Author Topic: Marvel: Our continuity is simultaneously better and worse than the leading brand  (Read 26801 times)

Description:

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
    • View Profile
And it's sticking past Fear Itself too...

Spoiler: show

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
    • View Profile
Nice!

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
Marvel: Our continuity is simultaneously better and worse than the leading brand
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
 Is that Shaw in the Generation Hope cover? Also good to see Illyana out of the brig. And while Colossus Juggernaut will be cool, don't tell me it makes Peter and Kitty star-crossed lovers yet AGAIN. Christ, Scott and Jean even had a few happy years together.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
Marvel: Our continuity is simultaneously better and worse than the leading brand
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
Sure looks that way. I'm annoyed too. Peter and Kitty finally get together and then all this shit happens to keep them apart. And yeah I'm pretty sure that's Shaw in the Generation Hope teaser.

here's some updated teasers:

So yeah, Kitty's with Logan. Also, check out who's in X-Force. Also it looks like Jamie Madrox might be gone from X-Factor, which sucks. But Havok added to the team makes me happy.

Here's the other 'side':

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
I guess with the fanboys lashing out over the noble sacrifice of (all of a sudden everyones favorite character) Nightcrawler, he was bound to be back at some point. Looks like Wolverine is back to being drawn as short and stocky, and Hope continues to be Jean Grey with a gun. Im still waiting for Hope to do something big. Considering she's the Mutant Messiah, they've done little with her. Though to be fair, I did mark out when she was the first line of defense against 'Chosen" Juggernaut.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2011, 04:12:53 AM »
Actually, that's Nightcrawler from the Age of Apocalypse (notice the red tattoo/whatever over his eye). Uncanny X-Force is doing a story right now dealing with the AOA.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2011, 05:00:10 AM »
I haven't started the Feat Itself crossover yet as I'm catching up on all the X-Men crossovers right now and then I should be ready to start it.

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
And it's sticking past Fear Itself too...

Hey, Jubilee, cool.  I got introduced to the franchise via the cartoon, so I was always a bit of a mark for her character.  But, isn't she a vampire now?  I hope they don't just wave a magic wand and pretend that never happened. 

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »
Yeah she's a vampire, I'm reading that arc right now.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
Nope, she's still a vampire, but she's back on the good guy's team thanks to Logan and X-23 and Gambit.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
Full teams have been revealed.

Offline Justice and Rule

• Dangle-Dangle
  • Nightwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
Sweet mother of God, why did there have to be 8 fucking teams?!

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
Looks like someone dug up Warpath.  I was wondering what happened to him since he was excluded from Uncanny XForce.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »
I just realized- Wolverine isn't on X-Force. How does THAT work? Also kind of surprised that Jubilee isn't sticking with Wolverine.

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:21 AM »
Am I missing Archangel up there somewhere? He's always been a favorite of mine.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:16 AM »
Wolverine and Archangel are likely out of X-Force after the current arc ends, Logan probably just because he's gonna do the "Wolverine and the X-Men" thing, but Warren's future is a little more uncertain given what's going on right now.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »
I'm sure Wolverine will continue his tradition of being in a million books.

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
Just read Fear Itself #6

Odin gave Thor the same armor he wore the last time he defeated the Serpent.

Captain America has deputized a Militia/group of Rednecks in Broxton.  They're going after the Serpent with old fashioned hunting rifles!  "All right, you son of a bitch.  Let's see what makes you afraid!"  AMERICA, FUCK YEA!

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
In Fear Itself Iron Man, it looks like Tony is
turning his armor into THE DESTROYER
to fight the Serpent!

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
Fear Itself is done.  This was the laziest finale I've seen in YEARS, even more so than Siege:

"The Mighty" fight "The Worthy".  Yea, Iron Man became the Destroyer but you only see him for a couple panels and he does nothing of note.  Captain America is able to lift Thor's hammer and he fights Sin for a bit.  Thor kills the Serpent by stabbing it in the head, slitting it's throat and throwing it to the the ground.  Thor then DIES in Odin's arms, and is buried.  Odin casts everyone else out of Asgard and seals it off.  Banner and Hulk are now separated, and some other stupid shit goes down.  I was pretty excited for this storyline, but the core story sucked ass.  At least the side stories, especially Avengers Academy and X-Men were well done.

Offline Reign

• View Profile
X-Men and the Academy were good, but this was just a horrible attempt by Marvel and you said it best, LAZY. I mean totally lackluster, nothing happened in the books. It was ridiculous that
Thor dies in this fashion, we hardly see anything even close to a battle between the Worhty and the Mighty. Just plain dumb with the only cool moment being Cap lifting the hammer, which I had forgotten about.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
Well- I read Wolverine and the X-men 1 today- or tried to, at least. This artwork SUCKS. It made me long for the anime style of the late 90's. It was so bad, I couldn't even follow the story at the end. I HATED it. And the sad thing- the story itself was interesting and I'd be willing to read more, with better art!

