Author Topic: Oh, for the love of god... DC does it again  (Read 22004 times)

Description:

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
Re: Oh, for the love of god... DC does it again
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
Anyone else read the first issue of Frank Miller's new Dark Knight comic?  The direction he (and cowriter Brian Azzarello) apparently decided to go in is... unexpected, to say the least.  The general storytelling style seems more reminiscent of Dark Knight Strikes Again than anything else, focusing more on the outside world's reaction to Batman than on Batman's actions themselves; but thankfully, the artwork is MUCH better here than it was in DKSA

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #301 on: December 19, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
Someone just text me tonight telling me of this Batman/Ninja Turtles crossover.

Guess I will be returning to the local comic shop this weekend...

Weird since TMNT in the comics was alluded to existing in the Marvel universe from the very first issue.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 19, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »
Yeah, guessing just because IDW and DC seem to be doing a few projects, as I saw some Green Lantern/Star Trek books in the shop today too (and remember that DC used to do Star Trek in the 90s)

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2016, 04:39:27 AM »
I'm actually enjoying the New 52 Harley Quinn solo series more than expected, the 3rd graphic novel collection was just released recently. It relies a little too much on toilet humor for my tastes but there's a good mixture of pathos/comedy in Harley's character along with some good humanizing moments.

Skip most of the 2nd trade outside of the Harley/Ivy arc stuff but check out the 1st collection and the 3rd collection (some of the main arc stuff sucks but the holiday related story and Father Time story is good stuff).

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2016, 07:25:23 AM »
Yo, this is super good.

Offline DMann1979

• That's a Shame
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
Kyle is smug (that is his sctick after all), but that is one of his best videos.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
reposted from where I accidentally put it in my rage:

909 finally got me to read some more DC and I immediately remember why I stopped. I was on the 19's and I've read a few series through like 36/future's end shit. This is a couple years ago so I'm not spoiler tagging anything and I'm going to be ranting.

Teen Titans is an abortion. Right down to all the red everywhere. everything is black with bright red. The backstories change repeatedly, who is fucking who keeps changing, none of the storylines are good, they keep getting tied into books that are as bad or worse (superboy, ravagers, etc). Just a terrible series.

Suicide Squad seesawed. Some of it was good but it also suffered from the same shit where they started stories and then dropped them, added people and dropped them, etc. Harley started hearing Quinzel's voice in one issue and then NEVER AGAIN. That's just one example. Killer Croc kept going back and forth from mindless brute to literate vegetarian. Also turning Amanda Waller from an unattrative older woman to a big titted hottie was unnneeded and dumb.

Aquaman....I like Aquaman mostly. Some of it is stupid but for DC it gets a pass. Good job.

Wonder Woman is the best of the ones I've read but the surprises were all obvious from the start. Still a good read.

Stormwatch... an entire arc in a split timeline then back to the normal timeline to make it seem meaningless? well whatever. Midnighter's dickchin spike is still ridiculous.

Forever Evil's main story was pretty silly but had some fun stuff as far as the actual Crime Syndicate. Ultraman getting cucked and snorting kryptonite.

I also tried to read shit like the movement and green team but it was the worst stuff I've read in years. Teenage super teams based on the 1% and and occupy? fuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Read some of the kryptonians stuff now:

Superboy: Hahahahaha. I didn't think it could get worse than it had started but then it dives into this shit with more clones and time travel and in one issue they literally use a fucking FLOW CHAT to show what happened to explain everything. A FLOW CHART. Just fucking terrible. Unreadable garbage.

Supergirl: This had a few good issues like when the two Kara's met. When she wasn't acting like a raging psycho or a whiner it had potential. But that wasn't often. Still for DC it was better than normal!

I got hints at what is coming in the Superman comic and I can't wait to hate on that...

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »

Read some of the kryptonians stuff now:

Superboy: Hahahahaha. I didn't think it could get worse than it had started but then it dives into this shit with more clones and time travel and in one issue they literally use a fucking FLOW CHAT to show what happened to explain everything. A FLOW CHART. Just fucking terrible. Unreadable garbage.

the lead-up to/conception of Rebirth in Action/Superman
Spoiler: show
when it's implied/basically flat out revealed that the New 52 Superman and Lois are fakes actually kind of explained why all this was so awful because "Kon-El" was cloned from the shitty fake New 52 Superman
but also just makes me miss the real Kon-El even more.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Batman issue 25 is about to come out and will be running an arc through #32 called The War of Jokes and Riddles about, as you could infer, a fight between The Joker and The Riddler.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
So DC released a bunch of random DC/Hanna Barbara crossovers

Notables include a Suicide Squad crossover with Banana Splits that supposedly does a heavy racism/police brutality narrative

Because I love me some Booster Gold, I am personally interested in Booster Gold/Flintstones

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
Batman issue 25 is about to come out and will be running an arc through #32 called The War of Jokes and Riddles about, as you could infer, a fight between The Joker and The Riddler.

BATMAN #25
Written by TOM KING • Art and cover by MIKEL JANIN • Variant cover by TIM SALE
“The War of Jokes and Riddles” part one! Don’t miss this extra-sized anniversary issue! In his own words, Bruce Wayne narrates a harrowing, never-before-told story of the Dark Knight’s greatest failure…and the horrors it unleashed! In the spirit of YEAR ONE and THE LONG HALLOWEEN, prepare to see a side of Batman you’ve never seen before—get in on the ground floor of a classic Batman epic in the making!

Sounds like a winner.

