Author Topic: Oh. Canada.  (Read 41314 times)

Description:

Offline what.the.hell.have.i

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Re: Oh. Canada.
« Reply #900 on: January 27, 2017, 12:01:10 AM »
Welp: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/26/511636325/its-a-big-one-iowa-pipeline-leaks-nearly-140-000-gallons-of-diesel

But pipelines create jobs so it's okay to further destroy the environment I guess.
¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #901 on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:11 AM »
I wish the Native Americans weren't affected cause that pipeline would fuck shit up for those assholes that want it

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #902 on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »
Welp: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/26/511636325/its-a-big-one-iowa-pipeline-leaks-nearly-140-000-gallons-of-diesel

But pipelines create jobs so it's okay to further destroy the environment I guess.
¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

Shit happens. Like I said, ideals don't heat my house.

When they killed the fishing industry in Newfoundland and unemployment and poverty went through the roof, they came to Alberta for jobs. Where do you suggest 140,000 Albertans go for jobs?

You use oil every day. Oh, but because we live in Canada, it's Saudi oil because despite Alberta and Saskatchewan losing out on billions in NEP payments that benefit the east entirely, it's better to get oil from a country that pisses all over human rights than to support our country.

Imagine for 5 minutes if a bunch of people who couldn't do your job (roughnecks are some of the toughest people I know, working in -50 weather in a regular basis in the winter) decided it had to go away. No alternative. No training. Just "Find something else. Fuck you." 

Not to mention, have you ever been to the oil sands? Not just read about it online. The oil literally comes out of the ground. Indigenous tribes used to collect it to caulk their canoes. It used to be a regular occurrence to be told not to swim in the rivers and streams because oil was leaking into them from the ground. It's not some blasted hellscape.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Lord of The Curry

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #904 on: January 30, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »
An Alt-Right, anti-feminist Trump supporter.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #905 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Trudeau announced no election reform today and got called out on it hard. The NDP called him the same as Harper. I won't vote for them but bravo.

« Reply #906 on: February 01, 2017, 06:11:26 AM »
Justin wishes he could tickle the ivories like Stevie did.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #907 on: February 01, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »
2019 is a ways away but they're going to split the left and usher in a Conservative PM

Offline 209

• Admin
« Reply #908 on: February 01, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »
That is a smart prediction.

Bobby: Not that much. I check out the sites on occasion but I'm not big into computers. I've actually tried going into wrestling chat rooms on occasion. From what I've seen, everyone's swearing at one another and no one is talking about wrestling.

http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/eaton.htm

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #909 on: February 01, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
Electoral reform is one of the main reasons I voted for him. Barring the need to vote strategically in order to prevent a Trump level neo-con making it into office, I'll be back to voting NDP for the next election.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #910 on: February 01, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »
I won't vote NDP after the LEAP Manifesto which leaves Liberal or Conservative and which is the lesser of 2 evils.

Where I live votes so overwhelming Conservative that it doesn't really matter if I vote.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #911 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
I'm very unhappy about it as I am a number of things he's done but the NDP has done nothing at all to make me think they are in any way relevant or even on the path to becoming relevant. They seem more likely to tear apart over how far left to go (such as over the leap manifesto) than to get things together. Same with the Green Party as the controversy of the BDS insanity showed. The Libs aren't very good but they're the party on the left that have their shit together.

Lot of time left and a lot depends on who gets chosen as leader of the conservatives and how bad things go in the US with Trump. If he keeps going like he is I don't think people will be as eager to elect a neo-con here. I've seen people who are usually very conservative be pretty horrified by what is going on and if Trudeau can handle that with any skill it will go a long way to getting people to forget his broken promises IMO. Dealing with Trump will define his time in office now.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #912 on: February 01, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
there's a lot of people like fish who will never vote for the ndp because of the LEAP manifesto, that I know. I think it has destroyed their chances as a major party.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #913 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
I like the LEAP manifesto, and I think real liberals usually do.

if i stop posting, you know they got me

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #915 on: February 05, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
Saturday in downtown, it was great to see an ocean of people out and united for this cause.

« Reply #916 on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/compare-unfounded-sex-assault-rates-across-canada/article33855643/

This is a pretty fascinating look at one stage of the process.

