Author Topic: Oh, for the love of god... DC does it again  (Read 22023 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
Oh, for the love of god... DC does it again
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2011, 05:42:07 AM »
Reading Flashpoint and the Batman stuff with
Spoiler: show
Martha Wayne as Joker
was an awesome swerve and reveal.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, for the love of god... DC does it again
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
So I finally read all of the #1's. I have to say if the whole point was to make the universe more accessible by rebooting then I don't understand what they're doing with the Batman and Green Lantern franchises because if you weren't already reading them it can be a bit confusing as to what's going on.

The two Legion of Super Heroes series were even worse because I've never really read any of that stuff. If I hadn't read Flashpoint I wouldn't have had the slightest idea of what was going on. Obviously it's just the first issues and they have plenty of time to flesh things out but it just felt a bit odd.

The comics I wasn't impressed with were the Legion books because like I said they were a bit confusing to me, the Red Hood book because of numerous issues but Starfire's new character is the biggest so far, and really...that's about it. There's a number that didn't make a big impression but there weren't any others I'd want to call out on the floor so far.

The ones I was into the most so far is longer because there was some really good stuff. Aquaman was really fun with the way they treated the way people don't take him seriously as a hero and looks interesting. Batwing looks like it could be a pretty good story and I like that it's set far away from any of the other super hero areas so he's on his own. Nightwing, aside from the disappointment of Dick no longer being Batman was really good and one of the ones I look forward to reading the next issue the most. Teen Titans was also one that had a good start and I like the idea of Tim competing with a shadowy organization for control of teenage superheroes.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
Oh did any of you notice the red hooded figure that appeared semi-hidden in every #1 issue? I'd like to say I did but I didn't start to until someone mentioned it to me.

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
Yeah, she was the person who helped Barry put the timeline(s) back together at the end of Flashpoint. It was a pretty big deal that DC hyped up a lot (her appearances) so you couldn't miss it really, unless you were reading them after they first came out.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
So reading Nightwing #3 where they do a flashback to when Dick is still with the carnival and
 this is only 5 years ago?! So this universe has acknowledged already at least three Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim) and that Bruce died and Dick replaced him briefly and all of this took place in 5 years?! Even for comics that's pretty condensed.

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »
So reading Nightwing #3 where they do a flashback to when Dick is still with the carnival and
 this is only 5 years ago?! So this universe has acknowledged already at least three Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim) and that Bruce died and Dick replaced him briefly and all of this took place in 5 years?! Even for comics that's pretty condensed.

That's a spoiler?  But yeah, even by comics standards, that's pretty goddamn dumb.  They've always had great difficulty in explaining just how much time has passed since any given event, since there's SO many storylines over the decades.  So I understand when they have to fudge some things, like pretend now that Peter Parker wasn't in high school back in 1963.  (The Punisher and John Constantine seem to be the only guys that they allow to age in real time, although even then those guys seem awfully healthy and young-looking for their supposed ages.)  But that example you named is outright insulting to all of us, pretending that all this shit happened that quickly. 

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
spoiler in the sense it lays lays out what's canon in the new universe for those who haven't read it yet.

I can't remember whether it was Marvel or DC who for a while had a system where a comic year was equal to like 1.5 normal years and it synced up fairly well for a bit.

I've done more reading and I think OMAC #2 is a strong candidate for the worst book if only because Brother  Eye constantly says  eye instead of "I". Red Hood is pretty awful too but at least it doesn't descend to that level.

Demon Knights is really great even if it's just a copy of Magnificent Seven (hey Mag7 is a copy of Seven Samurai after all). Has anyone read "I Vampire" It's actually surprisingly decent which shocked me. I haven't been into Justice League Dark at all so far.

Offline Marie I

• FLAM
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
I couldn't even finish the first OMAC issue. Thought it was absolutely unbearable.

Offline FUCK THIS BOARD & FUCK EVERYONE ON IT!

• CBright
  • 2016/17 Poster of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
How about that new DC logo? Huh?