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
I read Wolverine and the X-Men #1 yesterday.  I like the idea of Wolverine and Kitty being the Headmasters of the Jean Grey School (I especially like the name), but you are right regarding the art.  It's hard to tell what's going on due to the art being so ass ugly.

Offline Marie I

• FLAM
    • View Profile
Can someone help me out? I didn't read all of this thread because I was afraid of spoilers. Anyway, up until last month, I stopped reading comics. I moved to Puerto Rico for about a year and kinda forgot about the hobby. Last thing I read was Siege. What main titles follow that directly? Or what's worth reading after that? I was reading Cap, Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Deadpool, Cable, Secret Warriors, and Thunderbolts from what I remember.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
All of the Dark Avengers were put in jail after Siege, killing the DA book which got replaced with Avengers. As for what each of them are up to now...

-Norman was sent to a super secret mega awesome prison for the worst kind of villains that we just found out existed (and isn't 42/The Raft) but he recently broke out in New Avengers/Avengers and has made a new team of Dark Avengers

-Moonstone is at the Raft and is a part of the new Thunderbolts team which is run as a supervillain rehab type thing where various criminals in jail there get a chance to go out and help Luke Cage, Songbird, Fixer, and Mach V run missions for the Government.

-Scorpion lost the symbiote, which is now in Government control (sort of) and has a new host in a new Venom book.
Spidey cast member Flash Thompson is the new host for the symbiote, but he can only wear it for a limited amount of time before the suit takes control. If that happens his Governnment contacts have a trigger that makes his head explode.

-Daken is... Daken. He has his own series now, as does X-23.

-Noh Varr is an Avenger under the name Protector now

As for Bullseye, well...
Events in Daredevil's book ended up with Daredevil in charge of The Hand, he was then driven insane by an old Hand prophecy, and murdered Bullseye

Mighty Avengers ended and was replaced with Avengers Academy, which followed Hank Pym, Jocasta and Quicksilver from Mighty forming a school which was originally made out to be a school to teach young people how to be heroes like the Avengers, but you find out quickly that the first class is really brought in because they were the ones Osborne messed with the most during the Initiative, and have the highest potential to become villains. It's a really fun book that deals with a lot of stuff from some loose ends from Civil War and Dark Reign as well as just watching the kids 'grow up.'

Steve Rogers let Bucky stay as Cap and started the Secret Avengers, a black ops Avengers team that was to be more pro-active in stopping wars and shit from happening before they start. The original lineup was a great cast with Steve, Beast, Valkyrie, Black Widow, Ant Man (Eric O'Grady), War Machine, and Nova with Sharon Carter as their liason/ride. The interactions betwen War Machine and Ant Man are hilarious.

The most recent Cable series ended leading into Second Coming, where
Cable sacrificed himself at the end to save Hope. Nightcrawler also had a pretty big crowning moment of awesome before he died.

Amazing Spider-man has stayed as great as it's been since Brand New Day. A big crossover just finished called "Spider-Island" where the whole of New York was infested with bed bugs that gave everyone spider-man's powers. A bunch of crazy stuff happened.

A LOT of stuff happened in the X-men world with Second Coming, Age of X, Schism and now Regenesis, plus the latest "big" Crossover Fear Itself.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
Didn't it basically transition right into the Heroic Age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_Age_%28comics%29

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
Avengers Academy s one of my monthly favorites in the comic world.  It has been nothing but fantastic.  One of my favorite stories involving the trainees was the "scared straight" story.  The kids were sent to The Raft to meet the worst of the worst villains.  Some of the trainees disabled the security systems causing all the cells to open.  This was in an effort to kill Norman Osbourne who TALKED them out of killing him.  During this, Hazmat (who is a walking disease battery who has to live in a Hazmat suit) was used as a hostage by random criminal 42B.  She scared him off by telling him something to the effect of "you have until the end of this sentence to let me go, or I'll give you terminal Cancer".  The crook then said something like "OH GOD!  Used to be you guys just punched us in the face, then sent us on our way!".  

Marvel also must have some big things planned for Hazmat. During the Fear Itself debacle, she was one of the few that could actually harm a "Chosen". Something even "The Mutant Messiah", Hope, could not do. Speaking of Hope, she is basically a mutant gene voodoo doll where she can mimic the powers of any mutant around her (and mimic them at master level), and unlock mutant abilities in others. She seems to be quite overpowered which I think is why Marvel doesn't do much with her. She is also apparently the teenage reincarnation of Jean Grey. I still get chills reading the final pages of Second Coming when she finally unlocks her own powers and lashes out in a rage against Bastion. Hope is also apparently in control of the Phoenix Force and is destined (according to the now dead, Bishop) to destroy the world.

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
To anyone that cares, Captain Bucky is going back to being Winter Soldier.

Offline AlaskanHero

• View Profile
Probably for the best. I really liked Bucky as Cap, but he got ZERO respect outside of the main Captain America book.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
How does that work? Sin ripped off his bionic arm and shoved it through his chest.

Oh, and for anyone who cares- both X-23 and Daken have been canceled, though it looks like they'll finish up their current story arcs.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
How does that work? Sin ripped off his bionic arm and shoved it through his chest.

Oh, and for anyone who cares- both X-23 and Daken have been canceled, though it looks like they'll finish up their current story arcs.

Fury used the Infinity formula to save his life after Natasha begged him to, using his last vial of the formula too which means Fury can actually die now or something I guess. The body on the slab in Fear Itself #2/3 whichever was an LMD.

X-23's gonna end up in Avengers Academy, which rules, so there's that. I haven't followed the Daken series since the first arc, but the Runaways show up at the end of the newest issue, which means for the next few issues I'm reading the book again.

Online 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
I read Wolverine and the X-Men #1 yesterday.  I like the idea of Wolverine and Kitty being the Headmasters of the Jean Grey School (I especially like the name), but you are right regarding the art.  It's hard to tell what's going on due to the art being so ass ugly.

I hated the art too. Then I read issue #2. It's way better in print than in digital form, I think I like it.

Offline Scroby

• Low rent Indy Referee
    • View Profile

I hated the art too. Then I read issue #2. It's way better in print than in digital form, I think I like it.

Finally picked up Wolverine and the X-men 1 & 2 today and I can see what you guys mean by the art work. I don't like it that well either but the story is pretty interesting. I guess they're going for some kind of retro comic look but I don't think it'll hold up to well with today's reader also was it me or did Wolverine seem to upbeat and chipper in the first issue? It was almost like Wolverine was kinda the comic relief.
WRONG! I'm perfectly sane everyone else however is insane and is trying to steal my magic bag.

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
Im a little behind on this, but Marvel decided the womanizing Striker from Avengers Academy needed to be bisexual. He came out of the closet to one of the new team members who is also bi. In other news, I like what they're doing with Reptil.

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
I'm still in the early part of Fear Itself since I'm trying to read all of what Marvel is publishing, like I am with DC. Eventually I'll drop whatever I can't get into. Not that impressed with Fear Itself so far.

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
The end is going to royally piss you off. Marvel seems to have forgotten how to not do an anticlimactic ending lately, except maybe for Second Coming.

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
Can anyone point me toward whatever issue of X-Men it was where Cassandra Nova's Sentinel army killed practically every mutant on Genosha?

Edit:  Found it.  Kind of anticlimactic.  GIGANTIC Sentinel shows up, opens fire for a couple panels and that's it.  Professor X's ugly female clone was an interesting villain though.

Oh yea, and now there's this:

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
Professor X's ugly female clone was an interesting villain though.
Whedon did some really interesting stuff with her in his Astonishing X-Men run, if you haven't seen it.  The third collected volume out of his four, iirc. 

Online 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
Uncanny X-Force would be pretty good right now if not for the incredibly shitty art.

eek

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
Oof.  It looks like the kind of picture you'd get on the front of an old-school Castlevania game, except shittier and much less detailed. 

Online 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
It's that bad throughout the whole issue. I haven't started reading the next one yet, but I imagine it's much of the same...

Offline Nymyzys

• View Profile
Professor X's ugly female clone was an interesting villain though.
Whedon did some really interesting stuff with her in his Astonishing X-Men run, if you haven't seen it.  The third collected volume out of his four, iirc. 

I'll be sure to look for it at the comic shop next time I'm there.

FWIW, the X-Force art isn't nearly as bad as the early Wolverine and the X-Men art, IMO. Though it still isn't fantastic. 

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
Does anyone know anything about Marvel Digital unlimited? Like is it worth it? Do you get good shit or just various crap?

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
I've got unlimited digital Marvel. It's called bit torrent;)

If I remember correctly, it has a lot of back issues digitized, but not a lot of the newer stuff. Though with their $3.99 books coming with a digital copy now, maybe that has changed since I last looked into it.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
I've got unlimited digital Marvel. It's called bit torrent;)

If I remember correctly, it has a lot of back issues digitized, but not a lot of the newer stuff. Though with their $3.99 books coming with a digital copy now, maybe that has changed since I last looked into it.

By back issue, do you mean like the Jim Lee run at Marvel? Because I loved that.

Offline Bored

• Boreding Hard
    • View Profile
You can actually view the whole inventory they have without a subscription. There's not a whole lot of Jim Lee era X-Men that you are looking for.

To me the highlights of what they have are entire runs of Walt Simonson on Thor, Frank Miller on Daredevil, and Claremont/Byrne on X-Men. I haven't to this point read much of the newer stuff but they do add quite a bit from the past couple of years, just typically nothing that's been released within the last 4 to 6 months.

Offline 2GOLD

• View Profile
Well right now, I can't read any of the new shit so it doesn't bother me. They have a great deal of Deadpool, which is a plus so I might go ahead and spring for it. I read one of the preview comics and I like how the reader presents them, not clumsy or had to work so that is about plus.

I might give it a whirl for a year and see how it goes. Not much Jim Lee is disappointing though.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
    • View Profile

It's a little early in Miles's "career" for a team-up, but this sounds interesting.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
    • View Profile
Does that mean they're bringing back Peter Parker? Already?!