Just got done reading it. Really good article and really disturbing.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #917 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »
Electoral Reform petition on the gov't site has 70K+ sigs and is climbing: https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-616%E2%80%AC

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #919 on: February 12, 2017, 06:09:58 AM »
Only Chong doesn't seem like a fucking disaster waiting to happen.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #920 on: February 12, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
The NDP have their first leadership candidate. I only know about him what's in the article but he seems like the candidate that the Bernie Bros would support.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-mp-peter-julian-1.3978889

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #921 on: February 12, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »
Trudeau using fearmongering about the fringe vote as justification for his shitty about face on electoral reform: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/electoral-reform-trudeau-leitch-1.3975354?cmp=rss

That petition is well over 100k sigs now, btw.

« Reply #922 on: February 12, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »
He's meeting Agent Orange today. Let's see how awkward that one is.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #923 on: February 15, 2017, 05:04:22 AM »

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #924 on: February 25, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
I really want Michael Chong to win the Conservative leadership race so I can watch Albertans reconcile how the NDP's carbon tax is the devil but the Conservative carbon tax is exactly what this country needs.

Also, he's not a god damn lunatic like the other front runners.

Leitch is fucking advertising on Breitbart.

« Reply #925 on: April 13, 2017, 04:38:21 AM »

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #926 on: April 13, 2017, 05:23:49 AM »
28g in an ounce, right?

I'm happy with 30g.

« Reply #927 on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:09 AM »
Of course the provincial legislation is going to be the real hurdle. Nationally it's legal but it's going to be up to the province and within that the municipality to set guidelines on stuff like age limit and who can sell it. 18 is the minimum age but I wouldn't be surprised to see some places put it as high as 21, maybe even 25 because that's what the LCBO in Ontario uses as a guideline on when they should check somebody's ID.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #928 on: April 13, 2017, 05:38:07 AM »
I'm mid 30's. I don't give a shit were they set the minimum age.

« Reply #929 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:04 AM »
It's going to be kinda surreal when it's all in place and you can bum a joint off of somebody.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #930 on: April 26, 2017, 06:46:53 AM »

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #931 on: April 26, 2017, 06:53:49 AM »
Heh this is exactly what I said to medium in chat a while ago. You gotta be able to speak Fench to go into politics. I'd rather have had Oleary as the Conservative candidate than a few of the others running especially Leitch not that that is saying a lot.

Someday that's gonna be America. Won't be able to run without being able to speak Spanish. OR CHINESE. (and yes Tek I know Chinese isn't a language)

« Reply #932 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »
Media can't be happy about this. That guy was 90% of their coverage for the CPC leadership race.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #933 on: April 26, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
O'Leary's people have been running phone polls like crazy. I imagine they didn't get the response they were looking for, and with the Trumpster fire down south, he decided to cut his losses.

O'Leary was t even the worst. Leith is far worse and Bernier is no better than O'Leary.

Offline The Thread Killer

• Thread's Dead, Baby. Thread's Dead.
  • Snausages
« Reply #934 on: May 31, 2017, 06:43:11 AM »
The province of Ontario is following Alberta's lead and will be going to a $15.00 an hour Minimum Wage.  Good news for my roomie who makes the current minimum ($11.40 I think?), although it doesn't take effect until January 2019 and since this is the Ontario Liberal Party, all sorts of weird shenanigans could take place between now and then to change this.

To think, my first job the Minimum Wage was $3.15 an hour.  Never thought I'd see it jump this far in my lifetime.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #935 on: June 01, 2017, 02:40:45 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/screen-time-preschool-1.4140491

Screens 'not a toy:' Canadian pediatricians promote limits for kids 5 and under

Parents and caregivers of children aged five and younger should not only minimize screen time at home but use it mindfully themselves, according to the Canadian Paediatric Society.

Screen time for children under two is not recommended since there are no documented benefits.

For children three to five years of age, limit screen time to less than one hour per day.

Avoid screens at least one hour before bed.

I remember people made me out to be some anti-millennial dinosaur when I pointed this out in chat. Canada leads the way.

Offline 209

• Admin
« Reply #936 on: June 01, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/screen-time-preschool-1.4140491

Screens 'not a toy:' Canadian pediatricians promote limits for kids 5 and under

Parents and caregivers of children aged five and younger should not only minimize screen time at home but use it mindfully themselves, according to the Canadian Paediatric Society.

Screen time for children under two is not recommended since there are no documented benefits.

For children three to five years of age, limit screen time to less than one hour per day.

Avoid screens at least one hour before bed.

I remember people made me out to be some anti-millennial dinosaur when I pointed this out in chat. Canada leads the way.

I'm glad somebody did a study on this. Been saying it for literally a year.