The press release that came with the new logo is one of the most vomit inducing piece of nonsense ramblings that I have ever read. I was also unaware that the letter D was a cross-dressing C.

HEY, TRTSM:

Quote from: Cowboy Numbers
same with cwm
he's a stay at home dad with no education
what's he gonna teach his kids? how to be a loser?

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:22 AM »

It's really not that bad.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »
It doesn't look as bad on the book itself but as a longtime DC geek, it just feels wrong to me.

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2012, 04:43:55 AM »
It felt wrong to me too when I first saw it, but like all the other logo changes everyone will get used to it eventually.

Offline SBofn

• Shelton Benjamin outta fuckin' nowhere!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
Has anyone read
?

Because you'll be
Of course cage matches work.  If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.

--Michael Scott

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
So I finally finished reading all the #4's of the new 52's and I'm going to start dropping a couple of the books. I'm dropping: Blackhawks and OMAC for now but several more like Captain Atom, JL:Dark, Legion Lost, Red Lanterns, Hawkman, and Batwoman are on the edge too. I know everyone loves Batwoman but I'm not a fan.

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2012, 03:40:09 AM »
Of the stuff I get, I already dropped Justice League Dark. Not for me and I didn't like any of the characters.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
Unless I missed it I don't know how this didn't get posted a while ago by one of our guys who follows this stuff closer than I do http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-new-52-new-titles-120112.html so 6 series are going down and 6 coming in

Men of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., Hawk and Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock are all being dropped. I'd already dropped OMAC and Blackhawks so that's fine by me. Mister Terrific and H&D were both meh and Static Shock was a let down. Men of War though was pretty damn good and I'm sad to see it go. I'm not shocked though.

Coming in is Batman Incorporated, Earth 2, World's Finest, Dial H, G.I. Combat and The Ravagers

I don't need another Batman book but I'm sure it'll sell. Earth 2 is JSA which I've never read much of. World's Finest will be...Huntress and Power Girl? OOook. Ravagers is a Teen Titans spinoff. GI Combat looks like war short stories?  Dial H sounds like horror and SciFi

I expect GI Combat to die since it basically sounds like Men of War with a different title. Dial H too since it has no brand and people seem to only buy stuff that they know. Looks like the old stuff ends in April and the new stuff kicks off in May.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »
Batman Inc is a 12 issue mini that's finishing Grant's whole Batman story from the Pre-52 universe, and looks to be really good.

Dial H actually has been around before, with three (I think) series, two of them were minis. It's a neat concept and I hope it does well.

Here is the variant cover for Earth 2 #1:

And the World's Finest cover:

Alot of people are speculating that the big 3 on the Earth 2 cover are Earth 2 versions of Dick, Donna, and Connor as Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, (note Batman's escrima sticks and Superman's younger look), which would be pretty cool. World's Finest I think spins out of the Huntress mini going on right now and is gonna be Earth 2 versions of Power Girl and Huntress trapped in Earth 1.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
I've been reading DC's #6's and I just finished Justice League and maybe I'm alone here but I thought it was a total mess and a really awful end to the story arc.

In one issue we go from them basically getting their asses kicked without even being able to scratch Darkseid to them destroying Darkseid with no real effort (and with Superman and Batman not even taking part. I don't think I've ever seen Darkseid beaten so badly). On top of all that in the SAME issue they become the Justice League, jump forward in time and we get the stuff with Pandora finally explaining some of the history reset stuff and setting up a ton of other shit. Plus the dumb stuff with a comic book guy actually coming up with the group name.

That's a SHIT TON of stuff to cram into ONE issue. What kind of pacing is that? It was all so abrupt and messy, I felt like I had missed 3 or 4 issues somewhere. I've enjoyed the previous issues well enough aside from some minor problems like Batman revealing himself to Green Arrow for no real reason to no real reaction and Superman casually killing dudes.

Am I being too hard on this?