DTF

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
Finished the Rebirth Volume 1 trade for Harley Quinn (combining issues #1-#7) and if you've read her New 52 run by Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti then this is a lot more of the same style/tone/cast of characters. I did think the artwork was better and enjoy the interplay between Harley/Ivy. The plots vary from bad to average with "good" being few & far between in the New 52 (6 Trades Read) and likely this run. I've gotten used to the supporting characters but I wouldn't necessarily call them good. I'd take maybe a few as characters but most could be jettisoned/axed and I wouldn't shed a tear at all.

I do like that Harley/Ivy are official, in a sense,
Spoiler: show
Harley wanting Ivy to move in with her and Ivy refusing/having reservations about doing so
is an example towards that sort of/sort of not officially together. I love that they are able to be romantic with one another like a real relationship without feeling smutty or overly sexualized to pander to the fappers and Harley's admission that having Ivy by her side because she "gets her" (despite Harley being surrounded by 6-8 of her other supporting characters) during an early scene whilst patrolling an underground secret cavern was a nice spotlight to how their relationship is different and unique for Harley's character.

Recommendation: Worth reading if you're a hardcore fan of HQ or can get the New 52/Rebirth runs on the cheap. Plots vary too much with most being adequate at best. Harley's character is a solid take but she's taken farther in a more hardcore/psychopathic route with the humor very hit or miss and leaning more towards black humor/gallows humored quips than general zaniness. Paul Dini (or even Karl Kesel/Terry Dodson) this is not. The supporting characters mostly suck with a few being passable.

I'll continue with it just because it's HQ and there are glimpses of good here and there as spotty as they may be.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »
I guess I'll post this here, since we don't appear to have a CTDWAT for the TV/L folder:

https://twitter.com/CerromeRussell/status/876502589067735040

MonsterKing‏
@CerromeRussell

Comic book question... What is Earth-2 you doing right now?

Well?

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
Is that the one where it got invaded by Apoklyps and semi-fought them off? I'm dead because the internet went down during it all and I can't live without the board duh.

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
Is that the one where it got invaded by Apoklyps and semi-fought them off? I'm dead because the internet went down during it all and I can't live without the board duh.

That was the new 52 Earth 2. I think the question is more so based around like the Flash TV show version of Earth 2 where its just an alternate timeline where things went different for you.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
I hope I got meta powers and I just use it to like do household chores because I'm still afraid to talk to people.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
Is that the one where it got invaded by Apoklyps and semi-fought them off?

I'm not actually on Twitter, guys, and I'm not going to register just so that I can ask him to explicate his tweet. I just interpreted it as a broad, "What's the version of you that lives in an alternate universe doing right now?" kind of question. Superpowers and/or the presence of superheroes are presumed to be optional.

I'd like to imagine Earth-2 me as having a Lobo-level healing factor, but no other powers, and making a living as a stunt man/bounty hunter "real life" version of the Fall Guy.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
I hope I got meta powers and I just use it to like do household chores because I'm still afraid to talk to people.

So, you'd be DC's version of the Sentry?

Offline The Thread Killer

• Thread's Dead, Baby. Thread's Dead.
  • Snausages
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
My Earth-2 counterpart is identical to me in every way, except he's lactose intolerant.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »
DC's Rebirth: Harley Quinn Volume 2 is worth picking up as it's a massive leap ahead of the first trade collection. It was less raunchy/zany and gave Harley a bit more weight when strictly focusing on her relationships with Ivy and then a returning Joker and her history/once upon a time devoted future with him. The writing and her character really are at their best when she's playing off others rather than being the central key lead IMO. The Santa story tacked on at the end is the best kind of pointless fun that the writing duo can conjure up from time to time with Harley's character.

Also fun seeing the dreams/flashbacks with Harley in 'classic costume' which makes me miss it even more but whatever.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »
so i gave up on DC in the early 30's of the new 52 (and I was skimming hard at that point) but I've been thinking about giving DC a try again because while I still like some individual Marvel a lot the overall picture is a mess. Is there a real point where things pick up where I can jump on? any recommendations?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
Been reading the DC Bombshells AU series (halfway through Volume 4 which collects #19-#24). It's pretty solid for the most part, giving a lot of female characters depth although some of the characters being forced into the time frame feels kind of forced/doesn't quite mesh as smoothly as it could. It worked better when the characters were split apart doing their own thing and now that they've mostly come together, it's kind of feeling a bit sluggish but it had to happen at some point.

Offline Flik

• The Worst Poster In Crossfire
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
DC Rebirth has been pretty damn fantastic to read. I'm interested to see where the current storylines are going. I don't think there's any particular comic or storyline that I've read that I was like "meh, I won't stick it out". Sure, something can be worse than others, but overall, good stuff!

...better by far than the bullshit Marvel keeps dragging out.

Also, Jonathan Kent is the best thing to come out of DC Rebirth.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 15, 2017, 08:05:26 AM »
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/15/16307794/superman-undocumented-workers-white-supremacist-action-comics

Still, the action of preventing a mass murder, which seems in line with Superman’s moral compass, hasn’t come without controversy. Fox News has a column calling the Man of Steel a “propaganda tool for the defenders of illegal aliens,” and the right-wing website Breitbart derided him as “Social Justice Supes.”

SOCIAL JUSTICE SUPES! I like that. I'd consider reading a SJW Superman book.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 13, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
mentioned bendis going to DC in the marvel thread but the other big news is

https://www.avclub.com/dc-comics-has-now-fired-editor-eddie-berganza-over-hara-1820406448

he'd been there for 25 years and seemed like he was untouchable so this is a big one in the comic industry.