting for them finally figuring out that they can't really do anything for them, other than complain about Quebec getting the short stick - which is pretty much their only real role. They also mentioned how kids who were born when the Bloc started up, aren't facing the same issues that their parents were that caused them to vote Bloc. These kids are grown up, speak two languages, see themselves as Canadians.

I think it's great, really. Anything to defeat this stupid and nonsensical separatist movement is awesome, in my books. It has always been such a stupid movement, IMO. I can remember as a kid and as a teen thinking how dumb it was - how much of the national debt this province would have to take with them. They'd have to set up their own infrastructure too. Plus, can you imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be for Quebecers  who work out of province? Would they need greencards, visas, etc? They sure as hell wouldn't be using Canadian passports or citizenships anymore. Ridiculous idea if there ever was one.

Offline CanadianChris

• Retired.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »
See, in the fantasyland that the PQ and BQ inhabit, none of those problems would ever materialize.  They'd be a separate country except when it's inconvenient.  It's all bullshit and they need to be called on it.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »
Seat Projection.

I take two things from that.

Firstly, the NDP is kicking some major ass and it actually makes me feel that my vote will matter, even though the NDP are expected to get zero seats in Saskatchewan.

Secondly, Ontario gets more seats than BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »
Seat Projection.

I take two things from that.

Firstly, the NDP is kicking some major ass and it actually makes me feel that my vote will matter, even though the NDP are expected to get zero seats in Saskatchewan.

Secondly, Ontario gets more seats than BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined.

In fairness, they also have a higher population then those 4 provinces combined.

That said, I know how you feel; apparently the 4 Atlantic provinces don't even warrant being listed separately, and we're still only 4th on the list in terms of seats.  

Also, since it made me curious, I looked some stuff up on the web. While only having about 63% of the population of Alberta, the Atlantic provinces have 4 more seats then Alberta does. Our system is kinda fucked.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2011, 01:45:14 AM »
Angus Reid's latest poll has the NDP in second at 30%. Conservatives in the lead with 35% and the Liberals in third with... %22! TWENTY TWO PER CENT! I find that fucking amazing. :D

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/43882/tories-lead-in-canada-ndp-firmly-in-second-place-due-to-quebec-strength/

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:36 AM »
I've also heard a lot of fear mongering from the Red and Blue supporters about how we should "remember what the NDP did when they were in power in Ontario." Well, hey.. I wonder if these guys, especially the Reds, know that the NDP's former provincial leader from that era is now a card-carrying member of Iggy's federal Liberal's. I mean, how fucking funny is that? Either they're extremely ignorant (highly possible) or they're willing to bury one of their own just to bury the party that is shooting past them in popularity.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
I've also heard a lot of fear mongering from the Red and Blue supporters about how we should "remember what the NDP did when they were in power in Ontario." Well, hey.. I wonder if these guys, especially the Reds, know that the NDP's former provincial leader from that era is now a card-carrying member of Iggy's federal Liberal's. I mean, how fucking funny is that? Either they're extremely ignorant (highly possible) or they're willing to bury one of their own just to bury the party that is shooting past them in popularity.

The Ghost of Bob Rae is one of the most common strategies against the NDP in Ontario; I'm not surprised they're trying it federally.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
I don't get how "The NDP fucked up Ontario!" is a valid reason to not vote NDP federally. By that logic, we can't vote for anyone, because every party has fucked up some provinces, and some fucked up the country.

Also:

http://shitharperdid.ca.nyud.net/

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2011, 01:41:32 AM »
Latest Nanos poll shows the NDP UP by 2.5% to 30.4%. Conservatives and Liberals DOWN by 1.2 and 1.0 %, to 36.6 and 21.9 % respectively.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
I don't get how "The NDP fucked up Ontario!" is a valid reason to not vote NDP federally. By that logic, we can't vote for anyone, because every party has fucked up some provinces, and some fucked up the country.[/url]

A lot of people can never seem to comprehend the difference between Federal and Provincial parties. I know a lot of folks who still think that the Provincial PC's are the same thing as the Federal Conservative Party.

Offline LPM

• Marka For La Parka
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2011, 01:48:06 AM »
http://www.threehundredeight.blogspot.com/ has these projections:

They seem a bit more realistic than the ones having the Liberals with 20 seats or whatever.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2011, 02:13:19 AM »
The only real difference between that and the other set of projections from earlier is that in that set the Bloc has all the seats in Quebec while in the first set they have like 14 and the NDP have the rest.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2011, 05:11:23 AM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/laytons-gains-in-ontario-and-bc-narrow-harpers-lead-to-five-points/article2003488/

Nanos now has the Conservatives down to 36.4% and the NDP up to 31.2%. Apparently due to NDP gains in Ontario & BC.

Also, apparently two card-carrying Bloc members are telling their constituents to vote NDP..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/04/29/bloc-quebecois-members-support-ndp.html

"I'm not a black sheep, I'm not an anecdote," Demuy said.

He said the vast majority of his entourage supports the Bloc, and at least three quarters of his friends and colleagues will be putting an X beside the name of the NDP candidate in their ridings on Monday.

Offline Vitamin X

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2011, 05:52:33 AM »
Way to go, Canada! I like this NDP a lot. Wish we could have a viable third party down here as well.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2011, 06:12:44 AM »
I'm actually really excited about this election. I'm not sure what to expect, but it's cool to see a third party rising through the ranks. Usually the NDP has hovered at the 10-15% support mark. To see them over 30% is unheard of.

Offline CanadianGuitarist

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
It's really something, isn't it? The projections (even, say, three months ago) of the left are basically the inverse of the current polls.

As a former Liberal voter, I have to think a lot of soon-to-be NDP voters are the result of two combined things: The likability of Layton and the lack of it on the part of Igantieff (and to a large extent, his predecessor Dion).

Offline Lord of The Curry

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:31 AM »
The idea that Layton could somehow end up as PM has got to be some of the dumber street talk I've heard circulating lately.

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2011, 04:09:23 AM »
Even with all the momentum they've gained, I don't see it happening tomorrow either.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2011, 04:38:04 AM »
While I don't really see Layton being elected PM, there is a chance (albeit a slim one) that if the NDP takes more seats then the Liberals, and if Harper's government falls, AND if we see a coalition come out of it...well, if Layton has more seats then Ignatieff, then he'd have to be the PM in such a situation.

Like I said, slim chance, but it's certainly more likely to happen now then it ever has been in the past.

Offline Captain of Outer Space

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
Get ready for some serious rumbling about Libs crossing the floor on Tuesday if the election is close.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
To the NDP or Conservatives?

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »
Conservatives have been projected to have won the most seats.  Unknown yet whether it will be a majority or minority.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2011, 01:03:45 PM »
So its official that the NDP are the official opposition.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
Oh and the Bloc currently have 1% of the vote, while the green has 3%

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
Just saw them project a 160-seat majority for Harper. Fuck.

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
So its official that the NDP are the official opposition.

It's not even close to official. CBC does have them projected at 80 seats at this point, but there's literally millions of votes left to come in.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
Well Albertans wont care, but I hope the rest of the country wakes the fuck up after four years of intolerance

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
Oh and the Liberals not targeting the right wing policies at all. They need to do so.

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
For all the talk of the Liberal stumbling, the current projection for the Bloc is only six or seven. That's a stunning drop.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Oh and fuck that asshole of an MP in Fort Mac.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »
C'mon BC, show your god damn Hippie strength.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
Fuck...this is going to be a long four years

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »
Bloc is not a recognized party.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
So close to a majority.  I'm a nervous wreck right now.  I've been waiting 18 years for this.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
What? There's no good in a reformist conservative majority. I'm glad that Preston Manning dream could come true.

Offline ZGangsta

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Well this is pretty fucking awful. The complete death of the Bloc is a big silver lining though.

Offline ZGangsta

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
So close to a majority.  I'm a nervous wreck right now.  I've been waiting 18 years for this.
Yeah sweet, hopefully we get more awesome helpful policies like the GST like the last time the right wing had a majority!

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
And pay for healthcare and deregulation of banks that spiral our economy into another recession

Offline ZGangsta

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
And pay for healthcare and deregulation of banks that spiral our economy into another recession
BIDNESSMEN DO BETTER HEALTHCARE THATS WHY THE US HAS SUCH GUD HEALTHCARE!~!~

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Oh. Canada.
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
Yeah sweet, hopefully we get more awesome helpful policies like the GST like the last time the right wing had a majority!

It was better than the MST that it replaced.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Oh. Canada.
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
There's a difference between a conservative and a reformist. This is going to be an ugly four years for all Canadians that is not from Alberta.