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
Batman taking off the cowl was horrible. The last issue was laughable.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Suicide Squad #7...awesome.
Harley's method of beating Savant was clever and funny. Lime (Light?) being stupid enough to talk after getting arrested and Wahler blowing her head off was awesome and a great visual. Joker having exposed HQ to the chemicals is an interesting take on her origin. Plus her putting the Joker skin on Deadshot's face and talking to him was just...creepy.

On the other-hand I finally decided to dump Hawk & Dove. Boring comic and I've always found the War & Peace avatars thing way too transparent a way for the writers to express their own views and it gets really annoying.
I Vampire continues to be surprisingly entertaining as well. Twisted sense of humor and lots of action.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
I pretty much given up on DC lately. Outside of Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder, I'm not sure if anyone's interested in telling non-generic superhero stories.

Well, Batwoman and Aquaman are above average, and I do want to catch up on Wonder Woman.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2012, 05:14:15 AM »
Posted it in Movies/TV but seeing it was such a recent comic event, DC animated already is putting an animated version of FlashPoint into production.

It'll be interesting to see something so big wrapped into an 80-minute movie.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »
Finished the #8's

Seeing the Gen13 characters, especially Grunge integrated into Superboy/TeenTitans is so funny. I can't think of anything more 90's than Gen13. You can make Caitlan Fairchild work but Grunge? I don't see it happening. Other than that those two issues were really good.
The Lantern books continue to be a mess with Corps being the only one I'd come close to classing as good. New Guardians seems to be showing some signs of improving and Red Lanterns might be getting worse, while Green Lantern is as boring as Hal Jordan usually is.
I didn't like that the last issue of Men of War was essentially a Frankenstein flashback issue, since I really enjoyed the other issues and that could have been done in his own book.
I had a problem with Grifter because they killed off one of his main allies (Sofia) from this series in like 2 panels as a total afterthought. I don't know if it's a new creative team who wanted to wipe the slate but it was just  lame.
Bat Family books were awesome and the Night of the Owls is looking epic. I've been pretty disappointed with the Blue Beetle series so far. JL and JLI were both good. I hope we get to see the throwdown between the JL and Martian Manhunter they flashbacked to because that looked epic. Nice art on that one.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
Quote from: CWMwasmurdered
The Lantern books continue to be a mess with Corps being the only one I'd come close to classing as good. New Guardians seems to be showing some signs of improving and Red Lanterns might be getting worse, while Green Lantern is as boring as Hal Jordan usually is.

The Red Lanterns book makes me sad. What is Peter Milligan doing? He's written so make wonderful comics. Why is he doing this? Justice League Dark hasn't been near as terrible, but it's nowhere near the level of work I've come to expect from him. Has it been so long since X-Force/X-statix, Shade the Changing Man, and Human Target?

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2012, 11:20:18 PM »
Every single thing about the X-statix version of X-Force was terrible. Red Lanterns is weird, it started off okay but it's quickly falling apart and it doesn't make sense. But it also seems like Johns is trying to destroy all the other corps for some reason now too, so who knows what's going on?

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »
Every single thing about the X-statix version of X-Force was terrible.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Can anybody stand either Teen Titans or Superboy now? It's a travesty what they did to some of my favorite characters. I started reading Superboy 9, I think it was, and saw the new look for Kid Flash- but ti took me a few minutes to figure out who the hell it was. And I still hate Red Robin's new look. I wont even get started on the new backstories.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
Haven't read the #9's but I've loved both of those series so far. I've had no problem with them at all.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »
Scott Lobdell is terrible.

TEEN TITANS ARE X-TREME!