Bobby: Not that much. I check out the sites on occasion but I'm not big into computers. I've actually tried going into wrestling chat rooms on occasion. From what I've seen, everyone's swearing at one another and no one is talking about wrestling.

http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/eaton.htm

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #937 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:22 PM »
wtf that user name of the person that started this thread

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/wynne-s-approval-rating-drops-to-12-per-cent-poll-1.3338946

this is surreal, I've never seen a politician that unpopular. I sure look forward to a conservative getting elected and ignoring all the institutional oversight that is on the table.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #938 on: October 01, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/new-democratic-party-leadership-results-1.4315704

I like what little I know about Jagmeet, mostly his handling of that dipshit "protester". I can't see the NDP making any big gains in the next election unless something huge changes though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poll-tracker-federal-poll-averages-and-seat-projections-1.4171977

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #939 on: October 01, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »
They're attack on the entire Western half of Canada's economy on a federal level means they'll never gain power. The best shot they ever had died with Jack Layton.

Offline Flik

• Rocking My Old Graphic Works
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #940 on: October 02, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
I knew as soon as Jack Layton died that the NDP might gain a province or two to run, but he's really been the only likeable person the NDP has had. Hell, I still think the NDP would've won if Layton had been the party leader.

I don't know if he would've been good or not, but I really think that the only reason anyone took the NDP seriously was because of him. I'm not saying the NDP are a joke, but that with Layton they honestly seemed like a viable party because of him. Without him or someone who seems like an actual person, the NDP will never again have a shot at having their leader be Prime Minister.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #941 on: October 03, 2017, 02:41:00 AM »
Layton was a guy who gave me hope for politicians.. once he left us, it all went back to bitter cynicism again.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #942 on: October 05, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »
Energy East pipeline is dead. Queue Albertans blaming Montreal.

That said, it is terrible. 

Offline BigD

• TwistedMind/Intestine
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #943 on: November 06, 2017, 06:34:29 AM »
Singh told about two thousand delegates attending the B.C. NDP convention on Saturday that Canada’s drug laws should reflect that drug addiction is a social justice issue and not a criminal justice matter. He called on the federal government to declare opioid addiction a national crisis.

Singh drew a standing ovation when he said the New Democrats would decriminalize personal possession of all drugs, not just marijuana.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3844592/jagmeet-singh-ndp-opioid-crisis-drug-addiction-social-criminal-justice/?utm_source=GlobalHalifax&utm_medium=Facebook

This is a huge issue and has won my vote, and should win many others if people realize what a huge impact this would have. Time to move into the modern century.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #944 on: November 07, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »
Opioid are a national crisis beyond any shadow of a doubt. I see it every day in bc but decriminalization of all drugs is a step that is way further than the vast majority of voters would go. I think i would support it but it isn't an instant yes, it want more details and  to see how the rollout of marijuana legalization goes

Offline BigD

• TwistedMind/Intestine
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #945 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »
Just having empathy for the fact that people are having their freedom stripped away and their lives after being locked away for suffering from an addiction is enough of a reason.

Nevermind the studies which you could find to support either side but for the most part link decrimialization/leagalization to a decrease in crime, deaths, and even drug use.

I agree that it is a step too far for most voters, but think its much in the same way that gay marriage was too much for most voters 15 years ago.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #946 on: November 08, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
Being an addict should not be treated as a crime, ever. It's a mental health issue and should be treated and cared for as such.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #947 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/poll-suggests-majority-of-canadians-back-ban-on-guns-in-urban-areas-1.3705194

According to the poll, conducted by Ekos Research Associates for The Canadian Press, 69 per cent of those surveyed agreed with the statement "I think that there should be a strict ban on guns in urban areas."
Support was highest in Quebec at 76 per cent and lowest in Alberta at 48 per cent.
----

"let's do it"

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #948 on: December 11, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »
https://globalnews.ca/news/3910726/newfoundland-byelection-2017/

Liberals took 3 of the 4 federal by-elections with the conservatives taking the other. The notable thing is that the Liberals scored a huge upset here in BC by taking a seat that's been conservative for decades.

there's a bad sign for the NDP as well, in that since Singh has become leader there's been 6 by-elections and th NDP vote share has declined in all of them. I'm surprised by that as I'd have really expected there to be a boost just from the enthusiasm for a new leader.

Looking at wiki there's been 12 by-elections so far for this Parliament. the Liberal have won 7 of the 12, including turning 2 Conservative seats. Conservatives have won the others but haven't turned any Liberal seats.

I'm not the biggest fan of the liberals but I'll take them over the conservatives every day of the week so aside from the NDP being so weak this seems mostly good to me.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV