Author Topic: TRTSM Recommends: Horror/Science Fiction Movies  (Read 5874 times)

Description:

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
Re: TRTSM Presents - Our Own Selected Horror Movies Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »
Here's a few that slipped between the cracks.  Apologies if something overlaps and I didn't spot it. 

End of the Line
The Burning
Black Sheep
Texas Chainsaw 3D
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
Prometheus
Freddy vs Jason
Die, Monster, Die!
Dracula (the Frank Langella one)
Perfect Creature
Cemetery Man
Tokyo Fist
Tusk
28 Weeks Later
Thirst
The Thirst
The Mummy (the Boris Karloff one)

Offline 👩 ✈️ of 🚀

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • View Profile
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
For Aliens/Outer Space: "Galaxy of Terror" directed by Bruce D. Clark (produced by Roger Corman!)

For Werewolves: It would be foolish of me to not nominate "Wolfcop", which was produced in my neck of the woods. I know some of the cast.

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
Some more to add

Tenebre (1982) - Directed by Dario Argento Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers
StageFright (1982) - Directed by Michel Soavi Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers'
Twins of Evil (1971) - Directed by John Hough Vampires
The Legend of Hell House (1973) - Directed by John Hough Ghosts/Haunted Houses
Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922) - Directed by Benjamin Christensen
You're Next (2011) - Directed by Adam Wingard Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers
Lisa and the Devil (1973) - Directed by Mario Bava
Kaidan (1964) - Directed by Masaki Kobayashi Ghosts/Haunted Houses
The Grapes of Death (1978) - Directed by Jean Rollin Infection/Virus Outbreak
Long Weekend (1978) - Directed by Colin Eggleston Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers
The Asphyx (1973) - Directed by Peter Newbrook Ghosts/Haunted Houses
Raw Meat (1973) - Directed by Gary Sherman Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers'
Torso (1973) - Directed by Sergio Martino Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers
Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) Directed by Amando de Ossorio Zombies/Undead Become Living
Horror Hospital (1973) - Directed by Anthony Balch Experimentation/Scientists/Technology
Tower of Evil (1972) - Directed by Jim O'Connolly Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers'
I Drink Your Blood (1970) - Directed by David E. Durston Satanic Killers/Cults

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my uncle's barbeque grill and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit

Offline Incandenza

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
I just noticed that
Possession (1981) with Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani should be on this list. One of the most unsettling films i've ever seen.

Is in the psycho section when it's more an appropriate fit in the Possession/Taken Over by Unknown/Demons category. It's also good for a Films to Show Your Children in the Event of a Divorce category.

Offline Incandenza

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »
Phantom of the Paradise (1974), directed by Brian De Palma, could go in the Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers category.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »
I'd add Creepshow 2 to the anthologies list. Not as strong as the first but still a lot of fun.  Tales from the Crypt & Tales from the Darkside too.

Also, what about a category for the French Extreme New Wave genre: Huate Tension, The Ordeal, Inside, Martyrs....etc etc?
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 02:52:11 AM »
I'd add Creepshow 2 to the anthologies list. Not as strong as the first but still a lot of fun.  Tales from the Crypt & Tales from the Darkside too.

Also, what about a category for the French Extreme New Wave genre: Huate Tension, The Ordeal, Inside, Martyrs....etc etc?

Tales From the Darkside: The Movie is already on the list.  Also which Tales From the Crypt?

As for the French stuff, I hate to say it this way, but simplify it to the categories on the first post.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 04:49:26 AM »
That's definitely more an overall style and approach than it is a sub-genre unto its own. It's like splatterpunk: up the snark/black comedy and levels of gore. Zombies, slashers, vampires, alien monsters, etc.
occasionally streaming sexy things, click below for details

It gets insane, and really speaks to how dumded down we are

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
Re: Nominated Horror Movies Thread Courtesy of TRTSM Posters
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »
I would like to recommend Vacancy. Hitchcockesque, intelligent heroes, first 40 mins or so are pretty suspenseful.

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
Re: TRTSM Recommends: Horror/Science Fiction Movies
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2016, 02:36:53 AM »
The Perfume of the Lady in Black" (1974) (directed by Francesco Barilli) is a great Italian horror film that deserves a bigger cult following. It also belongs in both the Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers genre, as well as Satanic Killers/Cults.

Some films that belong in the Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers" list-"Evil Dead Trap" (1988) (directed by Toshiharu Ikeda) an excellent blend of the slasher and giallo genres that goes into a few unexpected territories. The other is "Maniac Cop 2" (1990) (directed by William Lustig), which is a sequel that manages to be better than the original, and is one of the last great examples of a real exploitation movie to boot. "The Silent Scream" (1979) (directed by Denny Harris) and "Curtains" (1983) (directed by Richard Ciupka) are great examples of how to make a good slasher movie without a lot of bloodshed. Finally, "Blood Rage" (1987) (directed by John Grissmer)  and "Death Spa" (1989) (directed by Michael Fischa) are examples of cheesy 80's slasher movies at their most entertaining-the former having a glorious over the top performance from Louise Lasser.

For Vampires: "The Devil's Wedding Night" (1973) (directed by Luigi Batzella) is a fun little example of Eurohorror, with enough blood, boobs and offbeat elements to keep your interest. "Vampyres" (1974) (directed by José Ramón Larraz) is one of the best erotic vampire movies ever made.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my uncle's barbeque grill and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2016, 04:10:09 AM »
Are we now officially adding sci-fi recs with horror?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2016, 04:23:37 AM »
Sure, why not. We're already blurring the lines with Frankenstein and The Fly so go nuts (or mad scientist as the case may be).

Offline Jingus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2016, 06:35:29 AM »
I would like to recommend Vacancy. Hitchcockesque, intelligent heroes, first 40 mins or so are pretty suspenseful.
Even though I've only seen it once, Vacancy lingers in my mind long afterwards.  It really is an interesting flick, a completely different take on the "home invasion" genre.  (Yeah, it happens in a movie, but it's still basically a home invasion flick and mostly follows the exact same beats as stuff like The Strangers.)  The addition of the video tape was an extra-creepy layer of foreshadowing, the battle of wits between the heroes and villains was much more realistic and plausible than in most movies like this, and I loved having Check Out The Big Brains On BRAD as the lead antagonist. 

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:58 AM »
I guess since sci-fi is fair game, I'll bring up how I finally watched The Martian and fucking loved it.  I think Drew Goddard speaks to me personally.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »
Definitely need to add to this.

Baskin (2015), directed by Can Evrenol - Creepy locations, religious, cult
The Void (2016), directed by Jeremy Gillespie and Steven Kostanski - Creepy locations, supernatural, mad scientist, cult