But I do kind of like the new Red Robin costume.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
Yeeeah, you started reading at the wrong issue. Both Teen Titans and Superboy have been great since the re-start, but the current issues are stuck in "The Culling" crossover which has been pretty terrible.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »
Yeah- I also read them out of order, so I didn't see how they got their new uber-culling costumes, either. Still don't like how they changed the backstories, and I don't even know what Tim's backstory should be anymore.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
My DC pickups were pretty good this week. I haven't enjoyed Aquaman much at all since the end of the first arc, but the reveal at the end of #9 will keep around another month, at least. I decided to start Justice Leauge Dark this week with Jeff Lemire writing. The story didn't stand out much, but some of the various panel designs and page layouts were pretty fun. I was on the fence about getting Batman Incorporated #1, but it ended up being my favorite book of the week.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
Alan Scott's traditional costume has finally been explained.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
Finally got around to reading OMAC. The first issue is absolutely terrible and the whole I/eye thing is tiresome, but DiDio and Giffen channeling their inner Kirby pretty good stuff.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2012, 05:57:57 AM »
So I guess Green Lantern is gay:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/01/showbiz/green-lantern-gay-earth-two-rs/index.html

Edit: Well, somehow I missed tekcop's post.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »
I picked up the new Batman Incorporated the other day, and really enjoyed the art style and some of the page layouts. The "guided" view on the iPad bothered me once or twice when it seemed to cut off speech bubbles, but a quick tap out to the whole page view remedies that problem. I pretty much ran through the story twice, once guided and once page-by-page. First time I ever really gave a shit about Damian, well, ever.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline starvenger

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »
This does explain his weakness towards wood.

Alan Scott's traditional costume has finally been explained.

Starvenger

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:08 AM »
I love the moment he becomes gay, everything in the preview becomes the stereotype. The gay male love interest does the same facial expressions as every female love interest; they just removed the breasts. And he's already saying shit like magical.

Soon he'll be discussing how much he loves Barb and he'll sneak into a costume party dressed as Dorothy from Wizard of Oz. And his ring's ability to make a fist will really be put to the test. Seriously, they couldn't just make it so "well, he's the same, just gay" and treat him like a normal person? Nope, gotta break out the word "magical" in the first issue.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2012, 02:18:58 AM »
I love the moment he becomes gay, everything in the preview becomes the stereotype. The gay male love interest does the same facial expressions as every female love interest; they just removed the breasts. And he's already saying shit like magical.

Soon he'll be discussing how much he loves Barb and he'll sneak into a costume party dressed as Dorothy from Wizard of Oz. And his ring's ability to make a fist will really be put to the test. Seriously, they couldn't just make it so "well, he's the same, just gay" and treat him like a normal person? Nope, gotta break out the word "magical" in the first issue.

Pretty much my thoughts. Just because he's gay it doesn't mean he has to act like a bad stereotype.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2012, 04:19:57 AM »
His new arch-nemesis will be a hamster that crawls up his ass.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
Is "magical" a gay thing? Because I wasn't aware.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
Is "magical" a gay thing? Because I wasn't aware.

Yes. When a guy says it. With his arm around another fella. After making out with him.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
Wait is all of that gay stuff?

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
Wait is all of that gay stuff?

Yeah, when Alan Scott does it. That cape was always a little sassy when paired with those slacks.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
After all that buildup, the ending to Earth 2 #2 made me laaaugh.

Goodbye sweet new Green Lantern love interest whose name I've already forgotten! :'(

Offline SBofn

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
Both Earth 2 and World's Finest have really let me down. They're not bad, just generic. I wish George Perez could draw a book that has me looking forward to the next issue, instead of just buying it because it's Perez.

Dial H is bizarre, in a good way.  It's like Morrison-era Doom Patrol.
Of course cage matches work.  If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.

--Michael Scott

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2012, 06:25:00 AM »
I really want to like World's Finest. A team up book with two of DC better female superheroines is right up my alley, but a series like this has to rely on their personalities and interactions. Instead, Levitz gives us bland dialogue and punching. Also, what's up with Kevin Maguire? He used to be one of my favorites, but his scenes just look so... amateurish. Like fan art.

Dial H was been excellent. Iron Snail and Shamanticore need their own books.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile

Offline SBofn

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
Spoilers for Batman #10:

Bruce Wayne has a brother, Thomas Wayne, Jr., who infiltrated and betrayed the Court of Owls.

--Michael Scott

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
Spoilers for Batman #10:

Bruce Wayne has a brother, Thomas Wayne, Jr., who infiltrated and betrayed the Court of Owls.

..what....since when?